pregnancy

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
Never had the pleasure of disabilty when I had children, but I think you can get it 6 wks before and 6 wks after. Until then I have seen women do thier regular jobs including as driver, until 6 wks before, because nothing hurts you when pregnant, that you are used to doing, unless you are for some reason put at high risk, and then I believe you could get disability also. Not that you should not take better care of yourself, and maybe not lift the o/70s but you are suppose to get help with those anyway. And as for here, PT has those benefits as well as FT.

smf0605

I don't think there is TAW for part-timers, They could put her in the small sort until she needs to take time off, but I don't think it is UPS's obligation to do this. They can't fire her either. I guess they could make her life miserable and hope she quits..

TAW is for workers' comp only .... I don't think this falls under wc

outta hours

Here you go article 16:

Section 4. Maternity and Paternity Leave
It is understood that maternity leave for female employees shall be granted with no loss of seniority for such period of time as her doctor shall determine that she is physically unable to return to her normal duties and maternity leave must comply with applicable state and federal laws.
A light duty request, certified in writing by a physician, shall be granted in compliance with state or federal laws, if applicable.
Paternity leave shall be granted in accordance with Section 6 of this Article with the exception of employees not able to meet the qualifications set out in Section 6, who shall be granted leave not to exceed one (1) week.
Notwithstanding any provision to the contrary in any Supplement, Rider, or Addenda, an employee shall be allowed to designate in any vacation year paid time off up to twenty (20) days, to be used in the next vacation year, in accordance with this paragraph. Any paid time off that is provided on a weekly basis can only be banked in weekly increments. The accrued paid time off may be used in the next vacation year to cover any period of time that (1) the employee is determined to be unable to perform her job due to pregnancy (for the father, time off is requested due to the birth) and (2) is not covered by the FMLA, existing disability plans or other paid time off. If the accrued time off is not used in that year, it will be paid to the employee within two (2) weeks of the request. If the vacation is not used as part of the leave, and it would have originally been taken in that vacation year, the employee shall also have the option of rescheduling the unused vacation as time off in accordance with local practice.

In reality TWA should be renamed to CCA ( Cover the Company's A**). TWA exists so the company can cut back on the number of lost time accident days and to lower the cost of Worker Comp claims, thus lowering the amount UPS has to reimburse the insurance carrier. That is why TWA is not usually offered to off job injuries. Here, the union has disability for off job injuries, it may extend to extended illnesses also, maybe even pregnancy.

pregnantworker

my sister is a UPS part-time sup and she's 4 months pregnant and they forced her to take disability she just wanted to make a "light duty" request and save her 6 mo disability for later so that she didn't have to rush immediately back to work or risk being unpaid but now they forced her to take a disability leave stating that she was unable to lift 70 pounds is that fair or more importantly legal

over9five

Staff member
If she is a part time sup, then she never touches packages anyhow.

ha....haha....hahahha...HAhahaha.HAHAHAHAHHAHAAHAHHAHA!!!!!

But seriously, how do they justify forcing someone to take disability because they can't lift 70 pounds when the contract says they can't touch packages????

AND, I don't know about the rest of you but imho PREGNANCY is NOT A DISABILITY!

We have drivers who've worked right up to their due date. Someone on this site did, I hope she chimes in. If a driver can do it, a p/t sup should be able to.

Tell your sis congrats, anyhow!

UPS Lifer

my sister is a UPS part-time sup and she's 4 months pregnant and they forced her to take disability she just wanted to make a "light duty" request and save her 6 mo disability for later so that she didn't have to rush immediately back to work or risk being unpaid but now they forced her to take a disability leave stating that she was unable to lift 70 pounds is that fair or more importantly legal

If your sister's doctor states that she can lift 70 lbs. , UPS cannot force her to take off work. Light duty is up to UPS, it is not automatic when a condition results that limits your ability to work. However, that being said, you may have to also look at the your state laws that pertain to disability.

One other factor to look at.... Is this the normal practice in your area or state. For example, are there other cases of women working in similar positions under the same circumstance. If there are, you may have a good case for the labor board.

