Retiree Father - Student Dependent

chuckjack123

My father recently retired and I am still a dependent on his insurance. I am only covered as long as I am taking full-time classes in college.

I graduate in a month and am wondering if it would be possible to stay on his policy while paying out of pocket and whether this would be cheaper than getting my own plan. Does anyone have any experience with a situation like this? I should hopefully only need it for about a month while I look for a job.

I'm currently with Blue Cross Blue Shield Team Care.

Wally

BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns
Dad should have not retired. You don't need those headaches. Shove his arse in a third rate nursing home first chance you get!

Johney

My father recently retired and I am still a dependent on his insurance. I am only covered as long as I am taking full-time classes in college.

I graduate in a month and am wondering if it would be possible to stay on his policy while paying out of pocket and whether this would be cheaper than getting my own plan. Does anyone have any experience with a situation like this? I should hopefully only need it for about a month while I look for a job.

I'm currently with Blue Cross Blue Shield Team Care.
You are only covered until the age of 25 and are a full time student. They will need proof of you being a student(Teamcare form)from when til when. I went through this when I retired for my youngest son.

bottomups

Bad Moon Risen'
You are only covered until the age of 25 and are a full time student. They will need proof of you being a student(Teamcare form)from when til when. I went through this when I retired for my youngest son.
Not everywhere. My son stayed on my insurance until age 26 even though he had access to his own insurance through work. Just had to pay $145/month.

Trucker Clock

I graduate in a month and am wondering if it would be possible to stay on his policy while paying out of pocket

No

You are only covered until the age of 25 and are a full time student.

Correct

Didn't cost me anymore than the $400 a month for the wife and myself.

Correct

Teamcare

End of Dependent Child Coverage

Your dependent’s coverage under the Retiree Health Plan RU and RV ends on one of the following, whichever is earliest:

• The date your child becomes eligible for Medicare (other than eligibility based on end stage renal disease), even if they don’t elect to take part in Medicare Part B.
  • The date you become covered by another TeamCare plan, because you returned to work.
  • The first month you or your spouse stop paying the monthly coinsurance for coverage.
  • The date your coverage terminates for any reason other than death or commencement of eligibility for Medicare benefits.
  • The date you lose your Retiree Health Plan eligibility as a result of a voluntary withdrawal by your employer from TeamCare, either before or after retirement.
  • The date your child turns 19; or the day they turn 25, if they are no longer a qualified student or mentally and permanently physically disabled.