PVDs and the contract

35years

Gravy route
I would love to hear any stories of his that you're willing to share!

It's my signature because people have mostly forgotten what it took to win a decent way of life and some rights at work. While it's a different time, and we all hope it never comes to risking life or limb on the streets, it's hard to think that this country isn't heading that direction ...
Dad was kind of closed lipped about some of it. Like the guys who go to war and come back. Not everything was legal...

He was at the grain exchange at the time of the riots. He was an organizer and political. It cost him his job.

A different world. He rode the rails during the great depression. St Paul was the wild west. Capone, Ma Barker and all the gangsters were allowed to hang out without fear of prosecution in St Paul as long as they did everything illegal outside the city limits...Usually in Mpls.

Dad described the speakeasys...Slot machines along the walls. The buck machines as you walk in. Then the quarter, dime, nickle, and penny slots as you go towards the exit.

My grandpa did hard time at Leavenworth for bootlegging. My impression is dad was involved in running the hooch.

So the books paint a rather whitewashed picture of the organizers. They were dealing with ruthless "business owners". Think of the dishonest bastard managers at UPS but with more power. So the workers challenging their power needed to be ruthless as well. Who were the real criminals? Society favored the men with money. Cops were enforcers.

burrheadd

KING Of GIFS
So in the future without the pvd's they'll just hire them as seasonal drivers but not have any vehicles to put them in & give rpcds all that work back?

It seems to me this is all about a vehicle issue, we can't get enough for peak season so we have pvds use theirs.

Idk, I'd rather get home with 9 hours through peak rather than 12.
Did you vote in the recent teamsters election

UnionStrong

Sorry, but I don’t care anymore.
Dad was kind of closed lipped about some of it. Like the guys who go to war and come back. Not everything was legal...

He was at the grain exchange at the time of the riots. He was an organizer and political. It cost him his job.

A different world. He rode the rails during the great depression. St Paul was the wild west. Capone, Ma Barker and all the gangsters were allowed to hang out without fear of prosecution in St Paul as long as they did everything illegal outside the city limits...Usually in Mpls.

Dad described the speakeasys...Slot machines along the walls. The buck machines as you walk in. Then the quarter, dime, nickle, and penny slots as you go towards the exit.

My grandpa did hard time at Leavenworth for bootlegging. My impression is dad was involved in running the hooch.

So the books paint a rather whitewashed picture of the organizers. They were dealing with ruthless "business owners". Think of the dishonest bastard managers at UPS but with more power. So the workers challenging their power needed to be ruthless as well. Who were the real criminals? Society favored the men with money. Cops were enforcers.
Bricks and bats were standard equipment then.

Whither

Scofflaw
Rings true!
Who were the real criminals? Society favored the men with money. Cops were enforcers.
This sounds eerily similar to my ears. Look at the fortunes made so far during the pandemic. And then all those who fell into dire poverty and homelessness. Then you have plenty of workers spouting 'society' views: no one wants to work, they're lazy bums, let em starve or die of exposure if they won't accept poverty wages. One thing we've lost is solidarity. It's hard to imagine a general strike, but they used to happen .... Too many people are more tuned in to BS propaganda than the reality of other working people who are forced to earn a living ... as if they were our enemy.

UnionStrong

Sorry, but I don’t care anymore.
Rings true!

This sounds eerily similar to my ears. Look at the fortunes made so far during the pandemic. And then all those who fell into dire poverty and homelessness. Then you have plenty of workers spouting 'society' views: no one wants to work, they're lazy bums, let em starve or die of exposure if they won't accept poverty wages. One thing we've lost is solidarity. It's hard to imagine a general strike, but they used to happen .... Too many people are more tuned in to BS propaganda than the reality of other working people who are forced to earn a living ... as if they were our enemy.
History always repeats itself. Only it won’t be bricks and bats this time.

35years

Gravy route
I would hope the union would have a modern strategic plan for a strike including manipulating social media.....

Not holding my breath

TearsInRain

IE boogeyman
There is no Corp appetite to expand PVD usage, just make it more efficient

PVD's fill a niche use that is stupid to fill with union drivers and the IBT knows that too, so all the pipe dreams about getting rid of PVDs are in fantasy world

MyTripisCut

Never bought my own handtruck
IMO, we’d be better served to help stop the year round abuse of subcontracting in the feeder departments all over the country before we try and stop the one month of PVD usage. The two are implicitly tied together, more gypsies equals more packages at a reduced rate that buildings and drivers cannot realistically handle. And again, the argument that it’s not sustainable to staff for peak year round is getting old when the profit margin soars into the billions every year. UPS corporate is definitely onto something with the supply and demand they’ve created during peak, we just need to direct it to be supplied by union members.

