Prayers for Birmingham facility

hellfire

no one considers UPS people."real" Teamsters.-BUG
I think most hourly employees that have spent any time at UPS knows that murder isn't justified, but UPS breeds a culture where you almost expect these types of incidents. Workers are pitted against each other, and you basically have to screw someone or break a rule to to accomplish the goals that UPS has set for us. If you somehow manage to do what is expected, you get nothing but more work. Like has been said, they treat everyone of us like a criminal that they just haven't caught, yet.

We sacrifice our bodies, our families, and basically our entire life for this company. A decent paycheck is not enough justification for so much sacrifice at times in such a stressful, thankless job. I don't think it's right to put ALL of this on the shooter. There are lots of employees that could do this if UPS takes the one thing they still have, because UPS has taken everything else in many cases. I bet we all work with people like this. Their wife left because they are never home, their body is broken down, and all they have is this job. It's all they know, and without it they are nothing.

I know every person I work with wasn't surprised that this happened. It's been a long time coming, and I think most people probably don't expect this will be the last time either.
im afraid as drivers get home and get the news this will be the consensus

oldngray

nowhere special
The man who killed two former co-workers and then himself at a UPS shipping center Tuesday had told some people that he was having problems at work but never suggested the situation might turn violent, his pastor said.

Joe and his wife have two children, and they've been members at NorthPark Baptist Church since 2003, said the church's pastor, Bill Wilks.

Wilks described the 45-year-old Joe as being "troubled" over his work and financial situation.

bleedinbrown58

That’s Craptacular
there is a retirement section on this site for people like him.
Oh sorry....you were one of those who disagreed that supervisors don't deserve to die for doing their jobs poorly and acting like ********. The country's population would plummet if that were valid criteria to kill someone! There's a Log Out button for people like you!

Last edited by a moderator:

HEFFERNAN

Huge Member
As much as some of you would like to lay blame on the employee/management system here, UPS is not to blame.

As a driver, it takes a lot to get fired. Stupidity, Ignorance, or a cardinal sin you most times get a second chance. If you lose at a panel hearing, it was probably a no-brainer.
This isn't the only business that unstable people lose their heads when they get fired. It happened in my state 4 years ago at HDI when a fired employee went through the building and gunned down 8 people. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hartford_Distributors_shooting

The problem here as a long time UPS driver is if you do get forced out, you think you can never recreate that industry-leading pay and benefits.
The truth is that the people that I've met after they left are the happiest people and found great job opportunities to use their skills.

My prayers to the 3 families for their loss.

Last edited:

bleedinbrown58

That’s Craptacular
The man who killed two former co-workers and then himself at a UPS shipping center Tuesday had told some people that he was having problems at work but never suggested the situation might turn violent, his pastor said.

Joe and his wife have two children, and they've been members at NorthPark Baptist Church since 2003, said the church's pastor, Bill Wilks.

Wilks described the 45-year-old Joe as being "troubled" over his work and financial situation.
OG, I read in a different article off of a google news search that the gunman went to panel last week and lost. They didn't say what he was fired for.

hellfire

Oh sorry....you were one of those who disagreed that supervisors don't deserve to die for doing their jobs poorly and acting like *********. The country's population would plummet if that were valid criteria to kill someone! There's a Log Out button for people like you!
wow... i asked for opinions of those currently employed by ups and there opinions of day to day interactions...********? really?

Ron Carey lives on

Live life outside of Ups. They don'tcontrol you or own you. " management by stress" is an old tactic. If you feel that you can't talk to your family about the stess of your job, find someone to talk too, but more importantly don't get stressed.Learn to decompress. Thoughts and prayers to the departed's families.

Sent using BrownCafe App

bleedinbrown58

That’s Craptacular
wow... i asked for opinions of those currently employed by ups and there opinions of day to day interactions...*********? really?
I wasn't calling you one...I was referring to the.actions of management. Day to day interactions? Yes....management sucks...this is nothing new. UPS is not a warm and fuzzy place to work and never will be.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
your not a hourly employee,, nor currently employed by ups... why you are spamming this thread is strange.You have no idea about the current hourly/operations relations.. please let those of us who currently work for ups and see this discuss it
there is a retirement section on this site for people like him.
Yes there is (it's called a forum) and there is a management forum of which most of the posters are actively employed Union UPSers.

I don't consider myself "spamming" but rather presenting empirical-based and rational alternatives to the rather emotional, egocentric and uncaring posts on this thread.

But that's just my opinion.

Jackburton

Gone Fish'n
Yes there is (it's called a forum) and there is a management forum of which most of the posters are actively employed Union UPSers.

I don't consider myself "spamming" but rather presenting empirical-based and rational alternatives to the rather emotional, egocentric and uncaring posts on this thread.

There is a lot of bitterness towards management as of the last few years. This has lead to a much different work enviroment than the one you had previously known. This disconnect is felt by those down in the trenches and is being brought out by this incident that the majority aren't surprised by. While you are entitled to express your opinion, those hourlies working under this new enviroment aren't at the mercy of it, as they have first hand experience, which you do not.

hellfire

try the scientific method ideology...simple is not always the best,, and like i said,, you are a ex employee with NO current idea of operations hourly management

Catatonic

Nine Lives
There is a lot of bitterness towards management as of the last few years. This has lead to a much different work enviroment than the one you had previously known. This disconnect is felt by those down in the trenches and is being brought out by this incident that the majority aren't surprised by. While you are entitled to express your opinion, those hourlies working under this new enviroment aren't at the mercy of it, as they have first hand experience, which you do not.
As you and others do not have first-hand knowledge of how lower management is treated at UPS in all areas.
It has never slowed you or the others from throwing in your two-cents.
BTW, it was two UPS management active employees who were shot.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
try the scientific method ideology...simple is not always the best,, and like i said,, you are a ex employee with NO current idea of operations hourly management
The two UPS employees who were killed were UPS management of which you obviously are clueless.