Please explain

magoo57

The original comment and the comments of others about greiving this supe are fair. But fussing about a supe helping with an over 70? Doesn't the contract cover supervisors moving packages when "the safety of another individual or the integrity of the package" is in question? (The 'integrity' being a package about to be crushed or contents have spilled)

thebrownbox

Yeah in my case the boxes and letters that come in the zipped nylon bags came up the belt at a rate of 5 bags per 30 seconds and I have to grab each bag before they reach the end so we had 3 people working the sorting...

I was pulling bags one guy was scanning and the sup was sorting the bags just helping out.. I mean it was not like he was going be doing it the whole time just until we caught up.

LKLND3380

Yeah in my case the boxes and letters that come in the zipped nylon bags came up the belt at a rate of 5 bags per 30 seconds and I have to grab each bag before they reach the end so we had 3 people working the sorting...

I was pulling bags one guy was scanning and the sup was sorting the bags just helping out.. I mean it was not like he was going be doing it the whole time just until we caught up.

This sounds like they pulled two people and put them in a position without a sorter... OR there was too much flow on the belts...

thebrownbox

This sounds like they pulled two people and put them in a position without a sorter... OR there was too much flow on the belts...

too much flow on the belts.. what happens is when the sup downstairs tells the unloaders to hold a bag they wait awhile look around and kick the bag on the belt, so what happens is in about 25 min the sup is telling everyone to pull and hold a bag because upstairs is blown out with bags..

I remember when they had me up trying to pull bags.. sometimes I would get 7 in a row and I was running out of room and I almost tripped over one of the bags.

livinitup

Personally, i think the part time hourly rate should be adjustable per building. There are Macdonald's are here that pay almost the same as ups this area. Why would you want to work your :censored2: off for $8.50 an hour when you can flip burgers for the same amount.

It says in the contract the at the wage rates are to be minimums. They can pay more but, they choose not to, which results in turnover.

HazMatMan

Ok so it's the end of the unload this morning and we're running late so my sup starts loading up bulk on a cart to move. Then one of the guy's that's been there a while starts yelling that he's gonna file a greivance b/c the sup was working. Are you serious?!?!?! Is the union really like this? I mean :censored2::censored2::censored2:?!?!? hOW ABOUT TEAMWORK? We all work for the same company don't we? Why the hell can't he help get us out on time. Seeing this really disappointed me. Has the union turned ya'll in to big cry babies????? I thought I was working for a good company, but it looks like everyone is just out for themselves just like every other company in America!

Very disapointed!!!!!!!!!!

Your kidding right?? You need to read your contract, WE THE TEAMSTERS get paid to move boxes, drive the brown trucks, etc....etc...
Maybe if management wasn't sending people home so quickly and then working themselves, you wouldn't be running late in the mornings. You are probably the same type of person who is going to vote yes on this garbage contract also...You will be entering management real soon I can tell..

dillweed

I remember when they had me up trying to pull bags.. sometimes I would get 7 in a row and I was running out of room and I almost tripped over one of the bags.

I've been in that spot. Never, ever, ever drop a bag or pkg where you might turn around and trip over it. Let the stinking things go on down the pike where the folks running belts will pick it up and run it back through the system.

thebrownbox

I've been in that spot. Never, ever, ever drop a bag or pkg where you might turn around and trip over it. Let the stinking things go on down the pike where the folks running belts will pick it up and run it back through the system.

yeah thats what I did I was in no way going to try and injure myself trying to grab bags and had no place to put them.

LKLND3380

too much flow on the belts.. what happens is when the sup downstairs tells the unloaders to hold a bag they wait awhile look around and kick the bag on the belt, so what happens is in about 25 min the sup is telling everyone to pull and hold a bag because upstairs is blown out with bags..

The sort aisle is a MAJOR egress issue almost every day with bags piled knee high... I have seen people in the sort aisle actually walk/climb over bags...

LKLND3380

Your kidding right?? You need to read your contract, WE THE TEAMSTERS get paid to move boxes, drive the brown trucks, etc....etc...
Maybe if management wasn't sending people home so quickly and then working themselves, you wouldn't be running late in the mornings. You are probably the same type of person who is going to vote yes on this garbage contract also...You will be entering management real soon I can tell..

One of the drivers in the building just filed a grievence not too long ago for supes working on preload... $1,200.00 (I think it was settled and paid already)

Supes were told they could not touch another box... I don't know what happened but a few days ago ALL the supes were on one of the belts splitting and pulling work... Time for more grievences...:happy-very:

F

forgottologin

The sort aisle is a MAJOR egress issue almost every day with bags piled knee high... I have seen people in the sort aisle actually walk/climb over bags...

Yeah I only had to do that once but not too many people walk around during sorting so it's not much of an issue. But the narrow walkway is one of the issues you have to look out for.

happy harry

It is one thing when everyone is working and fully staffed to get the job done, but when they plan to get the job done each day using sups it's another. There are times when we have preloaders laid off or sent home while sups are loading and thats not right. They want us to live by the contract and they should try to do the same. That is not a gray area as they call it. We do all work for the same company and want it to succeed, but lets try playing by the rules set up by both sides and get along the best we can.

Totally agreed

happy harry

Ok so it's the end of the unload this morning and we're running late so my sup starts loading up bulk on a cart to move. Then one of the guy's that's been there a while starts yelling that he's gonna file a greivance b/c the sup was working. Are you serious?!?!?! Is the union really like this? I mean :censored2::censored2::censored2:?!?!? hOW ABOUT TEAMWORK? We all work for the same company don't we? Why the hell can't he help get us out on time. Seeing this really disappointed me. Has the union turned ya'll in to big cry babies????? I thought I was working for a good company, but it looks like everyone is just out for themselves just like every other company in America!

