Purpose of signing when not donating?

konsole

Management made the rounds today asking if people wanted to donate to the United Way. I said that I did not want to, yet I still have to sign the paper? I usually don't donate via this method and in the past I have always thought it was a bit odd about the signing even when not donating, but this time I got the urge to actually find out what the reasoning is behind this. I can understand signing the paper if I WAS donating so that they have my authorization to take the money out of my check, but if I prefer not to donate why dont they just not give me a paper to fill out? Do they really need to have some kind of official paper saying that I wasnt donating?

It doesnt feel much different then a random person asking me on the street if I want to donate to some charity, and I say not but they oddly ask me to check the box and sign their paper anyway.

HEFFERNAN

Huge Member
They want to make sure that every employee was given a chance to donate.
Could be so management doesn't leave your sheet on a desk somewhere and you were never given a chance to donate
Also to prove there was 100% participation even if you didn't donate

Catatonic

Nine Lives
They want to make sure that every employee was given a chance to donate.
Could be so management doesn't leave your sheet on a desk somewhere and you were never given a chance to donate
Also to prove there was 100% participation even if you didn't donate

Heff got it right.

SignificantOwner

A Package Center Manager
Management made the rounds today asking if people wanted to donate to the United Way. I said that I did not want to, yet I still have to sign the paper? I usually don't donate via this method and in the past I have always thought it was a bit odd about the signing even when not donating, but this time I got the urge to actually find out what the reasoning is behind this. I can understand signing the paper if I WAS donating so that they have my authorization to take the money out of my check, but if I prefer not to donate why dont they just not give me a paper to fill out? Do they really need to have some kind of official paper saying that I wasnt donating?

It doesnt feel much different then a random person asking me on the street if I want to donate to some charity, and I say not but they oddly ask me to check the box and sign their paper anyway.

They need to check you off a list. The best strategy is to go to UPSers and fill out your contribution form as soon as possible (even if zero). This will minimize face to face contact.

BlackCat

No thanks. Give me a cause and I will donate directly to it.

The devious side of me tells me UPS has ulterior motives when dealing with United Way.

Jackburton

Gone Fish'n
No thanks. Give me a cause and I will donate directly to it.

The devious side of me tells me UPS has ulterior motives when dealing with United Way.
To UPS, it's all about numbers. UPS doesn't care about my family, what makes you think they (as a corporation) care about someone else's who doesn't have any ties with UPS. Somewhere somebody is making a commercial right now touting the amount of donations UPS gives to United Way, not employees. They just need some numbers to plug in after the commitment sheets are turned in.

Dracula

Package Car is cake compared to this...
If you don't want to do it through UPS, tell them. They used to do a full-court press on us every year. I told them I prefer to write a check to my favorite charity at tax time. I never got bothered again.