Prisons are Big Business - Prison Industrial Complex (PIC)

Old Man Jingles

Rat out of a cage
Angela Davis is credited with coming up with the term “Prison Industrial Complex” (PIC). It means that prisons are big business because everything related to prisons like food, prison employees, surveillance, and construction have a cost.
Most prisons and jails are going to buildings, food, uniforms and most anything is provided by a non-Government entity and these costs have to be paid for by the prison population.

The U.S. prison population began to skyrocket in the 1970s with President Nixon’s “war on drugs.” and Corporations understood this was a unique opportunity to make money off of prisons themselves and cheap prison slave labor. Prisoners make military gear, uniforms, car parts, jeans, and even Victoria’s Secret lingerie - and are paid as little as 25 CENTS an hour.

Prisons are an industry, just like restaurants or hotels. This causes corporations and even government to have other motives. Corporations and Governments are making money off imprisoning people, that makes the criminal justice system susceptible to corruption.

The prison reform movement is changing how we think of criminal justice, but corporations still have their hands in profiting off of new reforms. One of the best ways to end the prison industrial complex is to keep big business out of it!

Prisons-PushBlack.png

Old Man Jingles

Rat out of a cage
Ok RickyB
I've worked with people who spent time in jails and prisons.
Their related stories match up with this very closely.
Their families have put money into special accounts in order for prisoners to have anything.
Many prisoners have nothing and so they get handouts from other prisoners.
These privately run prisons and jails don't let anything come in ... everything must be bought through "the Company Store".

Another day older and deeper in debt
Saint Peter don't you call me 'cause I can't go
I owe my soul to the company store.

oldngray

nowhere special
Their families have put money into special accounts in order for prisoners to have anything.
These privately run prisons and jails don't let anything come in ... everything must be bought through "the Company Store".

It might be time for you to adjust the dosage of your meds.

Old Man Jingles

Rat out of a cage
Last edited:

Sportello

I expressed what I am ... there are about a half dozen different types of Libertarians.

SAD ... you're wrong again.

71 Republic - Chief Executive Officer – Matthew Geiger
Matthew Geiger is a High School student from Maryland.

I will stick with the definition of a Libertarian as it was defined by David Bergland in the 80's and 90's.
Libertarianism in One Lesson by David Bergland
"That's libertarians for you - anarchists who want police protection from their slaves." - Kim Stanley Robinson.

Last edited:

Indecisi0n

Angela Davis is credited with coming up with the term “Prison Industrial Complex” (PIC). It means that prisons are big business because everything related to prisons like food, prison employees, surveillance, and construction have a cost.
Most prisons and jails are going to buildings, food, uniforms and most anything is provided by a non-Government entity and these costs have to be paid for by the prison population.

The U.S. prison population began to skyrocket in the 1970s with President Nixon’s “war on drugs.” and Corporations understood this was a unique opportunity to make money off of prisons themselves and cheap prison slave labor. Prisoners make military gear, uniforms, car parts, jeans, and even Victoria’s Secret lingerie - and are paid as little as 25 CENTS an hour.

Prisons are an industry, just like restaurants or hotels. This causes corporations and even government to have other motives. Corporations and Governments are making money off imprisoning people, that makes the criminal justice system susceptible to corruption.

The prison reform movement is changing how we think of criminal justice, but corporations still have their hands in profiting off of new reforms. One of the best ways to end the prison industrial complex is to keep big business out of it!

View attachment 224800
Look at all those potential helpers.

floridays

You Ole Pea-picker, Bless their Pea-pickin hearts.