PT Supervisor Tips

I just recently was hired for a PT Preload Supervisor shift, I start next week and was wondering if any others with the same position or who have previous experience could give me a few tips on how to be very successful in the job. I understand the basics and know what I am walking into, but there are just some of those things you learn with experience and some are learned the hard way - looking to skip that part.

TearsInRain

IE boogeyman
don't chase the numbers, meaning, don't start taking actions to directly influence your numbers. it won't work, and you'll sacrifice the quality of your operation in the end

dont fall into the mindset that your hourlies are out to screw you over.

the only meaningful way to reduce misloads is to improve load quality.

put everything you have into the first 30 days of training a new hire. if you don't train them right then, you'll be stuck with the results for a long, long time

above all else, don't let your bosses micromanage your operation

Leftinbuilding

Understand that the driver knows more about the route than you. He knows the job and knows what it takes to get it done so, for the most part, his complaints will be legit.

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
Respect your people, learn the job, keep your hours down, unless you get paid for them. I was one for 6 yrs, they had my back and I had theirs, of course way back then UPS was a friendlier company. Today my advice would have been read all the posts on here about it and dont do it.

Know that you don't matter. You are a part time puke. If you are a real a hole you will get promoted. The draw back is if you are an a hole guys like me will look for something to :censored2: with. Good luck bro. Remember respect the steward because we all mess up and the good ones watch everything. God bless

Kis124

All I can say is..know the job you are supervising. And know your hourlies strong/weak points. Are you going to be a belt sup or in the unload? In our unload, they have people doing jobs they suck at, and people who are much better suited to do that job unloading trailers. We have 60 year old men unloading, and 18 year olds flipping for the spa people...makes no sense. Get to know the people, but make it clear you are in charge. You can do that with out being a butt about it...honest..it CAN be done. Is it? rarely