Preload question

Renewal2020

How does preload differ between Express and Ground?

For FedEx Ground, I understand preload to be taking a package off the belt and placing it next to the truck. The driver then loads the packages on their van prior to dispatch.

For FedEx Express, I understand the packages are loaded onto the truck as part of the preload process The driver's at Express don't have to load their vans, correct?

It will be fine

How does preload differ between Express and Ground?

For FedEx Ground, I understand preload to be taking a package off the belt and placing it next to the truck. The driver then loads the packages on their van prior to dispatch.

For FedEx Express, I understand the packages are loaded onto the truck as part of the preload process The driver's at Express don't have to load their vans, correct?
Preload at Ground is supposed to put the boxes on the trucks. Some smaller vans get staged on cart or pallets.

Renewal2020

That is incorrect. Many drivers at Express load 1 or more trucks every day. At my station, all handlers do is unload cans. Drivers do the sorting and truck loading in the morning.
So preload starts at like 2-4AM and goes until 9-10 AM. Drivers dispatch at 9-10 AM and complete their routes by 4PM- 6PM. The drivers can't participate in the entire preload activities. Are there package handlers that are taking care of the majority of the preload?

McFeely

Huge Member
Are there package handlers that are taking care of the majority of the preload?

At Express, not at all. Freight does not get to most stations until much later in the morning than your 2-4am timeframe. Hell, some of our flights don't even get to my area ramp until 0600 or so?

Do you work at Ground or Express? Hub, ramp, terminal? Trying to understand why you're asking about package handlers at Express...

Fred's Myth

Nonhyphenated American
So preload starts at like 2-4AM and goes until 9-10 AM. Drivers dispatch at 9-10 AM and complete their routes by 4PM- 6PM. The drivers can't participate in the entire preload activities. Are there package handlers that are taking care of the majority of the preload?
You’re misinformed. Normal preload starts around 6 and finishes around 8a.m. Drivers dispatch within 10-15 minutes of sort down. Drivers on sort are typically chosen by the OR end time of their route being within an 8 hour time frame.
Package handlers off load, and assist the bulk trucks.

NC man

We load our trucks,well some of us, some do doc sort.I load 3 trucks , mine and two others.start 610 on mondays and 7. Tues thru friday

Operational needs

Virescit Vulnere Virtus
Couriers also scan the inbound freight, sort and scan the documents and split the belt. At night, they also do most of the freight handling on the PM sort with handlers.

cosis

We do not have package handles at our station (or a power belt). We have people that load trucks and people who stay in their trucks the whole time and barely come out (mostly swings)