Prayers for Birmingham facility

Catatonic

Nine Lives
Recently a friend of my grandson hung herself.
She did so after her mother remarried and moved to another state.
Some of her friends blamed her death on the mother ... they are 14 years old.
None of the adults said they thought it was the mother's fault.

upschuck

At the time the focus was on the President departing by helicopter on the other side of the property.
So, are you ok that he could of planted something. My point was, if someone can walk into the WH with all their security measures, they could find a way into any UPS building in the country, if they wanted too.

CHALLY9TX

The White House example is a poor one. They CAN make it more secure but they choose not to. The issue there was the slow response by the security/FBI/secret service... An official stated that the simple solution was to close down the street but they choose not to so people/tourists can get close to the WH and take pictures and whatnot.

Sent using BrownCafe App

Brn

This story has really bothered me since it happened.

Sounds to me like almost everyone @ that center knew this guy had serious mental issues and did nothing other then stay clear of him..someone should have reached out to him, the supervisors should have offered him counseling. I think we are offered free counseling aren't we ? Unfortunately it's too late now and innocent people were murdered.

So what do we need to do as fellow employees, center managers and sups next time ?

Did he have fellow co-workers/ friends that tried to help him ? I'm trying to put myself in this situation and I think all I could have done was to say something to management and then it would be in their hands, wouldn't it ? I don't know ...it's sad and certainly a wake up call.

And was the union rep a help or did he or she not give a crap about this guy either and wanted to rid of him...

Sorry many questions ....

cosmo1

Perhaps.
Staff member
After my hand was swabbed for explosives at an airport, I said "You didn't find anything, did you?". Probably not the best response. Glad they were more reasonable than the border patrol.

Been there, done that. Damn near got arrested.

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
You can only reach out so much. Knew a guy lost his job, got it back, EAP. I never asked never knew, just saw him at the bar one night, and said you should not be doing this, it only replaces that.
Last time I saw him was there, he got fired again the next day. His response to me was are you my mother or my friend, stfu. So I said I am your friend, which you dont have many now, do you need a ride? No he didnt, I left, and never saw him again.
He was a great friend, I thought til then. Had a lot thrown at him marriage wise.
He was a good person. Heart of gold, it ruined him, I have no idea how a bad marriage could ruin his life. Or anyones. I guess it is the mindset, we need to teach resiliance in schools.

10 point

A driver was walking past a driver supe that I was talking to this week about 9 o'clock on Tues AM before the shooting took place.

The supe turned his attention away from me and stared at the driver as he walked by and asked me "is there something wrong with Chad?". I asked him why he asked me that and he said "he doesn't look right for some reason" and he went over to talk with him.

That's a good supervisor.
Someone that just shows caring for employees when they only have to monitor numbers.

That's what fixes things before they break.

bleedinbrown58

That’s Craptacular
A driver was walking past a driver supe that I was talking to this week about 9 o'clock on Tues AM before the shooting took place.

The supe turned his attention away from me and stared at the driver as he walked by and asked me "is there something wrong with Chad?". I asked him why he asked me that and he said "he doesn't look right for some reason" and he went over to talk with him.

That's a good supervisor.
Someone that just shows caring for employees when they only have to monitor numbers.

That's what fixes things before they break.
True, but most sups don't give a schnit.

worldwide

I wonder how many of the shooters fellow union members tried to help him or if his shop steward did anything to try to help. There are a lot more union brothers and sisters than supervisors and business managers. Based on one article out there, the other drivers avoided this guy...

10 point

Agreed. But anymore with how life is, often our page is so full, written past the margins and all over the back.

Management is on call even during vacations and at all hours of the night here. It's ridiculous. Paying homage to the money god.

It's mind control. We allow it.

Should this driver have just quit a long time ago if the job was bringing out the worst in him? What is a person's soul worth? I'm guessing he would never have seen himself do what he did. None of his family and friends did.

We just continue working in an environment that pressure makes us less than we are as spouses and parents to pay our accumulated bills.

This supe in our building wants to quit. There's just not a lot of options for great pay and benefits out there but if it's turning you into someone you don't like it's maybe time to reevaluate what's most important.

bleedinbrown58

That’s Craptacular
Agreed. But anymore with how life is, often our page is so full, written past the margins and all over the back.

Management is on call even during vacations and at all hours of the night here. It's ridiculous. Paying homage to the money god.

It's mind control. We allow it.

Should this driver have just quit a long time ago if the job was bringing out the worst in him? What is a person's soul worth? I'm guessing he would never have seen himself do what he did. None of his family and friends did.

We just continue working in an environment that pressure makes us less than we are as spouses and parents to pay our accumulated bills.

This supe in our building wants to quit. There's just not a lot of options for great pay and benefits out there but if it's turning you into someone you don't like it's maybe time to reevaluate what's most important.
What are they going to say...that they knew he was a timebomb? Some of his coworkers claim they weren't all that surprised.

browned out

What will be more important is what isn't said in the termination letter because there is always more going on.

The final grievance hearing or arbitration most likely was audio recorded by the Teamsters. In our area; all panel hearings are audio recorded and saved by the Union for at least a year. I do not know if they are recorded in AL.

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
In my opinion, the murderers disciplinary issues and the outcome of his grievance hearing are irrelevant. He murdered two innocent people in cold blood and there is absolutely no justification or mitigation for his actions.

10 point

All this exposure to coworkers and management and no intervention?

Disciplinary issues and past behavioral issues (alleged) are pieces to the full picture we see today.

I could tell you of our local issues with a superviser that parallel this issue and many wondered if he'd come back to our building and get even for being moved.

He should have been fired and barred from the property.

He's STILL working for the company just not in our area.

The company reaps what it plants.

More and more hourly feel and see that there's no justice at UPS when the company own the court room.

Are we all responsible for our own actions? Absolutely.

Based on facts presented across this forum the whole truth is not so black and white.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
All this exposure to coworkers and management and no intervention?

Disciplinary issues and past behavioral issues (alleged) are pieces to the full picture we see today.

I could tell you of our local issues with a superviser that parallel this issue and many wondered if he'd come back to our building and get even for being moved.

He should have been fired and barred from the property.

He's STILL working for the company just not in our area.

The company reaps what it plants.

More and more hourly feel and see that there's no justice at UPS when the company own the court room.

Are we all responsible for our own actions? Absolutely.

Based on facts presented across this forum the whole truth is not so black and white.
It is what it is
It gray