Possible Heat Stroke + Yelled At By Sup

EazieUPS

Realization of Managment
I used to always laugh at people when they had a problem with management. But today has crystallized, the disregard of safety. Production over people's well being especially in this "Illinois Heat Wave".

Background + Safety
I never had a problem with heat, cause I was mostly on the sort aisle and we have fans that keep us somewhat cool while we sort. These trailers, on the other hand, have been sitting out in 94 Degree temperature out for hours, and make it almost unbearable to work in at a fast-moderate pace w/ out getting dizzy.

I'm a very "keep it to myself", kind of guy. So when I have a problem such as being sick, mildly hurt, or etc. I don't go running to Mr. Sup, I do my work as fast as possible with no complaining unless it's life-threatening. In this case today, I was doing trailers filled with bulk and it wasn't an easy 5hrs and 21 minutes until I lost it. I've noticed that management upholds there safety protocol at the beginning of the unload, sort, load, and etc session. But, when it gets closer to the end of the day. Pressure comes to supervisors exceptionally and then onto the us "hard workers". This results in serious violations and harassment to GET THE JOB DONE NOW! Keep in mind, I've never experienced this type of heat b/friend, cause I've always been on the sort aisle.

My Story
The day started off with a sweat-drenched t-shirt and my supervisor was nice to let me cool down in a cooled trailer designed to cool off workers. I was not at my peak performance as I usually am when the trailers aren't 100+ Degrees and I'm unloading bulk after bulk trailer. 8:00 comes around and I'm starting to feel extremely sick (light-headed after each bulk item, loss of energy, Sking is red and hot, and dizziness when I'm bending over to pick up it up.) I'm working at my own pace, even with these problems I'm experiencing. I have only 2 pallets left, and there is a 135 lb piece of bulk on the floor and I ask my bulk sweeper to help me lift it. I also let my bulk sweeper know that I'm not feeling too well, he acknowledges and asks if he said he should grab a sup? 2 pallets left, near the end of the night, and High-Tolerance not too complain. So I say no, just help me out here.

My supervisor comes storming and yells at my bulk sweeper to go back up to take the bulk off. My sup starts screaming at me, about how I'm slow as :censored2:. (Not the first time and not the last, But come on now.... this bulk.) My bulk sweeper lets my supervisor know that I haven't been feeling well and he's trying his best. He then goes on this rant about how everybody else is sick and I completely lost it on him. I yell at him,"that I'm working at my own pace for my safety and if it something goes wrong, It's on you now, since you want to push me past my boundaries with this heat." I get a nice-sarcastic reply of "if you really feel that sick, go home". I reply with alright, I'm going home. He seemed in shock and in a panic with the reply, "Wait, are you serious".
Replied w/ yes.

Long ago, I had another feeling of a possible heat stroke and somebody had reported it to my past supervisor. He had said for me to sit down, cool off, and come in if you feel better tomorrow. This supervisor breaks the cycle of over-aggressive production harassment to workers struggling.

Conclusion
Like I said earlier, I rarely complain about my problems with mgmt. But I need to know my options, what I could have done better, and etc. I think I should have reported it earlier, to the supervisor of my problems. This could have been my fatal flaw, which resulted in his rant/etc. Sorry, to keep this long.

Please reply with comments on what you think. Was in the wrong or right in some areas, etc?

Daf

You are completely right. Management doesn’t care one bit about your health and safety until after you are injured. You should share this story with the corporate complaint line.

Gondola101

Interdasting
You do realize that this is manual labor, right? The temperatures will be high, the boxes will be heavy at the start of the week (expecially after missing a day of production due to the Labor Day holiday). Some days will be :censored2:tier than others, and some days the sups will be on your ass because they need to make numbers. The best you can do is what you did, tell your supervisor if you’re not feeling well, but you’ve gotta realize if you’re a package handler you’re one big replacable part in the big UPS machine and most supervisors are hard pressed to get good numbers, which is why some of them yell and get up in your face when you aren’t outputting in the heat when others are doing fine. Personally, I think heatwaves are child’s play compared to what an Illinois winter can do in a hub.

