Put down your phone and drive...........

Harley Rider

34 yrs & done!
Just a heads up for drivers that can't seem to live without their cell phones while driving. We had a driver pulled over by DOT for using a cell phone while driving a commercial vehicle. Luckily for him, they only issued a warning ticket. Unluckily for him, UPS decided to give him an intent to terminate letter.
UPS has decided to forgo a verbal warning or warning letter dealing with this issue. We all know that they have sent out PCM's telling drivers not to be using a cell phone while driving. I hope he gets to keep his job but it's not like this is a surprise.
Personally, I don't even own a cell phone or plan on ever owning a cell phone. I don't feel I am missing out by not owning one. I haven't come across a situation since cell phones arrived that I couldn't wait until I get home to use a phone. Cell phones are a convenience. Not a necessity.

born2Bwild

I don't use my phone when I'm driving. Funny is, the day we got the PCM regarding they use of the phone I saw the same supervisor driving and talking on the phone in one hand! He even waved at me with his second hand.

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
Get a cell phone it could save your life or a family members life. I speak from experience.

Does your wife not work? With the hours we work my break is the only time I have to take care of stuff. Without a cell phone I couldn't do that.

bleedinbrown58

That’s Craptacular
The last 2 times i went out as a helper...one driver was texting while driving....the other took several phone calls (no bluetooth) while heading to a stop. Granted...I'm no snitch, but dude....put the phone down till we stop.

moreluck

golden ticket member
I don't like it when the light turns green and the person just sits there and doesn't move. My horn has gotten a lot of use these days.
I too, don't have a phone. If anything happens, 99% of the folks around me have a phone and can dial 911. If I was incapacitated, I couldn't dial Santa Claus anyway!

Covemastah

Hoopah drives the boat Chief !!
there should be a jamming device in all vehicles preventing cell use ........... I would rather be behind a drunk,,they seem more focused !!

Brownslave688

I don't like it when the light turns green and the person just sits there and doesn't move. My horn has gotten a lot of use these days.
I too, don't have a phone. If anything happens, 99% of the folks around me have a phone and can dial 911. If I was incapacitated, I couldn't dial Santa Claus anyway!
Someone could be calling you to save someone else's life.

Once again just speaking from experiance. Without cell phones a close family member would be dead.

Brownslave688

there should be a jamming device in all vehicles preventing cell use ........... I would rather be behind a drunk,,they seem more focused !!
I said this the day they started making laws. If they actually cared all new cars would automatically block signal once put in gear.

But then all the cops couldn't chat on their phones all day while driving around.

Harley Rider

34 yrs & done!
How did UPS find out if the driver was only issued a warning???

As I understand it.......... a ticket was also issued for not having a fully charged fire extinguisher on the package car. The DOT officer told the driver that he would probably want to tell his supervisor about it instead of when they received something in the mail. I am guessing that both infractions were listed on the same ticket.

barnyard

KTM rider
Driving while using a phone is illegal in many places. Including using Bluetooth. Still considered distracted driving.

It is actually illegal in any state for a commercial driver to use a cell phone while operating a commercial vehicle, unless he/she is using a hands-free device.