Production termination!

browniehound

From Dilligaf:
"A stewards perspective is not just about the job. It is also about the contract."

I agree. Unless you are the steward or its a major contract violation I think you should worry about yourself only.

Brownie

HEFFERNAN

Huge Member
After reading through all of it, which is just about 40 pages, he did have several days were he was off by 3 stops an hour.

This arb, really stepped over the line, and in my opinion the union did a real bad job in its case.

I wonder where the numbers starting getting skewed? Red said originally 1 to 1 1/2 stops, now all of a sudden (relatively speaking) it's up to 3 stops. If this happens so easily in here then imagine how easy it is for numbers to be skewed in the office where no one is watching.

Brownie, wasn't trying to pick on you, you just happened to be at the top of the column. LOL

There's your answer

BigBrownSanta

At 20 SPH, a 9.5 day would be 183 del and pickups.

At 17 SPH, the same 183 del and pickups would take 11 hrs and 6 minutes.

The difference is 1 hr 36 minutes.

At 14.5 SPH, a 9.5 day would be 132 del and pickups.

At 11.5 SPH, the same 132 del and pickups would take 11 hrs and 49 minutes.

The difference is 2 hrs and 19 minutes.

Both of these examples assume 10 minute AM and 10 minute PM times.

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
At 20 SPH, a 9.5 day would be 183 del and pickups.

At 17 SPH, the same 183 del and pickups would take 11 hrs and 6 minutes.

The difference is 1 hr 36 minutes.

At 14.5 SPH, a 9.5 day would be 132 del and pickups.

At 11.5 SPH, the same 132 del and pickups would take 11 hrs and 49 minutes.

The difference is 2 hrs and 19 minutes.

Both of these examples assume 10 minute AM and 10 minute PM times.
And a perfect day, for each particular example. But we rarely ever have perfect days. LOL

705red

Browncafe Steward
In my opinion, which holds little weight, the arb did not like him, the company did not like him, the union feared him, and this is why he was fired. Now everyone in package can be disciplined because its hard to find an arbitrator that will rule against another arbitrators decision in a similar case. Local 804 just sold everyone of us out to save their lazy back sides!

New Englander

So....just how bad can we do our job before UPS has justification in firing someone?

Can I go out and run 5 stops per hour below my proven ability? Give them the finger and say "Screw you the Union doesn't recognize your performance standards!"

Go about my business and finish the day doing 45 stops less then the day before.

705red

Browncafe Steward
This driver was doing the same stops per hour in 06 than he was when he was fired.

His route did not change in that time frame, ups wanted more out of him, some days he could come close some days he didnt.

How many stops were you doing in that ice storm, hope you can perform perfect in all situations.

705red

Browncafe Steward
In a 24 hour period this thread has 128 replies and over 2,240 views. But this is not really a big deal in many of your eyes! How long before the next driver gets canned?

New Englander

This driver was doing the same stops per hour in 06 than he was when he was fired.

His route did not change in that time frame, ups wanted more out of him, some days he could come close some days he didnt.

How many stops were you doing in that ice storm, hope you can perform perfect in all situations.

The ice storm defense doesn't work and you should have known better.
The ENTIRE driver team showed a decrease in production.

You didn't answer my question though. Since you don't think we should be fired for it. Tell me how much I can soak the company for before you think I should be fired.

Regardless if he did or not. Let's get some sort of guideline.

HEFFERNAN

Huge Member

I know you are defending him, but how can you justify a drop of 3 stops an hour being yourself a hard-working UPS driver. You said he showed several days of doing this. I really think he felt he could not be challenged and he failed the test. No offense to your friend.

drewed

Shankman
Red, New Englander has a valid point, Im not saying your friends firing was or wasnt justified but it brings up the bigger issue of what is the standard, if I have an employee that cant lift 70lbs, cant load (or deliver) goals. Youre handed a job description and the requirements when your hired by accepting a job are you not obligating to hold that standard?

BigBrownSanta

And a perfect day, for each particular example. But we rarely ever have perfect days. LOL

Please don't take this the wrong way dilligaf, I'm not trying to argue with you.

