PT Package Handler Evenings

fresco194

I applied online a few weeks ago for package handler to try to take advantage of the seasonal hiring. I put about 3 applications for 5pm-9pm. one says that there are no appointments for the time shift that I requested and the other 2 says that there are no more appointments available. I can only work those hours after my current full time job. Did I already miss my opportunity, or are they not hiring for those hours yet? I'm assuming they are going to need help on every shift for the season. Hopefully I won't get left out. Some advise would be appriciated.

ovid

if you are only looking for a seasonal job; then i would say, don't even bother, as you could probably make more money waiting tables, or working at a home depot, etc.
but, if you are interested in something longterm with big brown, then don't be discouraged... even IF they have hired a ton of new people, and aren't currently looking, just wait a bit, as the turn over rate is extremely high, and only a small handful will actually stay on.

Fredless

APWA Hater
Fresco there are tons of apps this time of year. Frankly, I'd wait until after new years to apply. You will not gain any seniority and if you do get the chance to stay on, January 1st or whatever will be your NEW hire date and will be at 8.50 for another 3 months.

fresco194

I didn't say I wanted a seasonal position. Just wanted to take advantage of the peak seasonal hiring to get a better chance. How long do applications stay active for?

ovid

I don't know how long they stay active for, but I applied online 3-4 times, over the course of a few (non peak) months, before I got an interview and got in. If *I* were you I would find a way to get the H.R. persons name and number, and start calling.

Phil800101

Are you applying at a Hub or a local sort? That could make a huge difference, as with a Hub jobs open up all the time, while at the many local sorts (like the ones I've worked at) it was hard as hell to get on the reload shift (5-9), as most of them were people who transferred from preload and were in for the long haul...but, that's just my experience, I have no idea how it is in FL.

CharlestonMule

Charleston Mule
Hey Fresco I can tell you how I managed to get on. I work the preload at my local sort and Im coming up on a year now. Ive been to driving school and hope to RTD before Thanksgiving.
I started out last December as a driver helper. I know it sucks as far as the "we call you when we need you" schedule, but if you can just give them all you can for that one strectch, I think it would really up your chances when the peeps in HR start making phone calls in January. I was lucky enough to get on (as a helper) with a veteran who worked out a schedule so that I could work Mon-Fri with him everyday from like 10 til 8 or 9. He told me everything and more about UPS and thats when I made my final decision that I wanted to try and get on board.
I saw how one poster above said to get the name and number of the HR person that you need to butter up. Well my driver buddy called her a few times for me in my case and ended up giving me the number. I had to turn my browns in at the end of December and I was SOOOOO dissappointed thinking this would be the end. Well, the second week of January I got a call from said HR person, and here I am today. Sorry for such a long post as all of mine seem to be all though still very few. Good luck and dont get down, there are tons of people here that really shouldnt be and they eventually make room for people who want to work hard. I mean no offense to anyone but I think everyone knows someone at their center be it a supe or loader or even a driver thats always punchin in last, doin the least amount of work, and always punchin out first. Peace...............................................................MULE

RockyRogue

Agent of Change
but if you can just give them all you can for that one strectch, I think it would really up your chances when the peeps in HR start making phone calls in January.

I did the same thing you suggested: giving them 100% of my work, reliable, flexible, etc. The OMS's at the Center knew my name because I would call EVERY day to see if another driver needed help after I was done. The result was that I worked with something like 8 or 10 drivers.

After our blizzards last year, I kept working when 1/3 of the helpers refused to answer their phones. I primarily worked with two drivers, by the way. The first one I worked with called me one morning after our SECOND blizzard, asking if I'd already set up a meet time/point with my second driver. I said I had. Poor guy went NUTS over the phone, SCREAMING expletives in frustration. He asked that I call if I had the energy after I was done with the driver I was working with. That driver showed up, we did about a dozen stops and I said, "By the way, X called me this morning asking for my help if I got done and had the energy to continue." The guy didn't even look up from his board as he grunted and answered, "You won't have the energy. We have about 230 stops left." Next day, the second driver called, we set up a meet-point and I went back to bed. Fifteen minutes later, he called back and said, "I'm going to loan you to X, OK? He's screwed." We were out for 9.5 hours that day. Poor guy had another hour's worth of work to do when the recall order came. Not a happy camper.

We were close to getting caught up and my second driver said, "Oh, by the way, the center manager told us this morning that if our helper is interested in part-time inside work, to get the name and SSN. He'll give the info to HR for priority hire." I was released the next morning and HR called less than 72 hours later. I started inside on January 28th. UPS and I separated on October 11th. If hard-work is something you love, UPS will give it to you--in spades! -Rocky

fresco194

I keep reading alot about January. Is that when they do alot calls and hiring? If I don't know anybody in UPS, how can I find out the name & number of the HR person?

Phil800101

According to my sources, there are three UPS hubs in Florida: Jacksonville, Hialeah, and Orlando. If the place you applied to isn't one of these places, then it is a local sort.

In case you don't know, these are the main differences between the two. A hub transfers stuff from trailer to trailer, train to trailer, trailer to train, or to and from aircraft if it's an air hub. Packages are sorted as they are transferred, and if not sorting in some way you are generally loading or unloading trailers or whatever. Local sorts, on the other hand, are specifically for local package delivery. The preload shift involves receiving trailers from hubs, sorting the contents, and loading them onto the package cars. Reload is preload in reverse; stuff comes off the package cars (and some local trailers) and is loaded onto trailers which are sent to hubs. However, there are preload and reload operations like this at hubs, but hubs are open 24 hours while local sorts usually only have those two shifts. Also, hubs are obviously much larger than the local sorts.

I know, it's a lot of information, but I wanted to give you an idea of what goes on at what place, and how to tell them apart, if you didn't know already.

CharlestonMule

Charleston Mule
If hard-work is something you love, UPS will give it to you--in spades! -Rocky

This is true. But, I see it a little different. I went to 2 yrs of college and dropped out because I absolutely hated it. I stayed drunk, and never went to school. Well, now that I think about it, maybe it was fun but at any rate it aint for me. There arent too many jobs that pay what UPS pays to a non-degree carrying employee and There are even fewer high paying jobs that require LESS work/labor without a college education. So Im glad I have at least the opportunity to earn a decent wage with some dedication and hard work. To each his own...........

About the JANUARY hiring thing I dont think that it is a special time set aside to hire new employees, but more so hiring driver helpers who turned out to be hard working and willing to give it a try. I think that if you are just persistent you can and will get on. I was just sharing my experience and what seemed to work for me. Peace>>>>>>>Mule

RockyRogue

Agent of Change
This is true. But, I see it a little different. I went to 2 yrs of college and dropped out because I absolutely hated it. I stayed drunk, and never went to school. Well, now that I think about it, maybe it was fun but at any rate it aint for me. There arent too many jobs that pay what UPS pays to a non-degree carrying employee and There are even fewer high paying jobs that require LESS work/labor without a college education. So Im glad I have at least the opportunity to earn a decent wage with some dedication and hard work. To each his own...........

I went to college, too. I got a Bachelors in English, though. Not much good it was going to do me :crying:. I'm 2/3 of the way through a Masters. I'll wrap in June '08. Like you said....to each his own.

I think there is something to the January hiring thing, though. A lot of employees jump ship after the holidays--school, etc. There were two other people in my orientation class. One of the others had been a helper. The other guy was a clear from the East that wanted to come back. -Rocky