Very disapointed!!!!!!!!!![/quote

Philly. You have to question the situation from both angles. First of all from a union standpoint was there anybody else who could have helped with the wrap up? Was the building/area fully staffed? Were all negotiated steps exhausted before using sups to work?
The union's #1 job is to protect the union and protect jobs. By allowing little things like this to go on it becomes past practice because nobody said anything the 1st time. Supervisor's do violate the contract and in situations like this I think grievance's do warrant results.

Now from a management standpoint you again have to ask the same question's as above. If they were all exhausted then the supervisor has the power to do what he needs to run his area.

LKLND3380

Yeah I only had to do that once but not too many people walk around during sorting so it's not much of an issue. But the narrow walkway is one of the issues you have to look out for.

Well they wrap up a truck in bay 1 - the unloader and sorter move down to bay 5... The sorter has to climb over bags and this goes for everyone on the sort aisle as each person wraps up a truck...

thebrownbox

Well they wrap up a truck in bay 1 - the unloader and sorter move down to bay 5... The sorter has to climb over bags and this goes for everyone on the sort aisle as each person wraps up a truck...

Yeah I've had to do that but bay one sucked since stuff from Data Acq and the Air driver all coming down at once.

UPS Lifer

Apparently nobody informed you what this union is about. It's us vs management -- simple as that. Not by our choice, UPS has made that decision with their choice of management style. It has nothing at all to do with being a cry baby, it's about protecting the work of union members. That supervisor doesn't pay dues, therefore he has no entitlement to be doing that work. You need to think about the big picture, that supervisor is doing that work and how many other supervisors are working across the USA at that same moment? More people need to be like that guy who threatened to file, it's a dying breed at UPS. Our paychecks all come from UPS, but you should be a Teamster first. It's about knowing your rights, sticking up for them, and forcing UPS to adhere to the contract they agreed to.

The biggest problem I see is the management vs Teamster philosophy that every one of your posts have. You come to work every day to battle management. What a shame! You must have been a warrior in another life (lol)! Nothing will EVER get fixed with that attitude LOL!!! Anyway....

Believe it or not there are some management that do their best to honor the contract! I know this sounds hard to believe!

In our district, supervisor working grievances were out of control. Top management and union officials met to figure out how to stop this problem.

You got one chance to fix the problem if your operation got a grievance for supervisors working than the manager had to explain to the district manager why it happened and what was going to be done to fix it. I actually had to discipline supervisors. As you know ...some have very thick skulls!!!

Part time and full time supervisors understand the numbers game and in their short sighted vision, they thought they were helping to improve their numbers. But at what cost?

Supervisors who are working, are not supervising...DUH! They can't train, or monitor safety or monitor any condition in their area of responsibility. I really believe that the hidden costs of working far out way any "number" you get. During peak - nobody went home until the work was completed and the supervisors monitored the work. If a skilled job such as haz-mat responder was not available because that person was on another spill than an unskilled employee or two (by seniority) was right there with a supervisor doing the job necessary.

There is always a way to honor the contract.

This same tactic can be done in the driver ranks as well. I started this back in the 1980's. Using designated meet points for late air. I used the same approach for peak season. The drivers in certain loops would meed at a predetermined time and help each other so that they would all get in at roughly the same time. It is called TEAMWORK! It does work and it works well!

happy harry

The biggest problem I see is the management vs Teamster philosophy that every one of your posts have. You come to work every day to battle management. What a shame! You must have been a warrior in another life (lol)! Nothing will EVER get fixed with that attitude LOL!!! Anyway....

Believe it or not there are some management that do their best to honor the contract! I know this sounds hard to believe!

In our district, supervisor working grievances were out of control. Top management and union officials met to figure out how to stop this problem.

You got one chance to fix the problem if your operation got a grievance for supervisors working than the manager had to explain to the district manager why it happened and what was going to be done to fix it. I actually had to discipline supervisors. As you know ...some have very thick skulls!!!

Part time and full time supervisors understand the numbers game and in their short sighted vision, they thought they were helping to improve their numbers. But at what cost?

Supervisors who are working, are not supervising...DUH! They can't train, or monitor safety or monitor any condition in their area of responsibility. I really believe that the hidden costs of working far out way any "number" you get. During peak - nobody went home until the work was completed and the supervisors monitored the work. If a skilled job such as haz-mat responder was not available because that person was on another spill than an unskilled employee or two (by seniority) was right there with a supervisor doing the job necessary.

There is always a way to honor the contract.

This same tactic can be done in the driver ranks as well. I started this back in the 1980's. Using designated meet points for late air. I used the same approach for peak season. The drivers in certain loops would meed at a predetermined time and help each other so that they would all get in at roughly the same time. It is called TEAMWORK! It does work and it works well!

I agree 100%

rushfan

It felt so good to bring in a load for preload (it was late due to weather) and see the stress of the drivers. I said to them, "driver sort and load" I got the 1 finger salute from a number of them. After 10 years of being in their position, I can say I am enjoying this peak season.

SimpleUPSer

Supervisors who are working, are not supervising

I am unsure of how many others out there feel this way, but the majority of management folks in our district do not want to be moving packages, regardless of the reason why. They want to be supervising. Sounds like we have an easy resolution, we just need it to be enforced and accepted from the top down.

Brown Dog

Brown since 81
It really is simple- We all do what the contract says we should be doing and we don't do what the contract says we should not be doing. Sups doing hourly work without exhausting all potential hourlys is a violation of the contract and SHOULD be grieved. Hourlys not doing work as directed are also in violation of the contract and are usually called on it. We ALL have to abide by the contract or suffer the consequences. Live by the sword, die by the sword- hopefully nobody has to die:funny: