Polio the Next "Pandamic"?

Non liberal

My generation just missed the polio epidemic, but we were able to see the fallout. Every community had several cripples, maimed by the virus, stumbling around town. When I was five, this was explained, as we watched a wabbling cripple on crutches struggle to get over the curb onto the sidewalk.
Polio was a horrible disease, but I believe it was made a whole lot worse because of unsanitary conditions. When polio was bad was before homes had indoor plumbing. In the cities the feces would run down the edges of the streets and the children couldn’t help to get in it while outside playing in the summer time. Also people didn’t have running water to keep their hands clean. This is part of the reason why it’s so bad in third world countries. Indoor plumbing pretty much took care of the polio crises. Cases really started to fall when that happened right before the vaccine came out. So, in other words, I don’t think we have to worry about here unless the strain has been “doctored” some how.

MyTripisCut

Never bought my own handtruck
Polio was a horrible disease, but I believe it was made a whole lot worse because of unsanitary conditions. When polio was bad was before homes had indoor plumbing. In the cities the feces would run down the edges of the streets and the children couldn’t help to get in it while outside playing in the summer time. Also people didn’t have running water to keep their hands clean. This is part of the reason why it’s so bad in third world countries. Indoor plumbing pretty much took care of the polio crises. Cases really started to fall when that happened right before the vaccine came out. So, in other words, I don’t think we have to worry about here unless the strain has been “doctored” some how.
Yeah right, I have noticed over the years that most men don’t wash their hands. Wipe, wipe, then go eat a steak? Yuk!