Progression pay

UnconTROLLed

perfection
You don't recieve any more than the progression wages. When we get .35cents , anyone in progression doesn't get an extra 35. The correct ( as far as contract ) wage is 17.25

WyoBrown

Hmmm...when I reached seniorty in Mar 08 my hourly rate went up to 15.75 and come Aug 1st 08...I received the .35 raise to 16.10 an hour which Ive been making since then. What do I grieve? Apparently my union steward is ignorant of this issue, so what do I tell her to grieve on my behalf? And now there is the issue of penalty pay as well? I love this forum, thanks so much for the information.

705red

Browncafe Steward
You don't recieve any more than the progression wages. When we get .35cents , anyone in progression doesn't get an extra 35. The correct ( as far as contract ) wage is 17.25

Read this out loud several times until it sounds as it is written. Its spelled out pretty clear!

FULL-TIME EMPLOYEES
Section 1. Full-time Wage Increases
All full-time employees who have attained seniority as of August 1, 2008 will receive the
following general wage increases for each contract year. In each of the years, the increase shall be
paid in two (2) equal installments. The first-half of the increase shall become effective on August 1
of the specified year. The second half of the increase shall become effective on February 1 of the
following calendar year. The total wage increase for the year will be as follows:
2008 seventy cents ($0.70)
2009 seventy-five cents ($0.75)
2010 seventy-five cents ($0.75)
2011 eighty-five cents ($0.85)
2012 ninety –five cents ($0.95)

And now read this out loud!

Full-time employees still in progression on the effective date of this Master Agreement shall receive the
above contractual increases. They will be paid no less than what they are entitled to in accordance with
Article 41, Section 2 below
c. The progression for employees entering a package car driving, or feeder, or other full-time job
(other than an air driver or a job covered by Section 3 below) position after August 1, 2002 2008
shall be as follows:
Start $16.10
Seniority $17.25
Twelve (12) months $18.45
Twenty-four (24) months $20.75
Thirty-six (36) (current top rate) Top Rate

You are entitled to the new pay rate, plus the contractual raises. Have you ever read the contract before? Have you ever filed a grievance?

705red

Browncafe Steward

Hmmm...when I reached seniorty in Mar 08 my hourly rate went up to 15.75 and come Aug 1st 08...I received the .35 raise to 16.10 an hour which Ive been making since then. What do I grieve? Apparently my union steward is ignorant of this issue, so what do I tell her to grieve on my behalf? And now there is the issue of penalty pay as well? I love this forum, thanks so much for the information.

Have your steward file an article 41 section 2 grievance and if you get denied go to the nlrb, dol and your local wage commision and file complaints against ups and the teamsters for not living up to their end of a contract that you voted on. Im 100% serious on filing these charges!

UnconTROLLed

perfection
Read this out loud several times until it sounds as it is written. Its spelled out pretty clear!

FULL-TIME EMPLOYEES
Section 1. Full-time Wage Increases
All full-time employees who have attained seniority as of August 1, 2008 will receive the
following general wage increases for each contract year. In each of the years, the increase shall be
paid in two (2) equal installments. The first-half of the increase shall become effective on August 1
of the specified year. The second half of the increase shall become effective on February 1 of the
following calendar year. The total wage increase for the year will be as follows:
2008 seventy cents ($0.70)
2009 seventy-five cents ($0.75)
2010 seventy-five cents ($0.75)
2011 eighty-five cents ($0.85)
2012 ninety –five cents ($0.95)

And now read this out loud!

Full-time employees still in progression on the effective date of this Master Agreement shall receive the
above contractual increases. They will be paid no less than what they are entitled to in accordance with
Article 41, Section 2 below
c. The progression for employees entering a package car driving, or feeder, or other full-time job
(other than an air driver or a job covered by Section 3 below) position after August 1, 2002 2008
shall be as follows:
Start $16.10
Seniority $17.25
Thirty-six (36) (current top rate) Top Rate

You are entitled to the new pay rate, plus the contractual raises. Have you ever read the contract before? Have you ever filed a grievance?

So you are saying this; please correct me here on this wage progression

Wyobill should be at 17.60/hr as of Feb 1st, 2008.

March 2009- 18.45
Aug 2009- 18.85
Feb 2010 19.10
March 2010 20.70
Aug 2010- 21.10
Sept 2010 - top rate

705red

Browncafe Steward
So you are saying this; please correct me here on this wage progression

Wyobill should be at 17.60/hr as of Feb 1st, 2008.