But before you go that way... I would suggest using the resolution process that is available to union free employees.

Good Luck!

klein

Für Meno :)
She should be happy, she gets insurance pay.
It's not the case up north.
It's 6 mths unemployment pay.

But, then again, it's not up to the company when to let you leave.
Should never be that way.

Do you have 1 yr option as well ?
6 mths with pay, and 6 mths leave with no pay ?

brownIEman

If she is a part time sup, then she never touches packages anyhow.

ha....haha....hahahha...HAhahaha.HAHAHAHAHHAHAAHAHHAHA!!!!!

But seriously, how do they justify forcing someone to take disability because they can't lift 70 pounds when the contract says they can't touch packages????

AND, I don't know about the rest of you but imho PREGNANCY is NOT A DISABILITY!

We have drivers who've worked right up to their due date. Someone on this site did, I hope she chimes in. If a driver can do it, a p/t sup should be able to.

Tell your sis congrats, anyhow!

um, the contract does not say anywhere that supervisors cannot touch packages. Part time sups have to be able to do the work of hourlys for training and safety purposes. A heavy irreg falls on someone, I suppose your interpretation of the contract would be the part time sup should say "just sit there and bleed for a while as I go try to find a barganing unit employee to help lift that off ya".

Is it wrong for the company to force a pregnant person who wants light duty to take disability instead? Dunno. Is it right for a person who gets pregnant to try to force a company to create a non-productive busy work position and keep paying them the same money?

As for pregnancy and disability, I agree with you to a degree. Have seen women who were pregnant and worked almost up to the point of delivery. However, thinking this should aply to all women is naive in the extreme. Pregnancy is not the same for any two women. Some women are built such that they can work through. For some, it is more difficult and working late into the pregnancy could increase the risk of situations like miscarriage, still birth, or other problems that could lead to losing a child. Not really worth it in my opinion.

over9five

Staff member
um, the contract does not say anywhere that supervisors cannot touch packages. Part time sups have to be able to do the work of hourlys for training and safety purposes. A heavy irreg falls on someone, I suppose your interpretation of the contract would be the part time sup should say "just sit there and bleed for a while as I go try to find a barganing unit employee to help lift that off ya".

Oh come on, BrownIEman! We have p/t sups doing bargaining unit work every day. I think you knew what I meant.

Is it wrong for the company to force a pregnant person who wants light duty to take disability instead? Dunno. Is it right for a person who gets pregnant to try to force a company to create a non-productive busy work position and keep paying them the same money?

Non productive...what??? She's a p/t sup! I think she can still do her job while pregnant. Most of her job has to be supervisory, not physical.

As for pregnancy and disability, I agree with you to a degree. Have seen women who were pregnant and worked almost up to the point of delivery. However, thinking this should aply to all women is naive in the extreme. Pregnancy is not the same for any two women. Some women are built such that they can work through. For some, it is more difficult and working late into the pregnancy could increase the risk of situations like miscarriage, still birth, or other problems that could lead to losing a child. Not really worth it in my opinion.

And this woman wants to work. Other women with far more physical jobs (ie drivers) have worked right up to their due date. Shouldn't the individual woman decide what is right for her? Treating pregnancy like a disability is "naive in the extreme".

brownIEman

Yea, I knew what you meant, we do have pt sups working too much.

I think you missed the point where she requested light duty. If she had wanted to work through, like the drives you and I have known, why would she ask for light duty? Asking for light duty basically means you have a physical condition that would prevent you from meeting the requirements of the job. Yes, a sups job is mostly supervisor, but they must be physically able to do the work for the reasons I mentioned. So, if she is unable to meet the reauirements of the job due to a physical condition, that is pretty much the definition of disability.

bigbrownhen

It can be done, I worked up until the 9th month, took off the last 4 weeks. Doctor said if it was what my body is used to, it would be fine, just be more aware of what you are doing, and use the methods. I was fine, there are several women at UPS who have done this, on both sides of the fence.

sillyputty

Well, this has been an interesting thread. I have over 10 years in p/t and just found out I am pregnant- though only about 5 weeks along at this point. I have been concerned about work- I work reload. I'm not sure at what point I should let them know and what they will want to "do with me" once they do find out. I haven't seen a doctor yet so don't even know what is safe or unsafe to do. I work in a cold area so I'm not thrilled about the exhaust I'll be inhaling every night for the next few months, or the cold....

sillyputty

This is old, but I just found it here- http://pupsinc.homestead.com/sexharass.html

Opinions?

