Qualifying driver screw up.

Two Tokes

Give it to me Baby
Hi all, I’m on my 12th day of qualification. Yesterday I got some bad news. I left a next day air in my truck from one of my pickups. Sup and Union rep took me aside, just told me not to do it again. Then today, I was informed that I left another next day air in my truck. I was seasonal for two months and never left ANY air in my truck. Now, these two days in a row I’ve left air. I know how to fix it (keep count of total air, group all air together etc.) I’m concerned about how boned my qualification is going to be. Two air packages in two days. I know that doesn’t look good- AT ALL. I dont want to go to work tomorrow and be told my SOL. What are your thoughts? How common is this? What should I expect?
It’s a bit ironic, the air driver even asked “You don’t have any next days hanging back there do you?” When I was unloading.
Thanks!
You should not use your real name and have a picture of yourself on this site just for the record
Also stop being such a * with the nda

Last edited by a moderator:

Bob Saget

You should not use your real name and have a picture of yourself on this site just for the record
Also stop being such a :censored2: with the nda
Alright, just for the record.. You do know who Bob Saget is, right? You may have just proved yourself to be equally * as I am.

Bob Saget

Come on man
Did you not understand that I was pulling your chain
Damn
Well, looks like I’m just the only * one here. I’ll see myself to the short bus.
My apologies, I’m just freakin out about this and there’s nothing I can do about the past, just gotta make the future squeaky clean. I’ve been losing sleep over that haha

Whither

Scofflaw

Okay. Well, it's company policy that you take a lunch break, so that's not gonna affect your overallowed, e.g., you're still 1 hour from scratch. Your sup would've just told you to take your lunch while waiting on the pickup, haha. One thing that will help you get closer to scratch is taking your lunch earlier and spending some of it sorting your truck. Do you know the bid driver or experienced cover drivers? Always the best people to ask for route-specific advice. The methods can only take you so far.

When qualifying -- I know it's impossible to judge precisely -- it's good to bring it in right at the planned mileage. The good ol time study expects you to be done faster if you drive 5 less miles than the plan. But if you drive 5 more, it allows no extra time. The trick is: on many routes you have to find ways of breaking trace to save mileage because you'll add mileage breaking for NDAs, savers, businesses, pickups. Sometimes the dispatching is just plain bad, other times it's just unrealistic. And god forbid you make a wrong turn in the wrong place haha. If you're not keeping track of your planned miles v actual, definitely start.

Thegameisrigged

Hi all, I’m on my 12th day of qualification. Yesterday I got some bad news. I left a next day air in my truck from one of my pickups. Sup and Union rep took me aside, just told me not to do it again. Then today, I was informed that I left another next day air in my truck. I was seasonal for two months and never left ANY air in my truck. Now, these two days in a row I’ve left air. I know how to fix it (keep count of total air, group all air together etc.) I’m concerned about how boned my qualification is going to be. Two air packages in two days. I know that doesn’t look good- AT ALL. I dont want to go to work tomorrow and be told my SOL. What are your thoughts? How common is this? What should I expect?
It’s a bit ironic, the air driver even asked “You don’t have any next days hanging back there do you?” When I was unloading.
Thanks!
Wherever you place one air, you place them all. This will insure that you have all when pulling them off the truck. Don’t make them mistake of placing some in one area and placing some in another. You can forget you’ve placed air in two different areas.

Analbumcover

ControlPkgs
When qualifying -- I know it's impossible to judge precisely -- it's good to bring it in right at the planned mileage. The good ol time study expects you to be done faster if you drive 5 less miles than the plan. But if you drive 5 more, it allows no extra time. The trick is: on many routes you have to find ways of breaking trace to save mileage because you'll add mileage breaking for NDAs, savers, businesses, pickups. Sometimes the dispatching is just plain bad, other times it's just unrealistic. And god forbid you make a wrong turn in the wrong place haha. If you're not keeping track of your planned miles v actual, definitely start.

That sounds really complicated. I just drive a brown box filled with smaller brown boxes that I leave on people's doorsteps. Then I return and punch out when the big brown box is empty of smaller brown boxes or filled with new brown boxes that I picked up during the day.

