PRU 401K Deduction?...

DriveInDriveOut

Inordinately Right
Are you in the plan now?
No.
3.5 more years and I'll have paid off my 30 year mortgage in under 5 years, then I'll re-evaluate my retirement strategy. I've got a Roth started but I'm not actively investing in it, I don't have a lot of faith in Wall Street at this point. Being debt free might make me a little braver when it comes to investing.

upschuck

No.
3.5 more years and I'll have paid off my 30 year mortgage in under 5 years, then I'll re-evaluate my retirement strategy. I've got a Roth started but I'm not actively investing in it, I don't have a lot of faith in Wall Street at this point. Being debt free might make me a little braver when it comes to investing.
Put the amount of your house payment in your 401k.

No.
I strongly to encourage you to put something in the 401k. Even if it's only 1%. Will $15 bucks a week kill your budget?

DriveInDriveOut

Inordinately Right
@DriveInDriveOut
You are forgetting one very important thing.

You are giving away the time of compounding.

Please read this

Here's The Difference Between Someone Who Starts Saving At 25 Vs. Someone Who Starts At 35
I guess I'm just not convcinced by this strategy. I feel like paying extra on my mortgage gets me a guaranteed 4.25% return on my money. What kind of returns am I going to get with the 401k......
Saving money in one place while paying interest on a loan in another isn't really a game I want to play.

Ya I could, I could easily max out 401k and Roth.
I pay an extra $3500 in principal on my mortgage every month.
Not asking you to Max it out. Just put a little something away .
I understand how you feel. I busted my ass to pay my house off early but I always out something away in my retirement.

I will tell you this it's nice to look at my 401k and see a couple of years worth of paychecks in it.

You can never make up the time you are losing by not investing.

Please trust me on this.

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
Ya I could, I could easily max out 401k and Roth.
I pay an extra $3500 in principal on my mortgage every month.
There's nothing inherently wrong with that because as you said paying down interest bearing debt is a guaranteed return on your investment. And once you're debt free there are certainly other options, you could continue to buy more properties and turn them into rental units for instance (I know drivers who do this). But if you are going to invest that extra money then the 401k is clearly one of the best options both for the low fees and because it functions as a tax shelter.

DriveInDriveOut

Inordinately Right
Not asking you to Max it out. Just put a little something away .
I understand how you feel. I busted my ass to pay my house off early but I always out something away in my retirement.

I will tell you this it's nice to look at my 401k and see a couple of years worth of paychecks in it.

You can never make up the time you are losing by not investing.

Please trust me on this.
But let's say my house was paid off..... and I could take out an equity loan at 4.25 points and invest that money, should I do it? Seems kind of crazy. So why would I invest money now when I'm paying 4.25 on the mortgage.....

I dunno man I went round and round about this after I bought this house, and just decided the financial security of being debt free was what I wanted to do. I'm just a dumb truck driver.

But let's say my house was paid off..... and I could take out an equity loan at 4.25 points and invest that money, should I do it? Seems kind of crazy. So why would I invest money now when I'm paying 4.25 on the mortgage.....

I dunno man I went round and round about this after I bought this house, and just decided the financial security of being debt free was what I wanted to do. I'm just a dumb truck driver.
I understand about wanting to be debt free. It's a fantastic feeling

You still need to out some away now

You trying to wear me down IVE!.... I'm a stubborn bastard.
I wrote the book on being a stubborn SOB

Now get you ass on the computer and enroll in the 401k
Before it get to this.
hPPx8yk3Bmqys.gif

DriveInDriveOut

Inordinately Right
I wrote the book on being a stubborn SOB

Now get you ass on the computer and enroll in the 401k
Before it get to this.View attachment 141168
Well I'll admit you got me looking into it.
My wife and I are both covered by a pension plan and our modified AGI is over 118k, so apparently there's not tax deduction for traditional IRA or Roth. I think the 401k is still fair game but I'm confused by this HCE stuff....

Well I'll admit you got me looking into it.
My wife and I are both covered by a pension plan and our modified AGI is over 118k, so apparently there's not tax deduction for traditional IRA or Roth. I think the 401k is still fair game but I'm confused by this HCE stuff....
That wouldn't apply to you. Unless you are making over 100+k by yourself and maxing out your 401k