Box Ox

He then goes on this rant about how everybody else is sick and I completely lost it on him. I yell at him,"that I'm working at my own pace for my safety and if it something goes wrong, It's on you now, since you want to push me past my boundaries with this heat." I get a nice-sarcastic reply of "if you really feel that sick, go home". I reply with alright, I'm going home. He seemed in shock and in a panic with the reply, "Wait, are you serious".
Replied w/ yes.

Know what supervisors hate the most? When you play it totally cool while not giving them what they want.

Cite your safety, work safely, take care of yourself and don't worry about all that blabber coming out of your sup's mouth. That's all they've got, and why they get scared when they realize it doesn't have the affect they wanted.

If a sup bothers you a lot or gets close enough that it feels like he's baiting or trying to intimidate you, file grievances for oversupervision/harassment/hostile work environment. You're a Teamster. He's just the bottom of the management barrel.

EazieUPS

You do realize that this is manual labor, right?
Yes, I've stuck my neck out in the most extreme cases and never complained/ got my work done. I signed up to get paid to work out and to better myself in weight/fitness. Not to have a supervisor lose his cool on a trailer that has 2 pallets left with someone who isn't feeling well. Don't mean to sound entitled, but the supervisor has a fiduciary responsibility to ensure the safety of the network of employees. It's clear he didn't follow this.

UnconTROLLed

perfection
You should have reported the injury w/ Liberty Mutual and then gone to the ER. Heat stroke can lead to organ failure, and a host of other issues, so it's definitely a work-related condition and possible injury(ies)

just chillin'

Rest in peace wooba
what I could have done better

puke on his shoes index.jpg

IESucks

Realization of Managment
I used to always laugh at people when they had a problem with management. But today has crystallized, the disregard of safety. Production over people's well being especially in this "Illinois Heat Wave".

Background + Safety
I never had a problem with heat, cause I was mostly on the sort aisle and we have fans that keep us somewhat cool while we sort. These trailers, on the other hand, have been sitting out in 94 Degree temperature out for hours, and make it almost unbearable to work in at a fast-moderate pace w/ out getting dizzy.

I'm a very "keep it to myself", kind of guy. So when I have a problem such as being sick, mildly hurt, or etc. I don't go running to Mr. Sup, I do my work as fast as possible with no complaining unless it's life-threatening. In this case today, I was doing trailers filled with bulk and it wasn't an easy 5hrs and 21 minutes until I lost it. I've noticed that management upholds there safety protocol at the beginning of the unload, sort, load, and etc session. But, when it gets closer to the end of the day. Pressure comes to supervisors exceptionally and then onto the us "hard workers". This results in serious violations and harassment to GET THE JOB DONE NOW! Keep in mind, I've never experienced this type of heat b/friend, cause I've always been on the sort aisle.

My Story
The day started off with a sweat-drenched t-shirt and my supervisor was nice to let me cool down in a cooled trailer designed to cool off workers. I was not at my peak performance as I usually am when the trailers aren't 100+ Degrees and I'm unloading bulk after bulk trailer. 8:00 comes around and I'm starting to feel extremely sick (light-headed after each bulk item, loss of energy, Sking is red and hot, and dizziness when I'm bending over to pick up it up.) I'm working at my own pace, even with these problems I'm experiencing. I have only 2 pallets left, and there is a 135 lb piece of bulk on the floor and I ask my bulk sweeper to help me lift it. I also let my bulk sweeper know that I'm not feeling too well, he acknowledges and asks if he said he should grab a sup? 2 pallets left, near the end of the night, and High-Tolerance not too complain. So I say no, just help me out here.

