promotion to Supervisor (pay scale??)

J

JAG

I am currently a ft driver and have completed the mapp process. I have several options as my area is in desperate need of supervisors.

I was wondering what i should expect as far as pay when I start out as a supervisor, and how is it calculated? I have heard it is a base pay, and someone told me it is based off of your current rate.

Thanks in advance
JAG

U

Unregistered

JAG said:
I am currently a ft driver and have completed the mapp process. I have several options as my area is in desperate need of supervisors.

I was wondering what i should expect as far as pay when I start out as a supervisor, and how is it calculated? I have heard it is a base pay, and someone told me it is based off of your current rate.

Thanks in advance
JAG

About 10 percent or so of your current rate of pay...based off yearly salary.

ok2bclever

I Re Member
They keep this pretty mums the word and at least use to shoot supe that they caught discussing their salaries between each other as they use to pay all of them differing amounts.

They use to say they wouldn't ask you to take a pay cut, so your point about based on your pay is probably pretty accurate.

On the other hand they don't pay the base supervisor for the extra hours they usually end up with from emergencies, you know day to day operations at UPS> :p

This means on an hourly basis you are likely to be taking a paycut and your benefit situation costs you more although they do pick up the costs of the manditory annual physicals I believe.

There are many variables, so it isn't all bad, but personally I'd rather stay a driver and get a hobby. :D

Personally, if your goal is to be a supervisor only it's a stupid move financially with little satisfaction and lots of frustration, but if you are aiming for Eskew's job there are potential rewards as well as sacrifices if you have what it takes, network with the right folks, are extremely competent and lconsider yourself fairly lucky.

The road ain't as easy or as fast, nor as loyal or secure as it once was though.

moreluck

golden ticket member
Back in the "days of yore" when hubby got promoted, we actually realized a cut in pay. The overtime $$$ went away, yet he worked way more hours than he did as a driver. That was in pre-historic times.

However, in the big picture, pay eventually climbed as he took further promotions and we got the opportunity to live in several interesting places. He retired at age 51. Not many people can do that these days.

ok2bclever

I Re Member
moreluck, yeah, that is why I qualified it by saying if you could rise there are benefits as well as sacrifices.

I believe it is much harder to rise significantly now.

More likely a choice you made tie as you rose somewhat above driver supervisor.

U

Unregistered

MAPP Process Info

I am an "outsider" who just went through the MAPP process. I am not sure what drivers go through, but the very first test, has a failure rate of 48%. I wasn't sure I passed it but as it turned out I received the highest score possible, with the computer having nothing to tell me about how to improve my supervisory skills.

The process is long, and not easy. I found it daunting, and extremely long and drawn out.

I drove 1000 miles to interview, and they they offered me greater than 10K per year less than what I told them prior to interviewing, that I wanted to make.

I am sadly disappointed!!!

trickpony1

Perhaps the 48% that fail can't conjugate a sentence or avoid repetition either.

Surely you didn't expect anything less than for them to "lowball" your desired entry level salary?

Surprise!

tieguy

Banned
If you're trying to lock in your fortune when you first get into management then you probably should stay put.

From what I have seen a promotion to friend/t sup will lead to approximately a 10 to 30 percent increase over your previous earnings depending on the part of the country you're in.

Your initial salary will not provide you with a comfortable living. Your efforts once promoted, the stock and how you invest will. Much has been made of the UPS management retiring millionaires. Many of those folks hypo present stock holdings to buy even more. That investment strategy coupled with steady reliable stock growth is what got them their millions.

With the 401 K and 3 percent match in ups stock you could expect to do even better. Load up on the 401K for 25 years to 30 years and you could expect to do a whole lot better.

The base salary is a nice starting point but what you and the company do once your're in will dictate your financial future.

its not easy by any means. You will be expected to walk on water and live at UPS when the baby ( your operation) is sick. Many of your people will support you and advise you if you are receptive. Some will jam you and belittle you every chance they get simply because they dispise management or had a bad experience with management at some time in their life.

Your desire to excel and your personal belief system will be tested constantly. You have to totally devoid yourself of any appearances of favoritism , immorality or unethical behavior. You have to learn to lead by example in attitude and perseverance at all times. You can never let yourself get down because you are having a rough time at work. You have to be the straw that stirs the drink. You have to be the person that confidently leads your team in the right direction. At the same time buying a driver a beer or bringing in coffee and donuts "just because" can make you human.

You have to learn to say thank you and yet rarely expect to recieve a thanks in return. In fact you probably should make up for the sins of all management and learn to say thank you too much.

There are days I hate my job with passion. There are days I leave walking on air; ecstatic over how well things are going.

You have to learn how to translate and buffer the commands from above to something your people can relate to. You have to learn to avoid getting yourslef into a style where you constantly chase the flavor of the month or are constantly putting out fires. Your people will appreciate consistency as compared to confusing and constantly changing direction.

You have to learn to make time for your people. To gather their input and ideas.The temptation will be to make your own decisions as the boss and therefore do things expeditously and your way. In the process you become part of the blame and you never get buy in or support from your people. Leadership leads but should not always dictate.

My point to all this.The money is and will be fine if you invest wisely. If its all you're worried about at this point then you may not be mentally prepared for the challenges of management. Our people are tired of leadership for the wrong reason. Our future depends on our promoting people who are innovative in leading and developing people. The old days of beating our people like mules are gone. You have to make sure you are the right person for the job and that you actually enjoy leading and interacting with people daily. If so the money will take care of itself. Good Luck

ok2bclever

I Re Member
The excellent stock growth in the long years of a rapidly expanding UPS company in the non-public years and the one time public offering move that caused the initial jump in the publicly traded stock are both factors of the past.

Neither is likely to occur at anything near those type of levels, frankly ever again.

So the chance of earning "millions" by becoming a supervisor will be limited to a handful that climb to the top of the heap.

That is not to say you cannot make a good living in supervision or accrue a very nice nest egg by the time you retire if the stock reacts positively over the years which it is likely to although nothing is guaranteed.

moreluck

golden ticket member
"Neither is likely to occur at anything near those type of levels, frankly ever again."

Ok2be....when entering mgmt. back in the stone age, we never, ever thought anything like the stock going public would ever happen....but it did. There's no way to know what the future holds as far as super-growth and by what means.

Someone choosing to enter mgmt. today could very well strike a jackpot later 20 or so years down the road. You never know. Life's a crap shoot and sometimes people who take 'risks' are rewarded. JMHO

ok2bclever

I Re Member
Yes and I am hoping that my number comes up in the MegaMillions tonight as the jackpot is over 300 mil, but both are enter the description I stated.

Highly unlikely.

Anything is possible and I hope the Mega proves me wrong overnight. :cool:

moreluck

golden ticket member
I'd wish you good luck with that Mega-million ticket except I am holding a ticket also.......that would be counter-moreluck and I want to win it !!

tieguy

Banned
"The excellent stock growth in the long years of a rapidly expanding UPS company in the non-public years and the one time public offering move that caused the initial jump in the publicly traded stock are both factors of the past.

Neither is likely to occur at anything near those type of levels, frankly ever again."

I would agree investment options are not as good as they were in the past. That could change as we continue to expand overseas. The point I tried to make was that many management built up their portfolio to the point where they were millionaires by hypoing what they had to buy more shares. If you're disciplined enough to hold onto your shares and willing to take the risk you can still get there.