Pregnancy Females?

brownieworker

I know a lot of you are men, but does anyone have any experience with this at UPS? lol I am a PT'r I am scared to tell them I am pregnant and have a weight constriction because I have heard of stories of having no light duty work. Then what? STD. When does that run out. Any chance I could lose my job? Any Females in here? I'm stressing out here.

bigbrownhen

I worked up until the end of my 8th month. I am a driver though, not a loader and had no restrictions. There are others here who have done it as well as loaders. The short-term disability lasts 6 mos to my knowledge. Check with your local, they can give you the info there. The bennifits are different for a high risk pregnancy vs a normal one I think.

Is this a high risk pregnancy? If so, then of course you have to be careful, and go on disability. Follow your doctors advice. If not, if you do the work safely, then you can work quite awhile. Just watch your lifting. It is amazing how much we use our tummies for lifting.

The most important thing is to take care of yourself and the little one. Everything else will work out one way or another.

dillweed

Congratulations, mom-to-be!

Although I have never experienced pregnancy at UPS I have known several who have. One woman worked probably into her 8th month as a preloader. Another left work as soon as she knew she was expecting. Most don't stay for the duration as it's such strenuous work.

bigbrownhen offered great advice, especially to take care of yourself and the baby.

Your doctor will help you determine any restrictions and should be glad to provide paperwork for the company.

Also, keep in mind that most co-workers will be more than glad to help with heavy or awkward packages. I have come to realized that most of our young, strong men really want to help and are wounded when a hard-ass female refuses their attempts. So don't hesitate to ask for help or set something to the side if you feel uncomfortable with it. Take care of yourself, the little one and let them know how you're doing all along. Keep us posted!

brownieworker

Wow. Thank you very much both of you. :happy2:This helped me out bunches! I will try and stick it out. I am just worried about the falling boxes. I'll let you know what happens.

shedevil

try to wait until you are 20 weeks...there is NO light duty...you can go out on "short term" dissability @ 20 weeks...be sure to contact HR and get directed to insurence so you don't loose benifits....and you'll be eligible for partial compensation while you are on dissability...don't breath a word of your weight restriction...until 20 weeks a get your doctor to write you a new weight restriction @ 20 weeks after you give birth..you get 6 more weeks dissability for a vag birth and 8 weeks for a c-section...

deleted9

try to wait until you are 20 weeks...there is NO light duty...you can go out on "short term" dissability @ 20 weeks...be sure to contact HR and get directed to insurence so you don't loose benifits....and you'll be eligible for partial compensation while you are on dissability...don't breath a word of your weight restriction...until 20 weeks a get your doctor to write you a new weight restriction @ 20 weeks after you give birth..you get 6 more weeks dissability for a vag birth and 8 weeks for a c-section...

Did you ever hear of a word FRAUD, bad advice

I am planning on starting a family - we have started trying - I was worried about this issue as well - I like UPS - the hours are good - it's short hours, but not too short - great benefits, etc. And I do not want to leave when I conceiv.

I am just worried about my independent stubborn attitude at work and my upcoming pregnancy. A lot of the boxes are very heavy - and I will be asking people to help me out with multiple boxes upon multiple boxes which I'm sure that my supervisors will get annoyed with very quickly due to the fact that the heavy boxes might block egresses, pile up etc. My MAIN concern is falling, tripping, falling boxes and the main welfare of me and my growing baby. I have NO problem whatsoever doing whatever tasks UPS asks me to do during my pregnancy as long as they are safe tasks. I would hope that they'd put me up at sorting or unload or something like a clerk or a helper with pre-loaders... or a sorter - but I A) don't know if there are those available spots B) if they're even obligated to try that or C) if their main goal will be to fire me because I'm pregnant and useless.

Would you suggest I talk to my union rep/shop stewart when the time arrises? The day I get a positive test result I should be upfront I believe... is this the right way and the right UPS way to go about this? Thanks.

And congrats to the other mom to be!