Pre-Employment Drug Screening

I just wanted to know if anyone could tell me the pre-emploment drug testing policy for UPS. I am not sure if they even do test, or if it varies in different areas. I would like to know which areas do test if it works like that. If they test by jobs, I was curious about the "package handler" position.

If someone could help me out, i would appreciate it.

Last edited:
NeedInformation101 said:
I just wanted to know if anyone could tell me the pre-emploment drug testing policy for UPS. I am not sure if they even do test, or if it varies in different areas. I would like to know which areas do test if it works like that. If they test by jobs, I was curious about the "package handler" position.

You are joking right? Don't do drugs and you shouldn't have to worry about a thing. To become a package handler, you have a manditory drug screening.

It involves pissing in a cup.

Other than that... I can't help you.

Geeze, I should have known people would react like this. I dont even work for UPS yet. I was considering getting a job as a package handler. The drug I am concerned about them finding is marijuana, which I am sure many other people are concerned with as well. I dont feel that I am such a horrible person for wanting to know this. If you could just answer my question it would be appreciated, I think others could use a response on it as well. Now you said you have to take manadatory drug tests. Do you take a urine test prior to getting hired, as a pre-employment drug screening? Like I asked earlier, does it vary by area? Are the mandatory drug tests, random all the time or what.

And for your information, I have acutally quit my marijuana use, and was simply curious about the policy.

over9five

Staff member
If you haven't smoked in a while, you're all set. You can resume toking after you're hired. There is no random testing for inside people.

Fredly000

Just Another in Brown
There was no pee test for me. And Random Drug tests can occur
(for those inside, just read the policy board posted somewhere in the building)
Just be upfront and don't lie about it if they ask you during an interview.
if you Lie you might as well not even apply.

dannyboy

From the promised LAND
Fredly: But if you dont lie, and tell them that yes I use illegal drugs, you think your chances are better?

Need: As a practical matter, you stated that you no longer use the drugs. If that is the case, then you do not have to worry about it. Just make sure you do not have a record with the police department/judicial system because they will check that up front. And if you lie about anything that they might find on it, they will not even call you to tell you no.

And as Fredly stated, they can, if they think or suspect you might be under the influence, have you tested. And unless I am mistaken, if they decide to do a random test, and you are chosen for that test, they have that right.

Best thing is to not use illegal drugs. Kinda like staying honest. Lots less to remember and worry about. Keeps life simple.

d

mauser8mm19242

There is no pre employment drug testing. There is only drug testing if they suspect any drug use.

kingOFchester

I don't use drugs.
Have not had any alcohol in over 3 years. Not because it was a problem, just because my better half doesn't partake so it was easy to follow the lead.

That said, no I was not tested when I started at UPS. If they did at my building, 1/2 the crew, inluding p/t sups probably wouldn't be there.

Yes, they can randomly check your urine if they suspect use on the job.

Opinion: If one chooses to smoke a little MJ after work rather then drink a few beers, I don't think that is anyone's business. Personally, other then the legality of the issue, I would rather have my kids have a pot problem then a booze problem.

Shame on those who are judging the OP. Why be so judgmental?

OOPS....didn't see that this thread is from 2006!! Oh well. perhaps it's time to let this thread die?

herbigharo32

When I was hired at UPS, the background check involved felony criminal background and a discloser stating that random testing can occur. Moreover, testing takes place any time there is an accident too. For inside employees, they do not check for misdemeanors, credit scores, and personal references.

When I was hired at UPS, the background check involved felony criminal background and a discloser stating that random testing can occur. Moreover, testing takes place any time there is an accident too. For inside employees, they do not check for misdemeanors, credit scores, and personal references.
They may say that for any accident you will be drug tested, but that just ain't so, Joe. I have had too accidents in my 20 years driving. I was tested both times, but I know of at least two(maybe more) that were not. Someone on here has said that the level (Tier I,II, or III) made the determination.