Production

705red

Browncafe Steward
I believe they tried to raise production yesterday here in my center. They gave 15 drivers the day off because they were only allowed to run so many routes for the day. When i checked my stop count every route was glowing red and i was at 219 stops. During peak i averaged 275 to a max of 360 stops with a helper for 7 to 10 hours.

I received several messages about meeting a customer who was not in 1 early in the morning and i refused to meet him. First off hes a no dr, which means hes a thief in my book and secondly i was not going to finish the work i had not attempted once for the day. So at 1310 i sent in a message, have 62 stops done 57 more to finish my business and an additional 100 resi's after that going to lunch for 1 hour peaks over!

I received a phone call from a rookie on car sup who was begging me to keep up to my peak standard, i replied i'm not working through my lunch so you can cut routes and lay my brothers and sisters off next week or the week after. I than asked what time is curfew so i would not be late coming back to the building. He than asked me if i could get two extra pick ups to help a driver that was in trouble, "laughing" i said and I'm not in trouble. So i worked as directed and grabbed those extra pick ups, but the Calvary was sent to help me. Still punched out at 2030 with 180 stops completed, Monday starts the 9.5s, cant wait for that easy triple time money!

UnconTROLLed

perfection
Actually the load massaging happened on all 3 of the 3 day rides I have had.

I'll admit, the third paragraph is mostly conjecture on my part.

Last year , I don't remember the month but probably January, the customer counter was time-studied by IE. The 3 days that were studied were Tues-Thursday, knowing that Mon-Fri were by far the most busy for pickups and shipping.

Kevin211

I will worry about Production when the Union tells me to, last time i looked there are no production numbers in the contract book...

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
Not sure I believe the rest of the post. Getting your supe to sit still for three hours of the abuse he hands out sounds like one of those "reader mail" fantasies in the skin magazines. And I'm not sure you can make him MORE miserable than you. .

I got him to bite by agreeing to "commit" to meeting his impossible SPORH expectations as long as he could demonstrate at the same level. I made this agreement with him in the presence of the Center Manager, so in order to save face he had no alternative but to take me up on my "offer". You are free to believe or disbelieve me as you choose.

I got him to bite by agreeing to "commit" to meeting his impossible SPORH expectations as long as he could demonstrate at the same level. I made this agreement with him in the presence of the Center Manager, so in order to save face he had no alternative but to take me up on my "offer". You are free to believe or disbelieve me as you choose.
Every time I suggest they "demonstrate" that they can run better numbers they claim that they can not because they don't know the area well enough. I tell them anytime they talk to me about production that I do the best I can each and every day, I can not do more.
If they try pulling this crap here, it's gonna get really ugly (not just from my part). I still have over 9.5 grievances pending from before thanksgiving, the company tried stonewalling us on them. They went all the way to regional committee and then were sent back to local in the first week of November. This will not deter me from filing again the first week I do three or more days over 9.5.

feederdriver06

former monkey slave
Driver.....stop counts don't ever go down over time, they will only go up...... If not right now then it will happen 6 months from now. I remember when that EDD/PAS garbage came through our building 4 years ago and eveyones stop count went up by 10 to 15 stops but the dispatch time stayed the same. Basically, The drivers all took a paycut(more work for the same days pay). I bid to 22.3 right before that(no sucker here)and never saw EDD/PAS.

Remember(especially part timers).......DENY THE PACKAGE CAR. LIFE AS A MONKEY SLAVE IS NO FUN. :laughing: 10 year package car veteran and 20 years with the company total- my opinion has weight behind it:smart:

New Englander

Driver.....stop counts don't ever go down over time, they will only go up...... If not right now then it will happen 6 months from now. I remember when that EDD/PAS garbage came through our building 4 years ago and eveyones stop count went up by 10 to 15 stops but the dispatch time stayed the same. Basically, The drivers all took a paycut(more work for the same days pay). I bid to 22.3 right before that(no sucker here)and never saw EDD/PAS.

Remember(especially part timers).......DENY THE PACKAGE CAR. LIFE AS A MONKEY SLAVE IS NO FUN. :laughing: 10 year package car veteran and 20 years with the company total- my opinion has weight behind it:smart:

Okay...we are suckers huh? You bid a lower classed job and you gave yourself a pay cut. Sounds like you were on of the many who fear change. Those were the true suckers.