My examples do not take perfect days into account. If you demonstrate you are capable of three 20 SPORH days in a row, and then run a string of 17 SPORH days, the difference in time is very hard to explain using the perfect day line. Maybe answering all those phone calls working those grievances might have had a little to do with it. That's plausible.

IMO, this person burned his bridge from both ends and the old saying "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" comes to mind.

satellitedriver

In my opinion, which holds little weight, the arb did not like him, the company did not like him, the union feared him, and this is why he was fired. Now everyone in package can be disciplined because its hard to find an arbitrator that will rule against another arbitrators decision in a similar case. Local 804 just sold everyone of us out to save their lazy back sides!
I truly doubt that everyone in package must live in fear of discipline for production due to this one case.
No standard of judgment has been established that applies to all.
The man could not support his case.
The union had no power.
In my opinion, which holds less weight than yours, if I was brought up on those charges I would have won my case.
Cases are not won or lost on who likes who.
Past practice and a simple record search would easily show the flaws in either sides position.
Sorry, the union failed once again to support a true believer.

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
Please don't take this the wrong way dilligaf, I'm not trying to argue with you.

My examples do not take perfect days into account. If you demonstrate you are capable of three 20 SPORH days in a row, and then run a string of 17 SPORH days, the difference in time is very hard to explain using the perfect day line. Maybe answering all those phone calls working those grievances might have had a little to do with it. That's plausible.

IMO, this person burned his bridge from both ends and the old saying "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" comes to mind.
No, not taking it the wrong way. I see what you are saying. Anything and everything, at this point in time (because we don't know any differently) is plausible.:wink2:

local804

Is it possible that this guy was answering the phone quite a bit while out there( given the number of guys he helped with grievances_) and this slowed him down ?I noticed my shop steward gets a lot of cell phone calls from other drivers, (or he is just pretending to get a call so he can get away from me)

Another valid point that is brought up around the guys. I know he does spend alot of time in the office and usually has his air taken off him.His am starts when he leaves the building, but most of his air is removed. I would assume he can enter union time in the diad but who really knows. There is a little more to the story coming out little by little.

LKM123

No day is the same. One day bulk stop with 50 parcels , each parcel can weigh 5 lb. Another day same stop 50 parcel, each could weight 50 lbs.. obviously , it's going to take longer with 50 lb boxes. I've been ridden all year about my production and I always bring facts like this up. In their computer number fantasy land I guess they believe that it would take the same amount of time to deliver 10 69 lb boxes to a stop as it would to del 10 envelopes. Usual response "Thats why we ride 3 days, its an average, we average so it all evens out for instances like that". This whole thing sounds dumb, especially a steward getting fired for something as minor as production? Union doesn't recognize performance. If they are going to start firing us for production, well than why do we have a union? I sure hope there are underlying issues because termination for production is stupid. Sorry but fired for production? Shouldn't stewards know every trick to pull in buying time on a 3 day? Isn't it an actual method to try and indirect a sig required ressie to at least 4 neighbors ? I mean, did he run on his 3 day or something? That is the point of their 3 day , to trap and harass drivers. Fired for production?... What is the world comming to.

New Englander

No day is the same. One day bulk stop with 50 parcels , each parcel can weigh 5 lb. Another day same stop 50 parcel, each could weight 50 lbs.. obviously , it's going to take longer with 50 lb boxes. I've been ridden all year about my production and I always bring facts like this up. In their computer number fantasy land I guess they believe that it would take the same amount of time to deliver 10 69 lb boxes to a stop as it would to del 10 envelopes. Usual response "Thats why we ride 3 days, its an average, we average so it all evens out for instances like that". This whole thing sounds dumb, especially a steward getting fired for something as minor as production? Union doesn't recognize performance. If they are going to start firing us for production, well than why do we have a union? I sure hope there are underlying issues because termination for production is stupid. Sorry but fired for production? Shouldn't stewards know every trick to pull in buying time on a 3 day? Isn't it an actual method to try and indirect a sig required ressie to at least 4 neighbors ? I mean, did he run on his 3 day or something? That is the point of their 3 day , to trap and harass drivers. Fired for production?... What is the world comming to.

So when they ride us we should "play tricks" to lose time?