Problems with Medicare.

whatscooking

I recently found out that I made a mistake not getting my wife on Medicare part B when I retired. She had a brain aneurism several years ago, that disability allowed her to get a SSD check. I was able to sign off on taking out the part B at that time. Unknown to me I was to sign her up for this I now find out three years after I retired there is a penalty coming, 10% per year, along with now I find out she has no primary insurance until July 1, when Medicare kicks in. I cannot believe I was not informed about this somehow by UPS when I retired. Has anyone been able to work anything out in a case like this?

upschuck

Same thing with Part D. My parents didn't get it when first came out; now mom would get charged a high penalty, only to get bigger every year. I think it is a law, so no working out is allowed. Something to look forward to, I guess.

gingerkat

This is not a UPS thing. Medicare is solely a government thing and papers are sent out 3 months prior to coverage. Unfortunately most people don't read all the information because there is so much of it.

moreluck

golden ticket member
You know how your mail box gets right before an election? All those pieces of mail from all the candidates.........that's what the information innundation is like with medicare.

I made my medicare choices over 2 years ago and I'm still getting the mailouts for medicare.

oldngray

nowhere special
You know how your mail box gets right before an election? All those pieces of mail from all the candidates.........that's what the information innundation is like with medicare.

I made my medicare choices over 2 years ago and I'm still getting the mailouts for medicare.

My wife still gets those. And she died 10 years ago. :halfdead:

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Nope. Just threw away. She still gets "pre-approved" life insurance offers too. :P

Not to get too personal but it must hurt a little when you get mail with her name on it. You could ease that pain by just sending them back "deceased". Yeah, it will take a while, but over time the mailings will stop.

BTW, I do hope that by "throwing away" you meant "tossing in recycling bin". :)