PAS and EDD have made us more efficient drivers. It has it's flaws but is MUCH FREAKEN better then the old way.

JimJimmyJames

Big Time Feeder Driver
I have to agree with feederdriver06. I did experience PAS/EDD. I thought it might make life better but in reality it didn't. Sure, I knew exactly what I had on the truck (well, except for the constant missorts) and that is definitely a plus but it did mean more work: my stop count went up. What was most disheartening was that before I blamed bad stop counts that I constantly had on the nature of the preload. Let's face it, preload is one of the hardest jobs in the company and the fact that I had only one very proficient loader in the 11 and 1/2 years I worked package told me that the problem was of the job, not the people who did it. So PAS/EDD should have solved the bad stop count, no? It would have but they added more stops. All it did was tell me for sure how screwed I was going to be any given day. The new system really meant more work because it wasn't saving me any appreciable time.

Thats when I decided that no matter how far I had to travel I was getting off that truck. When a feeder job opened in a building over an hour away from my house I jumped on it. I also had my name on every clerk and porter job also but those jobs are super hard to get. I would have went 22.3 but I couldn't take the pay cut.

Package never gets better, never. It will only get worse. When I started part time 21 years ago, the average package cars were 6 and 8 cubes and there were still plenty of 5 cubes out these. Now it looks like school buses are parked in the building! What the heck size are these things up to? Look at all the straight jobs too! Hey I am happy we have all this work. But I noticed that for all the extra volume we have attained over the years there was not a corresponding addition to the amount of drivers we hired. What I have noticed is that we are constantly expected to do more with less time.

I salute all those who are package drivers. You have the toughest job in the company. But the company does treat you as a "monkey slave". And if you ever get off that package car you will know how true that is.

spuman

But the company does treat you as a "monkey slave".

When I was thinking up my user name I was considering

upswhore ,but wasn't how it would be recieved however

appropriate it may be.

01focus

hey yall I'm on the freight side and when we plan our routes at my small terminal. 11 routes, 10-15 stops, it seems to me that we are behind the times. I worked on the dock my first 11 months and our system consists of the the cities being in order and not the customer. we decide on an educated guess of what should go first, not by a standard system . How do the small package plan its route?
:surprised:

hey yall I'm on the freight side and when we plan our routes at my small terminal. 11 routes, 10-15 stops, it seems to me that we are behind the times. I worked on the dock my first 11 months and our system consists of the the cities being in order and not the customer. we decide on an educated guess of what should go first, not by a standard system . How do the small package plan its route?
:surprised:

Either with a spinning wheel or a dartboard. The magic eight ball method went out in the 80`s.

Re-Raise

Think about what a UPS manager really has control of? Not much from what I can tell.

The number of routes they can run is dictated to them. Their production numbers and safety numbers are completely dependent upon the performance of the drivers.

All they can really do is tell those of us doing the job to go faster. They are like overpaid chearleaders without the little skirts.

SmithBarney

Think about what a UPS manager really has control of? Not much from what I can tell.

The number of routes they can run is dictated to them.
Their production numbers and safety numbers are
completely dependent upon the performance of the drivers.

All they can really do is tell those of us doing the job to go
faster. They are like overpaid chearleaders without the little
skirts.

BINGO... we have a winner... Management "decisions" are
given to them every morning # of cars to run, etc etc..
red flags fly up in a dark IE room somewhere, and they
call upon the managers to "do something"

But the best thing you can do and nearly every manager
(unless stupidly ego driven) will turn down the offer to
"show me how to do it better"

Thats all you have to say: "I want to be better, please
demonstrate" They'll usually walk away and
say: "just keep trying"

its been two years since I left UPS(due to relocation)
and I've been at FedEx Express since I will say that
"production" and "accidents" run hand in hand.

In these two years I can count 1 "one" accident out of 30 couriers in 2 years.(at fred)
We averaged ~1 per week at UPS..."avoidable"

Production vs Safety there is a breaking point and while at UPS
we were way past it.