PT Health benefits now 1 yr ?

wolf4747

Hello,
Offered a position in late June, accepted it, told HR I was ready to go, they got the ball rolling, ran background check, etc. Supposed to start this week. Was told I'd be eligible for health after 90 days. Since I'm starting now and the new contract passed already - no benefits for 1 yr? Wondering what your thoughts are.
I'm older and have a FT job, but wanted to start the process of putting my time in to get to a driver's spot. At least with benefits I could have declined coverage at my FT job and made a little more $. Will call HR on monday to see what they have to say.
thanks for any advice.

Duke-of-Browns

I just made the cut and will get my insurance by next week. I am very interested to see the turn over rate once new hires find out about the new insurance wait times. Alot of the guys that I work with are just hanging around because of the benefits. I'm sure it will be difficult to retain folks now.

J

JonFrum

Yep bennies start after a year and dependant bennies after 18 months

Everyone, including me, has assumed part-timers hired after 8/1/2008 now have to wait 18 months for spousal and dependant coverage. I just read the language again and it actually says, "spousal or dependant coverage." Now I'm wondering if it's one or the other, but not both! Anyone know for sure?
Article 34 --- Health & Welfare and Pension
Section 2—Part-Time Medical Coverage
(b) Notwithstanding Section 1(d) above or any contrary provision in any Supplement, Rider, or Addendum, (i) individual health coverage will be made available to part-time employees hired after August 1, 2008 after twelve (12) months of active employment and (ii) spousal or dependant coverage will be made available to these part-time employees eighteen (18) months after their initial date of employment.
http://www.teamster.org/divisions/parcel/2008UPSagreementandsupplements.htm

jack4ever

UPS4Lifer
I just made the cut and will get my insurance by next week. I am very interested to see the turn over rate once new hires find out about the new insurance wait times. Alot of the guys that I work with are just hanging around because of the benefits. I'm sure it will be difficult to retain folks now.

The turnover rate will depend on the hub or center. When I worked in a hub most of the part-timers were unmarried and just out of high school (or in their senior year), so bennies meant nothing to them (they were covered by their parents), and the turnover was extremely high (they had 102% last year), that probably won't change.

At the center where I work now everyone is married, and they all openly admit that if it weren't for the bennies, they'd be out of there. We don't have many people quit at my center now (maybe two per year), so since we all have bennies anyway,we're probably going to be alright, but if we have to hire someone new we'll probably end up with a HS student, and the last time we had a young unmarried guy he lasted 3 days. Don't know how it will be in other centers, it'll be interesting to see.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Ironically, it was the turnover rate that prompted the extension in the time frame for new hires to receive their benefits. UPS was paying all of this money in to cover P/Ters only to have them quit.

wolf4747

Spoke to HR today, was informed that in the Northeast I would still be eligible for benefits after 3 mos? Sounds good to me, orientation upcoming this week, will ask for clarification. Will still put my time in w or w/o benefits but would be much happier with.

robbdogg75

Thats good news your benefits start after 90 days. I was hired July 28th and I just got my health benefits packet today in the mail. It says me and my family are coved starting Sept 28th. Thats 60 days here at my hub. Just confused now because it says I can choose PB BCBS or PA Aetna. Anyone know which one is better of the two?

Duke-of-Browns

Thats good news your benefits start after 90 days. I was hired July 28th and I just got my health benefits packet today in the mail. It says me and my family are coved starting Sept 28th. Thats 60 days here at my hub. Just confused now because it says I can choose PB BCBS or PA Aetna. Anyone know which one is better of the two?

Yeah, I thought that was weird too. I was told 90 days for benefits when I was hired on June 30th and now my cards have come in the mail and the letter says benefits start on August 30th. I'll take it!!

As far a which one to choose: I have had great experiences with BCBS in the past so I chose that route. My wife and I are expecting our first child so I made sure which one was preferred by our doctors before choosing. I'm glad it was BCBS.

The coverage is the same no matter which one you choose so I would suggest calling your regular physician to see which one they prefer.

robbdogg75

Yeah, I thought that was weird too. I was told 90 days for benefits when I was hired on June 30th and now my cards have come in the mail and the letter says benefits start on August 30th. I'll take it!!

As far a which one to choose: I have had great experiences with BCBS in the past so I chose that route. My wife and I are expecting our first child so I made sure which one was preferred by our doctors before choosing. I'm glad it was BCBS.

The coverage is the same no matter which one you choose so I would suggest calling your regular physician to see which one they prefer.

I was stoked to receive my benefits packet saying all benefits start in 60 from hire..WOOHOO! Congrats on your first baby to come! I was leaning towards BCBS. Can't wait because right now we pay through my wifes work $420 a month for health and dental (United Healthcare) and we have a $30 co-pay.

PAUPSER

I know the Altoona center in pa, it is now a one year waiting period for health insurance. The question i have is how many people is going to bust there A** for $8.50 and have to wait a year now for any benefits.

LKLND3380

Hello,
Offered a position in late June, accepted it, told HR I was ready to go, they got the ball rolling, ran background check, etc. Supposed to start this week. Was told I'd be eligible for health after 90 days. Since I'm starting now and the new contract passed already - no benefits for 1 yr? Wondering what your thoughts are.
I'm older and have a FT job, but wanted to start the process of putting my time in to get to a driver's spot. At least with benefits I could have declined coverage at my FT job and made a little more $. Will call HR on monday to see what they have to say.
thanks for any advice.

You understand correctly... I thought UPS had a hiring freeze prior to the July deadline in a effort to keep anyone from getting health benefits under the old contract...

Check your start date and see where it falls but I think you are out of luck...

But hey... You were hired before September 1 so you will get a turkey for Christmas...

LKLND3380

Ironically, it was the turnover rate that prompted the extension in the time frame for new hires to receive their benefits. UPS was paying all of this money in to cover P/Ters only to have them quit.

This is true in the sense that people were getting jobs to cover pregnancy issues and then after the baby was born they quit UPS

LKLND3380

I know the Altoona center in pa, it is now a one year waiting period for health insurance. The question i have is how many people is going to bust there A** for $8.50 and have to wait a year now for any benefits.

Not too many... It will be mostly 18 to 25 year olds doing the revolving door... maybe a few 25 and ups will hang in...

UPS is now only good for a temp Christmas job to get in and get out... Sucks for new hires...