Post office or Fedex?

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Dude express and ground are on a decline. One will be a part time company the a Frieght company humping 150 lb boxes and furniture. The other will be overstaffed and you'll be lucky to get 32 hours a week. By the way express will find a way to get rid of you when they know the job can now be done by a high school drop out. USPS IS your best bet, don't let these fools lie to you, I know because I worked for both of them!

Ground is on the decline? Really??

bacha29

Ground is on the decline? Really??
Not declining or regressing but rather restructuring and redeploying it 's capacity . No question that Ground will be hauling what we call "boulder in a box". 100 to 150 lb. motor freight stolen off the LTL's. We began to see it about 2 years ago and it's only going to grow. It will tear apart those stepvans which are nothing more than 1-2 ton running gear As long as everything somehow managed to be stuffed into those vans the fact that they were overloaded weight wise, that was the contractors problem. Bust springs busted center pins, busted cross members, they didn't care as long as it went out the door.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I see you like to count your chickens before they're hatched.

Ground is not going anywhere; yes, the type of packages that they pickup and deliver may change, but they will continue to be the more profitable opco.

Express is transitioning to a part time opco.

Time to buy more stock!

bacha29

Ground is not going anywhere; yes, the type of packages that they pickup and deliver may change, but they will continue to be the more profitable opco.

Time to buy more stock!
Before you that you better look at things like the Moody'd bond rating, analyst's opinions, forward looking guidance , debt to equity ratio, balance sheet, forward looking EPS , might change your mind..Oh, and don't forget the $ 468 million dollar hair ball it has to hork up to settle class actions involving employee misclassification and they are just the opening round.

Exec32

FedEx ground model has run its course under the radar for the past 20 years. The gig is up, I know they all ready anticipated these scenarios and have contingencies, however there best days are behind them. It's going to become more difficult to keep up with those inflated returns they have enjoyed.
This will be before the supreme Court one day soon because to many companies in different industries are attempting to do what they have, Wright out the use of employees and call them contractors ,.

Cactus

Just telling it like it is

Time to buy more stock!
Knock yourself out.

Ground sucks and with X demanding more, more and more good people are gonna be tough to come by. They may be the most profitable opco now but their glory days are numbered.

bacha29

FedEx ground model has run its course under the radar for the past 20 years. The gig is up, I know they all ready anticipated these scenarios and have contingencies, however there best days are behind them. It's going to become more difficult to keep up with those inflated returns they have enjoyed.
This will be before the supreme Court one day soon because to many companies in different industries are attempting to do what they have, Wright out the use of employees and call them contractors ,.
I don't know if you guys have been watching but the U.S. Dept of Labor and the U.S. Dept of Justice are enrolling states in a cooperative program designed to track down employers calling their people " independent contractors". Last count 31 states have signed on. In addition there have been a couple if bills introduced in the U.S. House to crack down on this practice but only target construction contractors initially. Some time in the future there will be a final legal definition of what an "independent contractor" actually is. What will drive it is the guys hurt on the job and go to the hospital with no workman's comp along with billions in unpaid taxes.

MondayLates

You must be joking. The USPS is losing money at an extraordinary rate. It's another one of those wasteful government programs that need to and will eventually be cut.

The primary reason they are struggling is because Congress has made a concerted effort to defund them as a first step towards privatization. They are required to fund their pension program 75 years into the future. FedEx and UPS would be just as ruined with such a plan.

"No other public agency or private enterprise in America is required to take on such a financially crippling burden as the pre-funding of future retiree health benefits," the statement said. "Because Congress has failed, as yet, to reform the pre-funding mandate (or to reduce its burden), the Postal Service has turned to a doomed cost- and service-cutting strategy that has the potential to drive business away."

Postal Service 'Unlikely' to Make Health and Pension Payments

MassWineGuy

My understanding is that all first class mail sent from one coast to the other flies on FedEx jets. That brings in several hundred million annually.

Purplepackage

Ground is on the decline.

Express is now a part time company.

Instead of raises this year they will take a dollar of your hourly rate.

Cameras are in the trucks recording you.

The sky is falling........................................................................

BootsOnTarmac

My understanding is that all first class mail sent from one coast to the other flies on FedEx jets. That brings in several hundred million annually.

We fill our outbound planes with USPS with priority, not necessarily knowing their (USPS) commitment. Express has a contract with the USPS and will send whatever they put in a can (ULD) to wherever they want us to send it. You are correct, they are our biggest customer. They (USPS) pack the containers so tight and heavy I believe they flip them on the back and load them from the top!

MassWineGuy

Instead of raises this year they will take a dollar of your hourly rate.

Cameras are in the trucks recording you.

Are you just guessing? You mean they will apply the would be raise to their bottom line?

How do you know for sure about any cameras?