PT Training Supervisor looking to make the jump to Operations.

wide load

Starting wage is a waste of time.
Currently a PT Training Supervisor looking to run an outbound belt. Looking for advice to be as successful as possible when I do make the switch. Any and all advice, welcome!
I posted this in the “I wannabe a manager thread” but it still applies you what your asking. Each step needs to be completed or you can kiss a promotion goodbye. Ready? Ok!!

1) Get to know a bunch of upper management.
2) Kiss some epic ass.
3) Lie to your superiors about the “smart” decisions you’ve made.
4) Pretend you love working over seeing your family.
5) Wait.
Good luck!
Why in the friend would you take a job in management when they are currently thinning the herd? Smh

RolloTony Brown Town

I posted this in the “I wannabe a manager thread” but it still applies you what your asking. Each step needs to be completed or you can kiss a promotion goodbye. Ready? Ok!!

1) Get to know a bunch of upper management.
2) Kiss some epic ass.
3) Lie to your superiors about the “smart” decisions you’ve made.
4) Pretend you love working over seeing your family.
5) Wait.
Good luck!
Why in the friend would you take a job in management when they are currently thinning the herd? Smh

Are you in management?

Being a training supervisor is most definitely a paper b-word job. In my experience, if they’re leaving you on the training team they may feel you have some areas that need to be developed.

That being said, operations may not be in your best interest at this time. As an operator you are THE trainer of everyone on your belt. I suggest asking your supervisor what he thinks you need to work on and do that. Once they see that you’ve taken the initiative they may move you to an outbound belt or a dirt aisle.

Just some thoughts from one hub supervisor to another.

wide load

Are you in management?

Being a training supervisor is most definitely a paper b-word job. In my experience, if they’re leaving you on the training team they may feel you have some areas that need to be developed.

That being said, operations may not be in your best interest at this time. As an operator you are THE trainer of everyone on your belt. I suggest asking your supervisor what he thinks you need to work on and do that. Once they see that you’ve taken the initiative they may move you to an outbound belt or a dirt aisle.

Just some thoughts from one hub supervisor to another.
I’m a driver. Going management is rolling down a path of the idiotic.

wide load

You missed his point. What would you say to someone who was never a driver, but talks like he/she knows everything about being a driver?
Do the think my original post was portrayed as being without satire? Apparently you’re both missing the point.

RolloTony Brown Town

Do the think my original post was portrayed as being without satire? Apparently you’re both missing the point.

Obviously I didn’t take your initial post literally, but did your post add value to the thread? That was the point I was making.

I do a lot of reading and much less posting these days due to these types of posts. A person starts a thread seeking guidance in the section for management. He gets trolled by a driver. Put the shoe on the other foot. If a young hourly posted something about a contract violation and a management person responded being sarcastic odds are that half of the browncafe members would jump down my throat.

We talk a lot about what’s wrong with this company on here. To me that disrespect between management and the union is the bigger problem with big brown.

wide load

Obviously I didn’t take your initial post literally, but did your post add value to the thread? That was the point I was making.

I do a lot of reading and much less posting these days due to these types of posts. A person starts a thread seeking guidance in the section for management. He gets trolled by a driver. Put the shoe on the other foot. If a young hourly posted something about a contract violation and a management person responded being sarcastic odds are that half of the browncafe members would jump down my throat.

We talk a lot about what’s wrong with this company on here. To me that disrespect between management and the union is the bigger problem with big brown.
I agree. Where do you think the disrespect comes from and how do you suggest it be fixed?

RolloTony Brown Town

I agree. Where do you think the disrespect comes from and how do you suggest it be fixed?

I think that depends. The first question of where do I think it comes from gives the impression that you feel it’s on management. I can agree that poor management is a problem. Can you also agree that poor employee attitudes are an issue with UPS? Cause it is.

I think it starts here right now and it continues everyday. At the end of the day we’re all trying to get the same job done. Yet we fight amongst each other. We need each other. You May be able to deliver a route, but you can’t dispatch everyone, or make sure the preload is wrapped or make sure the air trailer leaves on time. I need you and the rest of the group to deliver and pickup all of the pieces. The same way you need us to take care of those things. you may have some ideas on how you can help. Do you share them? Or have you given up? Too many of us have given up. There are so many things we can do different. The problem is that you the employee do not care because you assume I don’t care. It happens both ways where the driver or preloader cares and his supervisor has checked out. When we stop bickering and just do the job together it’s a much happier environment.

This forum is a representation of UPS and all of its employees. If we can’t even cooperate on a message board then how will we succeed in our operations?

wide load

I think that depends. The first question of where do I think it comes from gives the impression that you feel it’s on management. I can agree that poor management is a problem. Can you also agree that poor employee attitudes are an issue with UPS? Cause it is.

I think it starts here right now and it continues everyday. At the end of the day we’re all trying to get the same job done. Yet we fight amongst each other. We need each other. You May be able to deliver a route, but you can’t dispatch everyone, or make sure the preload is wrapped or make sure the air trailer leaves on time. I need you and the rest of the group to deliver and pickup all of the pieces. The same way you need us to take care of those things. you may have some ideas on how you can help. Do you share them? Or have you given up? Too many of us have given up. There are so many things we can do different. The problem is that you the employee do not care because you assume I don’t care. It happens both ways where the driver or preloader cares and his supervisor has checked out. When we stop bickering and just do the job together it’s a much happier environment.

This forum is a representation of UPS and all of its employees. If we can’t even cooperate on a message board then how will we succeed in our operations?
But where do these poor employee attitudes stem from. I see every new guy ready to do a great job. Then that changes one day. Do you know from where?

burrheadd

KING Of GIFS

Signature Only

Blue in Brown
Don't touch any packages, train people the RIGHT way based on what bulk stops are coming for the trucks that he or she is loading so that the person can understand the routes. These are the 2 keys to becoming a successful belt supervisor.
Ahhhh. Yes

Back in the day starting in the preload, the center manager trained me for 2 days in unload. He was really good and would just observe and provide a tip or two per day.

In preload my trainer was also well qualified. We had alpha charts back then and every preloader had at least 5 years experience so with 50 routes or so everybody knew who got what. We would call our own breaks, help each other load and adjust loads between routes without any management input.

Good old days

PT Car Washer

Ahhhh. Yes

Back in the day starting in the preload, the center manager trained me for 2 days in unload. He was really good and would just observe and provide a tip or two per day.

In preload my trainer was also well qualified. We had alpha charts back then and every preloader had at least 5 years experience so with 50 routes or so everybody knew who got what. We would call our own breaks, help each other load and adjust loads between routes without any management input.

Good old days
I remember those days.