Process of becoming a part time supe?

Kicked Your Dog

25 Year UPSer/SoCal Feeder
I love it. You're the perfect candidate: seasonal employee, worked on the ramp and have a plan to let your crew "do their own thing". Totally awesome!

You're absolutely right, you won't be with UPS forever.

GregK

I can't tell if that's sincere or sarcastic...It really could be either. The line about me not being with UPS forever is swaying me towards sarcastic since it sounds like you're saying my plan will get me fired.

RolloTony Brown Town

You'll understand more when you're doing the job. Being a seasonal and becoming a supervisor. Imagine how you would feel if the shoe was on the other foot.

If you're in school, and you can run a slide or a line and you get your degree then ft is a possibility. I don't have mine and chose to not go to school for awhile. The company right now isn't promoting to ft supervisor unless you've displayed you are at least in school. I work in a 40k hub so my personal views can be skewed. Do you have a chance? Yea. Like I said, you have to be the best and well liked by your center manager and DM and there will be an opportunity. Might not wanna count your chickens if you know what I mean though.

upschuck

I've heard that we're really in need supes. And like two or three supes just quit.

You've got to wonder why they all quit? I would ask them if there is any way you could. You just want to go into knowing all sides, and not only that UPS says it is a "great" job. Everyone knows that UPS needs some good sups. Hope it works out for you whichever way you decide to take it.

GregK

You'll understand more when you're doing the job. Being a seasonal and becoming a supervisor. Imagine how you would feel if the shoe was on the other foot.

If you're in school, and you can run a slide or a line and you get your degree then ft is a possibility. I don't have mine and chose to not go to school for awhile. The company right now isn't promoting to ft supervisor unless you've displayed you are at least in school. I work in a 40k hub so my personal views can be skewed. Do you have a chance? Yea. Like I said, you have to be the best and well liked by your center manager and DM and there will be an opportunity. Might not wanna count your chickens if you know what I mean though.

Right. And if they don't want to promote me, I can move on and actually get a job in my field after college.

You've got to wonder why they all quit? I would ask them if there is any way you could. You just want to go into knowing all sides, and not only that UPS says it is a "great" job. Everyone knows that UPS needs some good sups. Hope it works out for you whichever way you decide to take it.
I understand that they get treated like crap and it's hard. But that's what the higher pay is for. Harder work earns you more money. You have a bigger risk of getting fired. Bigger risk, more money.
And I asked pretty much every supe I came into contact with if they liked it and would recommend it. Some said to stay hourly. Some loved being a supe.
And if I get fired, it won't be the end of the world since I'm so young. Like somebody else said, it will look good on my resume and teach me valuable skills.

RolloTony Brown Town

You're definitely doing it for the correct reasons. I know I came across has harsh but I really enjoy my job and I'm really good at what I do. I'm a full time candidate. I'm pretty well liked amongst the hourlies. I've done it all. I just come across that way to newer employees to be sure they understand what they're in for. Good luck dude.

Don't let them walk all over you but have some common ground, some trust, and never forget where you started. Moving packages used to be your job. If you go into it with that kind of attitude then you'll do okay.

GregK

You're definitely doing it for the correct reasons. I know I came across has harsh but I really enjoy my job and I'm really good at what I do. I'm a full time candidate. I'm pretty well liked amongst the hourlies. I've done it all. I just come across that way to newer employees to be sure they understand what they're in for. Good luck dude.

Don't let them walk all over you but have some common ground, some trust, and never forget where you started. Moving packages used to be your job. If you go into it with that kind of attitude then you'll do okay.
Thank you. And my supe was the same way. A few weeks into the job, I told my supe I wanted to apply for management and he asked me like a hundred times if I was sure.

And it'll definitely be a learning process for me figuring out the perfect median of not micro managing but also not letting them walk all over me.

Thanks for all the advice and words of encouragement. Assuming they call me, I'm not really scared for the test. I'm mostly scared for the panel interview.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk