Push for SFA participation

hypo hanna

In spite of what "captain wavey hands", AKA Matthew Thornton III said, we are getting a lot of pressure from the local managers to take the SFA. What's it like at your stations?

Cactus

Just telling it like it is
In spite of what "captain wavey hands", AKA Matthew Thornton III said, we are getting a lot of pressure from the local managers to take the SFA. What's it like at your stations?
Sounds to me like there's some bonus in it for the managers if they get everybody or a certain high percentage of employees to take it.

dezguy

Sounds to me like there's some bonus in it for the managers if they get everybody or a certain high percentage of employees to take it.

I don't know about down there but the first 10 questions on the SFA effects our managers raises. Get a bad SFA score and it is taken into account when it's raise time for station managers.

Cactus

Just telling it like it is
I don't know about down there but the first 10 questions on the SFA effects our managers raises. Get a bad SFA score and it is taken into account when it's raise time for station managers.
If that's the case our managers wouldn't even making minimum wage.

Sent using BrownCafe App

CJinx

In my experience, local management gets huge pressure from district management to have high participation numbers; whether or not they care what the results are is a different story, but it seems to be a quantity over quality thing.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
Its all about money

Yes, in a way. It's really all about unions, and specifically, whether or not we will form one. The SFA, which has not changed much in 40 years, is mainly a measurement of how pissed-off we are. In other words, are we angry enough to form a union? The SFA is a "test" that upper management devised to gauge the mood of the workforce. Is it accurate? No, not really, but that is it's true main purpose.

On a secondary level, it can be used to assess managers too, but since all that matters any more is making your numbers, even a manager with abysmally low SFA scores is safe because it's all about the money...like you said.

When MT3 was a manager, his scores always sucked, but because he made goal, he moved-up the chain. He is where he is at because he is an absolute jerk, with a total focus on the numbers. He was famous for unreasonable demands and OLCCs for having lates, even lates that were beyond your control. That's what they want, and those same inhuman, obnoxious "qualities" make for promotions and future success at FedEx.

So, if your manager gets a 16 on their SFA, nobody will bat an eye in Memphis if they make budget and have good numbers. If they get a 98, go over budget and have bad numbers, they are toast.

The SFA was absolutely designed for the primary purpose I have described above. Anything else is smoke and mirrors.

59 Dano

I just want to make friends!
So, if your manager gets a 16 on their SFA, nobody will bat an eye in Memphis if they make budget and have good numbers. If they get a 98, go over budget and have bad numbers, they are toast.

My goodness, you should try amateur night at local comedy club.

Artee

On Friday our Sr. Manager let us know the SFA was coming up and that it was voluntary. They could not force us to take it and if we did decide to take it just be honest with our responses. We have had more and more people over they years just stop doing it, so instead of fighting about it he decided to be upfront and nip it in the bud. He mentioned he was surprised they were even still bothering with the SFA and thought it would be gone by now.

Dex01

Banned
When MT3 was a manager, his scores always sucked, but because he made goal, he moved-up the chain. He is where he is at because he is an absolute jerk, with a total focus on the numbers. He was famous for unreasonable demands and OLCCs for having lates, even lates that were beyond your control. That's what they want, and those same inhuman, obnoxious "qualities" make for promotions and future success at FedEx.

It's almost as if MTIII works for a global corporation.

DRAisawesome

Well if your station is like mine. They have laminated SFA questions and explained what they mean. Does PSP work for you? Part of the people is the SFA process. Along with GFT. Clearly states that the GFT is a process. No guarantees that one will win the outcome. GFT. Grounds for fair termination.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
Well if your station is like mine. They have laminated SFA questions and explained what they mean. Does PSP work for you? Part of the people is the SFA process. Along with GFT. Clearly states that the GFT is a process. No guarantees that one will win the outcome. GFT. Grounds for fair termination.

It's all about attempting to control the process. Everything at FedEx is designed to provide them maximum protection from liability and foist it upon you. As an "at-will" employee, you are already behind the 8-ball, and all the rest of the acronyms help decide whether the 8-ball rolls over you and crushes you, hits another ball and destroys someone else, or bounces harmlessly into a pocket.

SFA really no longer has much of a purpose other than for them to crow that they provide it as an opportunity for employees to evaluate the company and it's leaders. Even if we all gave our managers an overall score of 2, we'd never know it. SFA is nothing but an acronym, just like PSP, GFT and all the rest of them. Steaming piles of :censored2: that mean nothing to you unless you drink the Kool-Aid or ignore the obvious ways to get terminated.