March 2009- 18.45
Aug 2009- 18.85
Feb 2010 19.10
March 2010 20.70
Aug 2010- 21.10
Sept 2010 - top rate
2/1/09 he should be at $17.95 and than at his one year 3/09 he should be making no less than $18.45 and than receive the contractual raise again on 8/1/09. and so on.

Kevin211

Here is another one for everyone to think about since this goes withthe flow of money and being mis guided,

Health coverage: It states that you will have coverage the first day that you have your 30 days in reguardless if you have worked 60 hours in that month, you will be covered under the next month on the 15th day (when the company pays in)

Pension is 13 weeks after you gain seniority(thats cut and dry)

Kevin211

Is it true that each Region has there own Supplamental aggrement (back part of the contract book) that would "over rule" the contract?? Or is it the same wording for all parties..

WyoBrown

We recently had a driver threaten to quit when he found out that a new qualified driver was making more than him. The issue is snowballing here, finally. Why is UPS doing this? They cant continue to get away with it can they?

UnconTROLLed

perfection
We recently had a driver threaten to quit when he found out that a new qualified driver was making more than him. The issue is snowballing here, finally. Why is UPS doing this? They cant continue to get away with it can they?

If no one makes a stink, they sure can and will.

How about this one - last Friday, I wasn't put in for pay on my 2nd shift. I come in yesterday, and the sup on 1st shift says nothing about it. Do you think that is just him forgetting, or intentionally not seeking me to discuss it, so they can shave time from me when he puts it in?

9 out of the past 12 weeks I have been shorted.

It's an ongoing thing. UPS will do anything to shave people, mess up pay, and outright not pay people. It's up to everyone to stand up for themselves.

US0352

Feeder
Red,

do you have any updates on this? Our hall just now is filing our grievances (4 months later). I think the only reason they are is because they saw your post on here...lol!!

therookie

I made my book in April 07. And right now I am making $17.15 and hour. I'll be at 24 months this April and at full scale (30 months) in October. When we got our new contract I asked my shop steward if my wage would increase, being that the scale had changed. I thought I should be getting paid $18.45 now and in April jump to $20.75. I was told that the new scale didn't apply to me and that I would stay at $17.15.

Truth be told I think my steward is a maroon and I always thought he was wrong here. I need some help to determine if I should file a grievance.

Thanks

I went full time jan 08 I started at 17.29 because I was doing saturday air, I received the .35 raise in august. My question is will I go to 18.45 one year from my hire date, or one year after i got 30 working days in obtaining seniority? Thanks for bringing attention to this matter.

705red

Browncafe Steward
Red,

do you have any updates on this? Our hall just now is filing our grievances (4 months later). I think the only reason they are is because they saw your post on here...lol!!
We are meeting on the 21st or 22nd on this issue, i have been collecting pay check stubs from all the grievants and also asking for volunteers to file charges and even lawsuits against ups and the teamsters if need be, plenty of volunteers, no one has said no since they are all lsing over $50 a week.

WyoBrown

This issue is frustrating as hell! My union steward spoke to the our BA on the matter and was told that drivers in progression before Aug 1, 08 DO NOT get the pay increase because we reach top rate sooner than the drivers in progression POST Aug 1, 08 therefore, making more money than the newer drivers when all is said and done.

I have tried to contact the BA personally by email (which I have done in the past with good results) and he is not responding.

If my union steward drops the ball, and the BA is non-responsive, what are my alternatives?

705red

Browncafe Steward
This issue is frustrating as hell! My union steward spoke to the our BA on the matter and was told that drivers in progression before Aug 1, 08 DO NOT get the pay increase because we reach top rate sooner than the drivers in progression POST Aug 1, 08 therefore, making more money than the newer drivers when all is said and done.

I have tried to contact the BA personally by email (which I have done in the past with good results) and he is not responding.

If my union steward drops the ball, and the BA is non-responsive, what are my alternatives?

Your agent probably is not responding because he is being told what to do from the ibt. You could probably reach the ibt at the next ups ibt pillow fight sleep over that they have schedules together!:happy2:

File your grievance, contact your national labor relations board, department of labor, and your wage commission!

And its possible that we will get a class action lawsuit together against ups and the teamsters for not living up to their end of the contract that we voted yes to accept.

If they wont live up to it, than we should throw out the parts we are not happy with working under!

jasyatz

Any new updats on this??
I have spoken to 11 "drivers from our center who are in progression and have gained seniority BY 08/01/08 and ALL have recieved BOTH the .35 bump on 08/01/08 AND 02/01/09.

I was told since I "did not gain seniority by 08/01/08, I was not entitled to this "years" raises. I have spoken to my steward and center manager and am getting no where. I keep getting the same answers. It clearly states that ALL full time employees are entitled to the contract raises. My take on this would be IF the full time employee did NOT obtain seniority BY 08/01/08, they WOULD be entitled to the raise effective their seniority date.

I fell 20 days past 08/01/08 to gain seniority under the old contract rate and was hired 11 work days BEFORE the new contract started (Even though my transfer date was 06/28/08 I did not work enough 8 HOUR DAYS to gain seniority. (I reported to work 32 days prior to 08/01/08 including 5 days for school I was paid the transfer FULL TIME rate for school)

It's like all the guys/gals "in between" the contracts were forgotten about and held in limbo to save some cash...

Here's my other qustion. If I was NOT classified as a FULL TIME seniority employee on 08/01/08, then am I entiltled to the PART TIME seniority raise since I have 2 years part time with UPS as of 08/01/08??

Enlighten me...please

gandydancer

Any new updats on this??
I have spoken to 11 "drivers from our center who are in progression and have gained seniority BY 08/01/08 and ALL have recieved BOTH the .35 bump on 08/01/08 AND 02/01/09.

I was told since I "did not gain seniority by 08/01/08, I was not entitled to this "years" raises. I have spoken to my steward and center manager and am getting no where. I keep getting the same answers. It clearly states that ALL full time employees are entitled to the contract raises. My take on this would be IF the full time employee did NOT obtain seniority BY 08/01/08, they WOULD be entitled to the raise effective their seniority date.

I fell 20 days past 08/01/08 to gain seniority under the old contract rate and was hired 11 work days BEFORE the new contract started (Even though my transfer date was 06/28/08 I did not work enough 8 HOUR DAYS to gain seniority. (I reported to work 32 days prior to 08/01/08 including 5 days for school I was paid the transfer FULL TIME rate for school)

It's like all the guys/gals "in between" the contracts were forgotten about and held in limbo to save some cash...

Here's my other qustion. If I was NOT classified as a FULL TIME seniority employee on 08/01/08, then am I entiltled to the PART TIME seniority raise since I have 2 years part time with UPS as of 08/01/08??

Enlighten me...please

OK, here is the contract, more readable than Chery's version: http://www.makeupsdeliver.org/e107_files/downloads/ups_tentative_agreement.pdf

Article 41 says, "All full-time employees who have attained seniority as of August 1, 2008 will receive the following general wage increases..." Not you. But it ALSO says "Full-time employees still in progression on the effective date of this Master Agreement shall receive the above contractual increases." So your steward and center manager are wrong and you SHOULD should have gotten $0.35 8/1/08, going from $14.70 to $15.05.

Red sees the following, "They will be paid no less than what they are entitled to in accordance with Article 41, Section 2 below.", and believes that this means you are entitled to the following schedule from section 2(c): "The progression for employees entering a package car driving, or feeder, or other full-time job (other than an air driver or a job covered by Section 3 below) position after August 1, 2008 shall be as follows:

Start $16.10
Seniority $17.25
Thirty-six (36) months Top Rate"

...but he seems to me to be wrong. You transferred on 6/28/08, and your transfer date is your full-time start date "for purposes of applying the above progression", namely that for "all full-time employees, except apprentices, who are in the progression as of August 1, 2008", which includes you:

" Rate in Effect
on July 31, 2002
Start 70%
Seniority 75%
Seniority Date plus one (1) year 80%
Seniority Date plus eighteen (18) months 90%
Seniority Date plus two (2) years Top Rate "

...and there is no reason to think your transfer date is not your start date, or "entering" date, for ALL purposes, since those terms have no contradictory definitions. Thus the category "employees entering a package car driving, or feeder, or other full-time job (other than an air driver or a job covered by Section 3 below) position after August 1, 2008" does NOT include you.

So, again, your steward and center manager are wrong and you SHOULD should have gotten $0.35 8/1/08, going from $14.70 to $15.05. But that should only have lasted until 8/21/08 when you should have gone to $15.75. And since you were in pre-seniority progression on 8/1/08 you should have gone to $16.10 on 2/1/08. Then you should go to $16.80 8/21/09. Etc.

Unfortunately less than post-7/08 hires. But that's what it says. Or so it seems to me.