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
UPS corporate is definitely onto something with the supply and demand they’ve created during peak, we just need to direct it to be supplied by union members.
I'm curious to know how it is that UPS Corporate "created the supply and demand" issue in regards to Peak staffing (assuming that is what you meant?) and what they should do with that staffing outside of the Peak Season if forced to hire permanent bargaining unit employees?

Whither

Scofflaw
I would hope the union would have a modern strategic plan for a strike including manipulating social media.....

Not holding my breath
Yes, it would be foolish to not draw broad connections. The working class has borne the brunt of the pandemic's costs.

MyTripisCut

I'm curious to know how it is that UPS Corporate "created the supply and demand" issue in regards to Peak staffing (assuming that is what you meant?) and what they should do with that staffing outside of the Peak Season if forced to hire permanent bargaining unit employees?
Supply and Demand of packages created by UPS in regards to Feeder network, building, and package car capacity. Not so much supply and demand of staffing, although it is related not how I mean it. But the use of gypsies has been allowed contractually for years during peak (and outside of peak), spiking the amount of packages available for delivery, necessitating seasonal hub and package employees keep up with the excess volume. This all drives profits for UPS and if the local collects dues them too. If the gypsy usage was regulated it would lessen the flood potentially, and maybe I’m crazy. Lol.
For the record I’m for PVDs, just more structured language regarding their usage.

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
Supply and Demand of packages created by UPS in regards to Feeder network, building, and package car capacity. Not so much supply and demand of staffing, although it is related not how I mean it. But the use of gypsies has been allowed contractually for years during peak (and outside of peak), spiking the amount of packages available for delivery, necessitating seasonal hub and package employees keep up with the excess volume. This all drives profits for UPS and if the local collects dues them too. If the gypsy usage was regulated it would lessen the flood potentially, and maybe I’m crazy. Lol.
For the record I’m for PVDs, just more structured language regarding their usage.
I would agree outside of the Peak and Vacation Replacement (Central) seasons.

....but to turn away the extra volume and revenue of the Peak Season would not be in the best interest of the Company or the Union in my opinion.

This brief holiday driven "all you can eat" period has traditionally allowed us to stay fat year round.

COVID-19 and the volume surge it created has certainly turned those equations upside down over the past two years though.

MyTripisCut

I would agree outside of the Peak and Vacation Replacement (Central) seasons.

....but to turn away the extra volume and revenue of the Peak Season would not be in the best interest of the Company or the Union in my opinion.

This brief holiday driven "all you can eat" period has traditionally allowed us to stay fat year round.

COVID-19 and the volume surge it created has certainly turned those equations upside down over the past two years though.
Like I said I’m all for them. Just more structured language, and for the love of god let’s get more of them in on weekends.

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
Like I said I’m all for them. Just more structured language, and for the love of god let’s get more of them in on weekends.
I have been arguing lately that the term "weekend" is no longer defined as Saturday and Sunday, due to the myriad of different scheduled workweeks....especially in feeders.

I believe this premise will only get more complex and convoluted in the coming years and that our contractual language needs to evolve to keep pace to protect seniority in regard to extra work and premium pay.

Inthegame

I have been arguing lately that the term "weekend" is no longer defined as Saturday and Sunday, due to the myriad of different scheduled workweeks....especially in feeders.

I believe this premise will only get more complex and convoluted in the coming years and that our contractual language needs to evolve to keep pace to protect seniority in regard to extra work and premium pay.
Ahhh, the rare salient point! It's about time someone with a brain will be inputting logic in the next NMA and CRT.

Be careful kemosahbee, even the new overlords won't like being shown up by an upstart.

How come you weren't an at large VP candidate?

Anyway, Happy Thanksgiving, Happy Birthday, Merry Christmas and most important (since we visit so often)...Happy St Pats!

a911scanner

There is no Corp appetite to expand PVD usage, just make it more efficient

PVD's fill a niche use that is stupid to fill with union drivers and the IBT knows that too, so all the pipe dreams about getting rid of PVDs are in fantasy world
And according to many, it's "FantasyLand" to think there could ever be a strike.

But I wouldn't bet the farm on it not happening either.

The world is a strange place. Many times in history when us humans say"that could never happen", that exact thing happens.

Wally

BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns
Well I'll be the first to say that we don't have to worry about PVDs any more. Vincent Perrone from LU 804 has already won this case and as he states in this post is waiting for the IBT to back the decision. Now that OZ has won it will be a slam dunk. PVDs are a thing of the past and good riddance!!!!
View attachment 361156
Lol what did the 804 win?