Production termination!

New Englander

1st of all, it most certainly does have SOMETHING to do with me, and every other UPS stockholder. If you are not using the proper methods and it is taking you longer to complete your day's work and being overpaid for that day's work, it DOES EFFECT ME as a long time stockholder.

Out of one side of your mouth you say you were never taught any methods, while out of the other side of your mouth you stated you don't use the method you were taught to keep the keys on your finger. Which is it? Were you or were you not taught methods? It's statements like that the make one doubt any and everything you post.

Also, what's with the comment "go suck an egg"? Do you have a sucking fixation?

I was wondering the same thing about never being taught any methods. Yet she knows that she isn't following the correct method about the keys on the finger.

Doesn't give her side of the argument much credibility.

hangin455

I think the main point is that he didn't maintain his own standards - not UPS's. And he did so for an extended period of time -not one day.
As someone posted earlier - he had ambitions for Union leadership and thought he'd make a name for himself. Seems he only made an example of himself instead.

ih8tbrn

Banned
I believe we can all agree that it is extremely difficult to get fired from UPS. Everybody knows somebody that should be standing in the soup line but they continue to keep their job. If this guy got fired and it stuck, then he must have been a horrible employee. I go out of my way to be a PITA to my sups but I don't feel like I have a target on my back.

New Englander

I believe we can all agree that it is extremely difficult to get fired from UPS. Everybody knows somebody that should be standing in the soup line but they continue to keep their job. If this guy got fired and it stuck, then he must have been a horrible employee. I go out of my way to be a PITA to my sups but I don't feel like I have a target on my back.

That was my point from the beginning. You really have to work at getting fired to actually get fired.

W

westsideworma

1st of all, it most certainly does have SOMETHING to do with me, and every other UPS stockholder. If you are not using the proper methods and it is taking you longer to complete your day's work and being overpaid for that day's work, it DOES EFFECT ME as a long time stockholder.

::yawn::

This here is the problem, too many people worry more about the shareholders than their own employees. One of our center managers tried that speech (think about the shareholders, what can we do for them?)...I heard crickets.

So I suppose you must support the runners and such who burn through their lunch hour just to meet the pie in the sky production number so your stock goes up? Methods and high production don't always go hand in hand. If you want the numbers you have to cut corners somewhere more often than not.

Overpaid? I can think of a few (most definitely NOT all) in my ranks that better fit that description considering a lot of people at my building openly admit they took the promotion because they couldn't handle the work that the hourlies do.

Do you have something against the people that work at this company? Your posts are always very argumentative and never positive at all. You seem to want to piss people off more than have a discussion.

I'm all for making money but abusing your employees so the stock which has been stagnant most of its lifetime goes up a minuscule amount doesn't seem a good way to go about doing it.

BrownSuit

This driver was doing the same stops per hour in 06 than he was when he was fired.

Red, just curious, had EDD or PAS been implemented in the center since '06? What about changes in the route that would have affected density? I realize that very few people see the advantage of PAS or EDD, but it is supposed to increase your SPORH, if nothing else by 1. Increased urbanization and density though would likely have a similar impact.

Also, Pickup's question about the phone use was a fair one that was already answered

Is it possible that this guy was answering the phone quite a bit while out there . . .

hi all... this guy went all out for us....he was always there for us ...answered our calls when we had ?'s ...

We've already heard that he had his Air taken off him for Union Business, here's how I see this going down. The days that he was down by 3 stops per hour, he was on the phone with the other drivers working on union business or possibly broke trace to meet up with them to discuss their problem of the day.

He becomes a target because he can't deliver his own air, he is always in the office when things are crazy asking about so and so, or this and that. The center manager has to find an air driver to do his air or give it to somebody else, now this guy is out late a couple of times a week and considerably under SPORH?

He seems to have plenty of time to take care of union business, but his stops keep falling. During this time, he is answering his phone and answering questions. I doubt he did this during his ride along.

There seems to be more to this story as everybody is saying. The fact that the air didn't come out until the last page . . .

Also, I agree with what others have said, the arbitration hearing is binding and both parties are supposed to sign non-disclosures. I honestly question whether Red should have a copy and others requesting a copy would be inappropriate.

HEFFERNAN

Huge Member
It's amazing how this thread turned 180 degrees. It started with Red's story and everybody thought management was gunning for everyone with production issues. But it turns out that after you get the truth and facts out of the way, the guy deserved it and thought he was above the law. UPS law !!

