Preloader Verbal Warning Tips for Future

Well here's the thing you all need to understand. As a supervisor, we have jobs the same as in which we get yelled at more than you. If you're not getting done on time (especially consistently) and misloading frequently, it is a supervisors job to fix those things. We are not out to screw you, because that just screws us. We don't want to be crude with people, but with the culture that is UPS, it is most of the time necessary. And let me just say, a talk with a supervisor, part-time or full-time, IS NOT HARASSMENT, it is our job. Unless they came at you cussing, yelling, or insulting then they are not harassing you. We are not a production driven company, but unless your methods are great, they have every reason to talk to you and attempt to fix the problem.

Based on my experience, the stories of hourlies and sups are neither true exactly and is really somewhere in the middle. I don't know these sups or how they have been treating you exactly, but I expect you are blowing it out of proportion. They should be working with you to make you as best as you can be, because once you know the methods, you can load more without working as hard.

As far as help at the end of the day, you cannot refuse it. Your work area is considered you area of the building and not necessarily your three or four trucks. A supervisor is responsible for that area getting done, and they may use whatever people in that area or outside that area that are willing to do so.

If they are calling out the misloads at the beginning of the day, I guarantee you they are not making them up just to be dicks. The more misloads a sup has on their area, the more we get yelled at. The misloads that are reported by the driver show the truck the package was assigned to and the truck it was discovered on. If you consistently misload, which we have records of, then that is a problem outside of "my help did it!" The only way to clear the air on that is to run a check on the package to see who scanned it. However, misloads are not always scanned so this is as good as considered yours unless your scan percentage is 100% and your help wasn't scanning at all. As far as having them pull your packages while you load, that depends on the speed of the loader. If they are faster at loading, it only makes sense to have them load the trucks for you at the end of the day.

I know how it feels as a package handler to be damned either way, but I promise we are not trying to screw you. I don't know your sups, but I'm at least 75% confident they really aren't trying. Catch one of them after the shift and talk directly to them without threatening grievances and ask for tips, I for one would love to help out a loader that wants to get better. I won't be as willing to help a loader that is making excuses to not get done.

An0n

we dont scan because we dont have enough scanners. half the time the sups never scan me. most of the time i dont see the sup all day. they disappear into hr land

UPS routinely goes through different "flavors of the month" that they like to ride preloaders and drivers on. Next month they'll move onto something (or someone) else and leave you alone.

Currently at my center its load quality/audits. God in heaven on high help you if you don't have at least a 14 inch clear walk space down the middle of the truck.

Actually, its 18".

we dont scan because we dont have enough scanners. half the time the sups never scan me. most of the time i dont see the sup all day. they disappear into hr land

If you don't have enough scanners, that is an issue that should be brought up with supervisors and the union. Say you don't have the tools to do the job.

As far as not seeing your sups, it depends what area your sup is over and if you are the majority of their work area. I work with my people all day long.

What Hub are you in?

An0n

I dont want to say but i will say im in ct. Only one sup tells me when i misload or if there is another issue. I usually work on a different belt daily so there is no way for any consistency. If i cant keep up with a bulk stop and have decided not to stack anymore, what can i do to keep up without pissing everyone off. Stop the belt? and sups say loaders arent allowed to scan. its alot different than other hubs i hear about . and majority of the loaders there are stacked out on the daily. I thought i was doing decent until i heard from the hub sup.

An0n

and by the way i was hired during peak so I i had about ten minutes of training. I thought i ended up pretty good. everything is always in order and drivers can always walk through the truck! i work ahead of the area so i dont see what more i can do. maybe theyre just wanting to pick on someone

maybe theyre just wanting to pick on someone

They don't want to pick on anyone. Trust me, every part time sup I know hates having to correct people unless we have to.

With bulk stops, it depends where it is in the truck. If it is towards the front, load it. If it is a stop that cannot be loaded until the end, stack only the bulk stop out. A trick you can use is to put some in the cab of the truck if it is a front load, and pull it back quickly at the end of the day.

An0n

to give more info we all get three trucks a day. there are four belts. usually 2-300 per car. Car size varies, doesent seem load based. Stuff comes down really fast, and sometimes has two pals. No one gets scanners. Sups have one job, scan for misloads. most of the time they do not do that. I just want to do better. I work as hard as I possibly can and I feel cheated when it is all taken away from me by a sup gang. I just dont get what it is that i am doing wrong at all!

An0n

Yea usually rdr is the culprit. we usually have like 40 rdr and 40 rdl (just an example every truck is different! ) but i guess i was stacking when I wasint supposed to. So IF I CANNOT keep up (15 50lb boxes all in one shot) it is more wise to stop the belt, or stack it. I am not allowed to let it pass...

An0n

and thanks to everyone trying to give me tips, it really helps. thank you for being kind as im really just trying to lay low.