Populist Indeed!

dmac1

For whatever reason, a certain percentage of the American populace seems to think that they will prosper under the current POTUS; please consider the following:

- The appointment of Betsy Devos: There’s not a lot of critical thinking required here. Let’s face it, the privatization of the public school system will undermine teacher’s unions and ultimately empower the corporate entities that Mrs. Devos unequivocally represents. How anybody could possible think that this appointment “drains the swamp” is beyond me me.

When parochial religiopus schools start getting tax dollars to operate, I'm going to be laughing at all of them when the Supreme court says they can't discriminate based on religion, and Muslims start opening up madrassas all over the country with money backing from all the 'bigly bad' Muslim countries.

dmac1

Right man. Even during her senate confirmation hearing DeVos clearly pointed to an emerging double standard when she refused to require equal accountability from taxpayer supported private schools. And yes go into a church run school and take a good look. It's not education . it's mind control. And wait until the for profit private schools get their hands on all that taxpayer money.

It will be no different than private contractors getting taxpayer dollars for services that the armed forces used to provide for themselves. Republicans believe that people with a profit motive do a better job, while ignoring that it is a massive transfer of taxpayer dollars into private hands. People talk about the government like it isn't part of our country. A huge part of making profit is cutting services(personnel) they deem as unnecessary.

And you can bet that operators of private schools will set up in areas distant from the poverty stricken, making it no easier, and in most cases even harder for them to get a good education when tax dollars are collected from their neighborhood and spend elsewhere.

bbsam

Staff member
True, but does being President mean he should let the Russians run over other nations as long as they wait until AFTER the election?
Russia is now talking about a "post Western" alignment in the world. Who's letting the a Russians run over him? Who is president when Moscow speaks so candidly about the west's decline? President Donald J. Trump.

vantexan

Yep.We need Jesus in the schools. That will fix it.
If kids believe in something greater than themselves it won't cure everything, but it'll certainly be a good start. If a kid believes he shouldn't even try drugs, or get drunk, or knock up a girl, or stick a gun in someone's face, because it's the right thing to do, how much better off will we all be?

DriveInDriveOut

Inordinately Right
If kids believe in something greater than themselves it won't cure everything, but it'll certainly be a good start. If a kid believes he shouldn't even try drugs, or get drunk, or knock up a girl, or stick a gun in someone's face, because it's the right thing to do, how much better off will we all be?
Some people need religion to be a good person, some people don't. To each his own.

bbsam

Staff member
No better at all. 99% of kids will already tell you he believes those things. But life happens and kids do things.

vantexan

Russia is now talking about a "post Western" alignment in the world. Who's letting the a Russians run over him? Who is president when Moscow speaks so candidly about the west's decline? President Donald J. Trump.
He just got into office, not seeing anything but talk from the Russians so far. But it's a fact that the Russians invaded Ukraine after Obama's last election. Same election where they tried to pass off the killing of our Libyan ambassador as outrage over a YouTube video to make voters believe all was well under his direction.

vantexan

No better at all. 99% of kids will already tell you he believes those things. But life happens and kids do things.
Baloney, drugs are rampant, abortions are rampant, kids get drunk and cause accidents, etc, because they don't have a foundation to stand on. Not all teenagers, but certainly enough of a percentage to make society much harsher, much coarser, than when I was a kid. And it looks like the far Left wants it that way.

DriveInDriveOut

Inordinately Right
Baloney, drugs are rampant, abortions are rampant, kids get drunk and cause accidents, etc, because they don't have a foundation to stand on. Not all teenagers, but certainly enough of a percentage to make society much harsher, much coarser, than when I was a kid. And it looks like the far Left wants it that way.
th

bbsam

Staff member
No. You don't get it.

People SAY things all the time. Kids SAY they shouldn't drink and do drugs. They SAY they know all these things. They SAY they believe them.

SAYING means little.

DriveInDriveOut

Inordinately Right
If you say so. Interesting that you're defending illegal drug use. Guess you believe if it feels good, do it. Consequences don't matter.
I guess you need the government to tell you right from wrong, and decide what you're allowed to do with your own body.

I'm not sure why you think "if it feels good, do it" is a new idea. Horace wrote Odes over 2000 years ago. Carpe Diem is not a 21st century invention.

And just so you know, drug use has been on the decline across the board for 20 years, so your argument was invalid from the start.