The PAS/EDD system is a wonderful system and makes our jobs a lot easier, but in turn, because it's easier we have more stops and the computer monitoring system is unbeatable to a "slacker" driver.

When you give an honest effort, it will show in the numbers- For Example

20-20-20-20-20-20-20-20 ______160 stops 8 hours spohr 20
10-10-20-20-20-20-20-20-20 ___ 160 stops 9 hours spohr 17.8

Notice that in the second example, the driver has a terrible load, bulk stops, cod's in his first 2 hours and has to work an extra hour, but even then his spohr only drops 2.2. You notice also the driver still stays at a consistent 20 over the course of the remaining 7 hours, where some drivers may step it up knowing they are behind.

BOTTOM LINE - A DROP OF 3 IN SPOHR IS A HORRIBLE DISGUSTING PERFORMANCE

stevetheupsguy

sʇǝʌǝʇɥǝndsƃnʎ
It's amazing how this thread turned 180 degrees. It started with Red's story and everybody thought management was gunning for everyone with production issues. But it turns out that after you get the truth and facts out of the way, the guy deserved it and thought he was above the law. UPS law !!

The PAS/EDD system is a wonderful system and makes our jobs a lot easier, but in turn, because it's easier we have more stops and the computer monitoring system is unbeatable to a "slacker" driver.

When you give an honest effort, it will show in the numbers- For Example

Notice that in the second example, the driver has a terrible load, bulk stops, cod's in his first 2 hours and has to work an extra hour, but even then his spohr only drops 2.2. You notice also the driver still stays at a consistent 20 over the course of the remaining 7 hours, where some drivers may step it up knowing they are behind.

BOTTOM LINE - A DROP OF 3 IN SPOHR IS A HORRIBLE DISGUSTING PERFORMANCE

Thanks for the visualization, wouldn't have understood what you were talking about, with it.

BrownSuit

I think you should use a white board :peaceful:

Keep in mind that he is going by methods so throw a lunch in there. So under scenario 1, the driver is only supposed to be on road for 9 hours, including lunch (yeah, I know it doesn't happen).

Scenario 2, with a drop of 2 in the SPOHR, he is out on road for 10 hours. So assuming he leaves at 10, he isn't getting in until 8 on a regular basis, that's after working for at least an hour, if not two on Union Business.

HEFFERNAN

Huge Member
The numbers were just an example to show how dramatic -3 in Spohr really is. The lunch hour is unpaid so I didnt include it in, but the spohr difference would come out the same.

BrownSuit

The numbers were just an example to show how dramatic -3 in Spohr really is. The lunch hour is unpaid so I didnt include it in, but the spohr difference would come out the same.

Right, but if you were coming in on a somewhat regular basis at 8, after a start time of 8 or 9, how long before your center manager had your browns?

Also, the lower the SPOHR, the more the impact the drop would have as was pointed out earlier in this long post.

drewed

Shankman
Alright Red, here would be the one sticking point arent arbitrators mutually agreed upon? If UPS picked the arbitrator and the union said they were fine, he really doesnt have any room to wiggle in the arbitrator not liking him....

fodder23

There is more to the story, this driver was elected 18 months ago in an upset election over a long time steward that really did nothing for the members. In that time this driver had filed 115 grievances, had 100 drivers sign a petition in support of another driver that was wrongly terminated. This steward had filed several nlrb violations against ups, without the union's help. Sounds like this steward did his job as a steward.

The company brought in a sup from another center to do this ride on the driver which was this sups only performance ride while the manager said the centers performance as a whole needed to be addressed. (what better way to address it than to fire the steward) The driver was on vacation the week before he received the ride so the sup rode with the cover driver to get area knowledge. Not a performance ride.

They progressively disciplined this driver for his spoh, suspended him for missing 2 clerk work package a one time occurrence. Ups went after this guy for his union activity.

He was suspended several times all within a few months leading up to this. The arb compared his spor to other drivers doing different routes which is totally unfair as no two routes are a like.

The arbitrator's own words said that there is more to the 4 corners of a contract than whats written in it! No joke! I would love to cut and paste some of her ruling, but i cant do it in adobe, any way that i can do it.

And drewed while ups and the teamsters agree to the rulings as binding, the grievant does have some legal recourse to take. But he has to prove that the arb was incompetent, and by reading this ruling, its possible it could be done.

