Prayers for Birmingham facility

bleedinbrown58

That’s Craptacular
I can accept being delayed and inconvenienced by legitimate security procedures.

What I can NOT accept...is having my time wasted by MAKE BELIEVE security procedures.

A minimum-wage unarmed guard sitting in a booth and ignoring the continous beeping of a malfunctioning metal detector is not security...it is a joke. And I dont find it funny or take it seriously.

Either do it right or dont do it at all. Unarmed security...isnt.
I totally agree...yes it would be a PITA...but being delayed entering and exiting due to legitimate security procedures wouldn't be the end of the world...I'd be okay with it.

upschuck

I can accept being delayed and inconvenienced by legitimate security procedures.
Most people wouldn't. In my center, when they change security guard people, they are anal with what they do, line to get through metal detector, and people are go crazy until the procedure changes, which it usually does in a few days with grievances and such. Remember the complaints on here when UPS tried the only see through plastic bags, if you wanted to bring one in(invasion of privacy)? Most people will say that close to an incident, but when there is a little distance in time, people just want to get through quickly.

bleedinbrown58

That’s Craptacular
No person is secure if someone really wants to kill them. Just look at the White House, probably as secure as it gets, and some maniac jumps the fence and walks right in.
Agreed and people sneak explosives and weapons on airplanes sometimes too....should we just dismantle the TSA?

upschuck

Agreed and people sneak explosives and weapons on airplanes sometimes too....should we just dismantle the TSA?
After my hand was swabbed for explosives at an airport, I said "You didn't find anything, did you?". Probably not the best response. Glad they were more reasonable than the border patrol.

UPS has zero tolerance for violence.....

Yeah right; They promote it because it is one of seven cardinal infractions.

I am surprised my hub hasn't had an employee go Parcel on our management team.

Let's see aside from part time supervisors getting female union members drunk and raping them...they brag about it.

There is always the sexist culture of discrimination and "this is our hen house" syndrome.

There are some sick people that work for UPS both management and union.

The more power they think they have the more they mess with our livelihood....

Safety is joke to our management team; you get injured you have an option of accepting a bribe of guaranteed hours for not reporting it or be harassed and fired.

I opted to report mine and can't count how many times my management team hasn't sent people to try and provoke me into a fight.

I never take the bait.

Then there is the denial of vacation time and the statement "if you want a day off you have to call in sick" (because you report an injury and they want to fire you).

Then the silliness with writing you up for lates. (If only the lazy sup would post our start times on Friday; I might not have intentionally been late).

The culture here is bad, I've kept my head up but I'm sorry to hear about others who fail to do what I do every day.

We have so many people here that just manipulate the company and use they're authority to abuse the system.

At the end of the day everything looks really hopeless.

bleedinbrown58

That’s Craptacular
Not working at the time of going through the shack, so WAD doesn't apply.
There is a UPS sign inside the shack at my building that states that all employees are required to cooperate with security guards...then goes on to list all prohibited items and blah blah blah.

upschuck

There is a UPS sign inside the shack at my building that states that all employees are required to cooperate with security guards...then goes on to list all prohibited items and blah blah blah.
Ours too, I think, but signs don't stop a whole lot from going in or out. All we do entering is show ID, but if there is a line to exit, that is when people start filing and fussing.

The Other Side

Well-Known Troll
Troll
For ONE day, our security at the gate stepped up inspections of bags, lunchboxes and such, but today, back to business as usual, they dont even get up to scan us or look at anything.

Laughable at best, the stepped up checks lasted one day.

Its a miracle that more shootings havent occured.

TOS.

wayfair

swollen member
For ONE day, our security at the gate stepped up inspections of bags, lunchboxes and such, but today, back to business as usual, they dont even get up to scan us or look at anything.

Laughable at best, the stepped up checks lasted one day.

Its a miracle that more shootings havent occured.

TOS.

They go through everything here, lunchboxes, backpacks, ice chests, etc... what pisses me off are the drivers who bring 2 backpacks, get a friggin locker

upschuck

Another murder from a fired worker, this time in OK, but not at UPS.

MOORE, Okla. — A man who had been fired from a food processing plant in an Oklahoma City suburb beheaded a woman with a knife and was attacking another worker when he was shot and wounded by a company official, police said Friday. Read more...

What a horrible way to go.

Ms.PacMan

Joe, a husband and father, passed by at least one company supervisor and a security guard on his way into the building. He shot Hutcheson first, and then went into Callans' office and shot him. He then left the office and turned the gun on himself.

According to this article http://www.al.com/news/index.ssf/2014/09/funerals_set_for_2_men_gunned.html

It looks as if security wouldn't have helped because they weren't on the look out for him and it reads as though neither the supe or the security guard even challenged him.