Pregnant UPSers Are
Being Denied Health Benefits

NABER has learned of UPSers in North Carolina and in Nebraska who have lost heath benefits during pregnancy. In both cases, the UPSers were denied the opportunity to go to "light duty". Pregnant employees seem to be "unequally accommodated" for doctor imposed weight restrictions.

The Nebraska woman was also denied disability. UPS also refused to allow the woman to enroll in her husband's (another UPSer) health plan. This woman's mother staged Informational pickets at UPS facilities twice. And then only after invoking help from the Department of Labor did UPS allow the woman to be on her husband's insurance with the special enrollment privileges that are guaranteed by federal law.

In North Carolina, a full-time package car driver was allowed "short-term" disability but denied alternative work. Her insurance ran out after the 26 week disability ended which was 3 months before the baby due date.

According to the UPS SPD (Summary Plan Discription) for full-time employees

"If you're unable to work due to an on-the-job injury or an off-the-job injury or illness, you and your covered dependents will continue to have medical coverage for up to the 12-month period following the date your disability began."
Pregnant full-time UPSers would fall under that coverage.

A TDU article[/FONT][FONT=Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif] contends, "UPS is imposing a company-wide policy change that denies pregnant woman with health restrictions the right to perform alternate duties." This article claims UPS is sidestepping federal FMLA (Family Medical Leave) through a prerequisite of 1250 hours of work the previous year. reports on other UPSers who are victims of pregnancy discrimination.

With corporate citizens like UPS, it's little wonder why the United States of America ranks 35th in the world in infant mortality. The US is ranked just above Croatia (36), Cuba (37), and South Korea (38). UPS always talks about doing what is "right" for its employees. Then the company needs to step up to the plate to reduce infant mortality by covering pregnant employees. Is UPS responsible for the high rate in infant mortality? Of course not, but corporate policies like UPS’s and Wal-Mart’s (2 of the biggest private employers) have had an effect of rising the percentage of uninsured Americans which has added to the problem.

If you reside in California, you have the right to reasonable accommodations.

Your employer must provide you with any reasonable accommodation for pregnancy, childbirth, or related medical conditions that you request with the advice of your health care provider (e.g., changing your break schedule to allow for more bathroom visits)

You have the right to be transferred to a less strenuous or dangerous position during your pregnancy if you provide medical certification of your doctor and your employer can accommodate the request. You can also get a transfer if your employer has a policy of transferring temporarily disabled employees to less strenuous positions. When your doctor says that the transfer is no longer medically needed, you have the right to your old job back.

whiskey

It can be done, I worked up until the 9th month, took off the last 4 weeks. Doctor said if it was what my body is used to, it would be fine, just be more aware of what you are doing, and use the methods. I was fine, there are several women at UPS who have done this, on both sides of the fence.
"And use the methods". Must of been a UPS Doc..Congrats on that life experience.

Well, this has been an interesting thread. I have over 10 years in p/t and just found out I am pregnant- though only about 5 weeks along at this point. I have been concerned about work- I work reload. I'm not sure at what point I should let them know and what they will want to "do with me" once they do find out. I haven't seen a doctor yet so don't even know what is safe or unsafe to do. I work in a cold area so I'm not thrilled about the exhaust I'll be inhaling every night for the next few months, or the cold....

You have your rights as any woman does. Apply for INTERMITTENT family leave so you can take time as needed for your pregnancy. INTERMITTENT will allow you to take it in increments of any days or even hours as needed.