Oh yeah, this driver was also part of the members united slate, he was running for office of 804 in the next election!

fodder23

Where did u read that the arb compared this driver to drivers on other routes? I read it as she compared his performance to the performance of the cover driver with the sup on the car.....even scarier.

HEFFERNAN

Huge Member
Right, but if you were coming in on a somewhat regular basis at 8, after a start time of 8 or 9, how long before your center manager had your browns?

Also, the lower the SPOHR, the more the impact the drop would have as was pointed out earlier in this long post.

In example 2, the driver would be making an hour overtime for the same amount of stops. That's when management would find what that discrepancy is correlated with. Was it pieces? Did the driver have issues on road? Bad preloading? How far was he paid over/under? Whatever tool UPS has, it would be used to disect that driver's body of work.

I have absolutly no sympathy for this particular driver! He challenged management in the office, knew he was being watched, and still "spit" in their faces. Most drivers are aware they are "watched" so they give an honest effort. I know many drivers that have survived "mailing in the effort" and are in feeders now, that would have been picked off years ago if they were monitored the way we are now.

HEFFERNAN

Huge Member
There is more to the story, this driver was elected 18 months ago in an upset election over a long time steward that really did nothing for the members. In that time this driver had filed 115 grievances, had 100 drivers sign a petition in support of another driver that was wrongly terminated. This steward had filed several nlrb violations against ups, without the union's help. Sounds like this steward did his job as a steward.

The company brought in a sup from another center to do this ride on the driver which was this sups only performance ride while the manager said the centers performance as a whole needed to be addressed. (what better way to address it than to fire the steward) The driver was on vacation the week before he received the ride so the sup rode with the cover driver to get area knowledge. Not a performance ride.

They progressively disciplined this driver for his spoh, suspended him for missing 2 clerk work package a one time occurrence. Ups went after this guy for his union activity.

He was suspended several times all within a few months leading up to this. The arb compared his spor to other drivers doing different routes which is totally unfair as no two routes are a like.

ANYBODY WHO HAS BEEN A DRIVER KNOWS THAT NO ONE WOULD BELIEVE THE ABOVE SENTENCE. MANAGEMENT DOES NOT COMPARE SPOHR WITH DIFFERENT ROUTES - HEFFERNAN

The arbitrator's own words said that there is more to the 4 corners of a contract than whats written in it! No joke! I would love to cut and paste some of her ruling, but i cant do it in adobe, any way that i can do it.

And drewed while ups and the teamsters agree to the rulings as binding, the grievant does have some legal recourse to take. But he has to prove that the arb was incompetent, and by reading this ruling, its possible it could be done.

Oh yeah, this driver was also part of the members united slate, he was running for office of 804 in the next election!

Where did u read that the arb compared this driver to drivers on other routes? I read it as she compared his performance to the performance of the cover driver with the sup on the car.....even scarier.

His performance was not based on the cover driver. The sup just wanted area knowlege so he would not be tricked by this driver.

browniehound

Out of one side of your mouth you say you were never taught any methods, while out of the other side of your mouth you stated you don't use the method you were taught to keep the keys on your finger. Which is it? Were you or were you not taught methods? It's statements like that the make one doubt any and everything you post.

Also, what's with the comment "go suck an egg"? Do you have a sucking fixation?

Hey UPSVette,
If I had a list of factors that AFFECT the price of UPS stock I think the entire USA workforce being paid over by 5/10 would be at the very bottom of the list.

Factors that would top the list in my opinion (not necessarily in this order) would be overall market conditions, the prospect of growth of the company, who the CEO is, the economy in general, the price of oil, and how well the transportation sector is doing as a group.

I believe these factors are an elephant and your paid over numbers are ants. The UPS driver's performance should have a positive EFFECT on the stock price if it even AFFECTS it at all. Even our worst drivers are more efficent than the competition's best. I truly believe this.

That being said, I believe you have the right to make sure the UPS driver is performing up to his abilities. I think UPS gets more than their fair share of blood, sweat, tears, and labor from 95% of its workforce. The other 5%(the -3 SPHOHR group) should be given a 3-day ride.

I think its a waste of UPS resources to perform a 3-day ride to prove the driver can do .1-.3 SPHORH better. If the sup. earns $1400/week the company is wasting his/her time to the tune of $900 that week to shave $20 off the driver's earnings for the week.

If the sup. can be disposed for 3 full days with a driver and away from his/her normal duties it begs the question: do we really need them?