Preload Shifter

Mike Hawk

So our 8 year preload shifter finnaly went friend/T and the position is up for bid. It's causing alot of drama over who can bid/who will win etc. We have one employee with the seniority to get it however she has had too many accidents on road and almost got fired but ended up with a 6 month driving suspension.

1. Is the shifter/bachup shifter position a bid position like a drivers bid route as in once you have it its yours till you vacate it(they posted a "bid" sheet for both)? Or is it a prefered position?

2. Is an employee that is incapable of doing the position elligible to bid on it? (she signed an agreement to not drive any ups vehicle for 6 months)

3. Is a 22.3 air driver alowed to bid on the position? The 22.3 driver came from friend/t driving to the 22.3 so does her company seniority date go towards the feeder bid or is it her preload seniority date?

IDoLessWorkThanMost

So our 8 year preload shifter finnaly went friend/T and the position is up for bid. It's causing alot of drama over who can bid/who will win etc. We have one employee with the seniority to get it however she has had too many accidents on road and almost got fired but ended up with a 6 month driving suspension.

1. Is the shifter/bachup shifter position a bid position like a drivers bid route as in once you have it its yours till you vacate it(they posted a "bid" sheet for both)? Or is it a prefered position?

2. Is an employee that is incapable of doing the position elligible to bid on it? (she signed an agreement to not drive any ups vehicle for 6 months)

3. Is a 22.3 air driver alowed to bid on the position? The 22.3 driver came from friend/t driving to the 22.3 so does her company seniority date go towards the feeder bid or is it her preload seniority date?

It's a PT job?

brownrodster

Good questions. I suggest you contact your local.

I searched my contract and the only reference to shifters is the pay scale. In my building it is treated like any other part time preferred position. It goes to the highest seniority PTer who wants it.

IDoLessWorkThanMost

A p/T shifter job sounds like a preferred job but it probably varies from region to region.

If it's a P/T shifter, then the 22.3 can't bid on it. I don't think I've ever heard of a friend/T employee bidding into a P/T job, unless the job was combined with another to make a combo and then was subsequently bid.

I'm not certain the employee must be DOT qualified and all of that, because they aren't driving off of company grounds. Back when I was on preload, I would shift cars around w/out the DOT card. If he/she signed something that says they can't drive a vehicle, that sounds cut and dry though.

When I was a shifter, it was PT and I had to bid on it to get it. Supposedly you get a 25 cent raise for it. You don't need any special license for it because you never leave UPS property. I had a Feeder sup give me some training on the basics (an hour a day for a week) and over time you will get the hang of it.

brownrodster

When I was a shifter, it was PT and I had to bid on it to get it. Supposedly you get a 25 cent raise for it. .

In my regional supplement shifter is up to 19.61$ per hour. That's a 7-8$ raise for most part timers here.

I do hope that someday they make this FT feeder work.

Mike Hawk

Not really possible for friend/T feeders to do it, for my center anyway. Sometimes on Mondays they take our tractor to do feeder runs and with nobody at our center to shift we just wait around after each trailer for a feeder to arrive and shift a new trailer on.

It is a part time position.
You don’t need any outside qualifications at to shift (drivers license obviously) since you don’t leave the property.
It does pay at almost $20 an hour.

If it’s a preferred position than she can bump our current backup shifter who was going to get the shifter position once her driving suspension is over. This is troubling since she doesn’t deserve it. She has been a spa'er(we call it spaing, putting the pas/pal/whatever labels on packages as they go by) since she started because whenever she is forced to load trucks she works like 5 cars ahead of hers and just stacks boxes behind her 3 trucks and waits for a supe to come bail her out. She absolutely refuses to do any real work and is a disgrace to ups but my supes don’t have the balls to write her up for it.

Neither of our stewards knew and our BA hasn’t gotten back to me yet.

IDoLessWorkThanMost

Not really possible for friend/T feeders to do it, for my center anyway. Sometimes on Mondays they take our tractor to do feeder runs and with nobody at our center to shift we just wait around after each trailer for a feeder to arrive and shift a new trailer on.

It is a part time position.
You don’t need any outside qualifications at to shift (drivers license obviously) since you don’t leave the property.
It does pay at almost $20 an hour.

If it’s a preferred position than she can bump our current backup shifter who was going to get the shifter position once her driving suspension is over. This is troubling since she doesn’t deserve it. She has been a spa'er(we call it spaing, putting the pas/pal/whatever labels on packages as they go by) since she started because whenever she is forced to load trucks she works like 5 cars ahead of hers and just stacks boxes behind her 3 trucks and waits for a supe to come bail her out. She absolutely refuses to do any real work and is a disgrace to ups but my supes don’t have the balls to write her up for it.

Neither of our stewards knew and our BA hasn’t gotten back to me yet.

Unless your local or region is different than what I've seen, she can't go from 22.3 Full-time to part-time unless she quits and is rehired or perhaps is laid off.

IDoLessWorkThanMost

I was referring to the employee that is on the driving suspension, the 22.3 is a different one.

Sorry, thanks for clarifying. The one on driving suspension; is probably if she's being played a favorite, she'll get the shifter job as they will get some temporarily and stall the bid. I would probably report this if you weren't assigned the job if you had rights to it and the bid is being held out. I am not studied enoguh to answer that one for certain, but it sounds "fishy" :sick:

Mike Hawk

I asked my preload supes about it but they said our center manager was doing the bid stuff, which seems odd if it is just a prefered position. I'l bug them some more next week.

Another thing a 22.3 has seperate preload/company seniority right? She came from friend/t driving because no p/t wanted the job so does her preload seniority starts when she joined the preload? Or does she use her company seniority date.