My supervisor comes storming and yells at my bulk sweeper to go back up to take the bulk off. My sup starts screaming at me, about how I'm slow as :censored2:. (Not the first time and not the last, But come on now.... this bulk.) My bulk sweeper lets my supervisor know that I haven't been feeling well and he's trying his best. He then goes on this rant about how everybody else is sick and I completely lost it on him. I yell at him,"that I'm working at my own pace for my safety and if it something goes wrong, It's on you now, since you want to push me past my boundaries with this heat." I get a nice-sarcastic reply of "if you really feel that sick, go home". I reply with alright, I'm going home. He seemed in shock and in a panic with the reply, "Wait, are you serious".
Replied w/ yes.

Long ago, I had another feeling of a possible heat stroke and somebody had reported it to my past supervisor. He had said for me to sit down, cool off, and come in if you feel better tomorrow. This supervisor breaks the cycle of over-aggressive production harassment to workers struggling.

Conclusion
Like I said earlier, I rarely complain about my problems with mgmt. But I need to know my options, what I could have done better, and etc. I think I should have reported it earlier, to the supervisor of my problems. This could have been my fatal flaw, which resulted in his rant/etc. Sorry, to keep this long.

Please reply with comments on what you think. Was in the wrong or right in some areas, etc?
There's usually a point in every upsers employment that they finally realize ups doesn't care about them. It was your turn

WTFm8

Next time just spray diarrhea and vomit everywhere after saying you don't feel good/overheated. LOL

I know when I 'overheated' doing cell tower work, especially in the south, I about :censored2: myself a few times in the high heat/humidity from working too hard.

eats packages

Deranged lunatic
Did you get water anytime that day?
Why go home when you can work even slower, frequent water breaks, and not get heat stroke as a result. Seniority rules dude.

Operational needs

Virescit Vulnere Virtus
Realization of Managment

Background + Safety

My Story

Replied w/ yes.

Conclusion

Hydrate. Hydrate. Hydrate.

PeakMode

Arrive Peak Leave
I tried to read all of that but I didn't see water or hydration so...start and keep drinking fluids throughout your work day. You are responsible for your safety. Management at the end of the day cares only about how quickly you get their task list down.

burrheadd

KING Of GIFS
Realization of Managment

Background + Safety

My Story

Replied w/ yes.

Conclusion

Find someplace cool and call 911

F

Frankie's Friend

You do realize that this is manual labor, right? The temperatures will be high, the boxes will be heavy at the start of the week (expecially after missing a day of production due to the Labor Day holiday). Some days will be :censored2:tier than others, and some days the sups will be on your ass because they need to make numbers. The best you can do is what you did, tell your supervisor if you’re not feeling well, but you’ve gotta realize if you’re a package handler you’re one big replacable part in the big UPS machine and most supervisors are hard pressed to get good numbers, which is why some of them yell and get up in your face when you aren’t outputting in the heat when others are doing fine. Personally, I think heatwaves are child’s play compared to what an Illinois winter can do in a hub.
"Package handlers are one big replaceable part"?

They sure are. The turnover rate is phenomenal in that position. The company knows this well.

I remember the story about the kid who died of a heart attack in Florida unloading trailers in the heat.

Get a grip dude. This is about a good employee that got sick and was harassed. You response was typical management garbage.

Future

Victory Ride
You are completely right. Management doesn’t care one bit about your health and safety until after you are injured. You should share this story with the corporate complaint line.
Ummmmmmmm ...... they don’t give a flying :censored2: either

oldngray

nowhere special
Realization of Managment

Background + Safety

My Story

Replied w/ yes.

Conclusion

you suck.png

F

Frankie's Friend

Ummmmmmmm ...... they don’t give a flying :censored2: either
It took a zillion phone calls but they finally removed one of our management personnel by using the 800 harassment line.

They should have fired him but at least they moved him somewhere else to be watched...far, far away.

Jackburton

Gone Fish'n
It took a zillion phone calls but they finally removed one of our management personnel by using the 800 harassment line.

They should have fired him but at least they moved him somewhere else to be watched...far, far away.
Thanks for that, Georgia isn’t that far.