Put down your phone and drive...........

barnyard

KTM rider
A friend of mine is a writer in the auto industry and he recently covered a tech session at MIT regarding technology and automobiles.

Driverless cars came up and the consensus was that they are uninsurable, so we will probably never see them in the US.

Another topic was increased 'safety features' in cars. Most of the experts stated that they believe that those features are making our population more dangerous behind the wheel as we are relying way too much on a warning beep instead of actually watching where we are going.

A topic that was covered extensively was the lack of driver ed in the US. Most drivers go to school once, pass their test and never do another thing to make sure they are a good driver, have not picked up any bad habits and that they are staying abreast of changes in traffic laws. Some theorized that the day is coming, sooner rather than later, that everyone will have to retest every so many years in order to maintain driving privileges.

I wish the guy I know would write an article on the event so that I could link it or cite it.

oldngray

nowhere special
A friend of mine is a writer in the auto industry and he recently covered a tech session at MIT regarding technology and automobiles.

Driverless cars came up and the consensus was that they are uninsurable, so we will probably never see them in the US.

Another topic was increased 'safety features' in cars. Most of the experts stated that they believe that those features are making our population more dangerous behind the wheel as we are relying way too much on a warning beep instead of actually watching where we are going.

A topic that was covered extensively was the lack of driver ed in the US. Most drivers go to school once, pass their test and never do another thing to make sure they are a good driver, have not picked up any bad habits and that they are staying abreast of changes in traffic laws. Some theorized that the day is coming, sooner rather than later, that everyone will have to retest every so many years in order to maintain driving privileges.

I wish the guy I know would write an article on the event so that I could link it or cite it.

Newer drivers that started after the rear view monitors had been installed rely on that far too much and don't use the side mirrors enough. They fall into the habit of using it like a normal car's rear view mirror and hit a lot of fixed objects.

Indecisi0n

Just a heads up for drivers that can't seem to live without their cell phones while driving. We had a driver pulled over by DOT for using a cell phone while driving a commercial vehicle. Luckily for him, they only issued a warning ticket. Unluckily for him, UPS decided to give him an intent to terminate letter.
UPS has decided to forgo a verbal warning or warning letter dealing with this issue. We all know that they have sent out PCM's telling drivers not to be using a cell phone while driving. I hope he gets to keep his job but it's not like this is a surprise.
Personally, I don't even own a cell phone or plan on ever owning a cell phone. I don't feel I am missing out by not owning one. I haven't come across a situation since cell phones arrived that I couldn't wait until I get home to use a phone. Cell phones are a convenience. Not a necessity.
No cell phone?How do you play candy crush?

jumpman23

Oh Yeah
Just a heads up for drivers that can't seem to live without their cell phones while driving. We had a driver pulled over by DOT for using a cell phone while driving a commercial vehicle. Luckily for him, they only issued a warning ticket. Unluckily for him, UPS decided to give him an intent to terminate letter.
UPS has decided to forgo a verbal warning or warning letter dealing with this issue. We all know that they have sent out PCM's telling drivers not to be using a cell phone while driving. I hope he gets to keep his job but it's not like this is a surprise.
Personally, I don't even own a cell phone or plan on ever owning a cell phone. I don't feel I am missing out by not owning one. I haven't come across a situation since cell phones arrived that I couldn't wait until I get home to use a phone. Cell phones are a convenience. Not a necessity.
Bluetooth problem solved, bunch of jacknutt idiots still holding their cell phone up to their ear to talk. Its 2014 not 2000 lol.

TooTechie

Geek in Brown
I said this the day they started making laws. If they actually cared all new cars would automatically block signal once put in gear.

But then all the cops couldn't chat on their phones all day while driving around.
Believe it or not cell jammers are illegal in the US. You can actually make your own pretty easily.

TooTechie

Geek in Brown
I've had that position about driver aid technology for a while.
The auto parking technology is pretty neat where the car can perfectly parallel park itself between other cars and you just keep your foot on the break. That's already available to the public.
Evidently, quite a few commented that they expect a big increase in backing crashes once the mandated back up cameras become common.
Yup unless they are redesigned they actually are worse than not having one. While teaching my teens to drive I found them both looking at the dumb monitor screen instead of looking over their shoulder. They both almost hit stuff doing it.

Newer drivers that started after the rear view monitors had been installed rely on that far too much and don't use the side mirrors enough. They fall into the habit of using it like a normal car's rear view mirror and hit a lot of fixed objects.
I started after they were put in and I use all 3 every time. I also have a rule for myself that I must take off my sunglasses when backing.

Wally

BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns
I'm not sure cell phone bans do anything in terms of safety. You would think accidents would have decreased with driving-cell phone bans, but this is not the case at all. Researches have found no decrease in accidents, as have insurance companies.

Z

ZQXC

I scares the hell out of me everyday when so many drivers in oncoming vehicles are looking down at a phone as they pass.

The Driver

I drive.
I scares the hell out of me everyday when so many drivers in oncoming vehicles are looking down at a phone as they pass.

I saw an idiot today that was looking and scrolling on his big cell as he swerved in and out of two lanes. Pissed me off, I honked and flashed my lights at him. There's got to be a way of shaming these dangerous morons into paying attention.