KoennenTiger

I'll get five to a hundred NDA pickups a day. I don't have missed origins ever. I start with them at the back end of the 8000 shelf (I brick my truck during PU), then move to RDL, then RDC, then wherever in the back.

Every single day I search my truck for NDA pickups. Yes I know it's the end of the day we all want to go home but you know what? You're getting paid to make sure.

You get paid for it.

So make sure.

But yeah you're a packet newb my God we got so many of you guys around now to make a billion 22.4s. So what? You're too dumb to stack your air and load it on the air belt. Better figure it out. And when center mngr says why you :censored2: up bro? Look him in the eyes, pull up your boot straps (wtf are boot straps btw?) and look him in his eyes while you ask him about his divorce. Wait I mean why you tell him, I :censored2:ed up Joe. Whoops but don't worry I have ten years times 365 days where I didn't.

You have zero days. So stop :censored2:ing up my God we got enough retards around here we don't need no more :censored2: drivers

quad decade guy

Okay. Well, it's company policy that you take a lunch break, so that's not gonna affect your overallowed, e.g., you're still 1 hour from scratch. Your sup would've just told you to take your lunch while waiting on the pickup, haha. One thing that will help you get closer to scratch is taking your lunch earlier and spending some of it sorting your truck. Do you know the bid driver or experienced cover drivers? Always the best people to ask for route-specific advice. The methods can only take you so far.

And this is what is precisely wrong with the whole fricken thing. Trying somehow to run scratch based

on a computer program. Or qualify. It is what it is. The system shouldn't have to have tricks or

manipulation or deception or stealing time(both sides) etc. What is a time study? One day.

I spent 15 years in pkg. Some days were better than others, a lot were pure misery. And the worst

part of all-working your tail off, blood, sweat and tears(all literally) and being bitched out the next

day. Being accused of screwing em out of time and money.

So, get into feeders when you can, get a road run and truly soak em for 60 hours, cash that $120k

paycheck and relax. I got to thinking about peak the other day....meh.

Re-Raise

Sorry, but that is just not true. I’ve worked in a bonus center for over 30 yrs. Extra miles absolutely add to your planned day.

Nobody cares what your ORION plan says in the morning. That can be manipulated by your dispatcher by adding how far under/over they think you might run.

The real “planned day” number adds up all of the miles,stops,pkgs and pickups at the end of the day.

These factors are route specific based on time studies done years ago. Some routes have better allowances than others.

But the bottom line is you do get extra time for every mile you actually drive each day!

Re-Raise

The key to running scratch is not wasting time in the back of the truck or at the delivery point.

I never run..hell I barely even walk briskly lol, but I know how to find pkgs in a bricked out pkg car and I know exactly where I am going to DR at every house on my route before I even get out of the truck.

That all just comes with experience.

Whither

Scofflaw
Sorry, but that is just not true. I’ve worked in a bonus center for over 30 yrs. Extra miles absolutely add to your planned day.

Nobody cares what your ORION plan says in the morning. That can be manipulated by your dispatcher by adding how far under/over they think you might run.

The real “planned day” number adds up all of the miles,stops,pkgs and pickups at the end of the day.

These factors are route specific based on time studies done years ago. Some routes have better allowances than others.

But the bottom line is you do get extra time for every mile you actually drive each day!

Hmm. I'd read on here and also heard from a sup that miles over the plan don't add time. Figured that made sense since of course the company's position seems to be that we can always run the routes more efficiently. In any case, during my 30 mgmt stressed not going over by more than 5 miles.

Whither

Scofflaw
That sounds really complicated. I just drive a brown box filled with smaller brown boxes that I leave on people's doorsteps. Then I return and punch out when the big brown box is empty of smaller brown boxes or filled with new brown boxes that I picked up during the day.

Sounds like you have a decent route, congrats. I've been covering a real peach in a p1000 the last month. At least once a week I have to part a sea of irregs and blown out bulk stops so I can open my roll door, then unload hundreds of pounds of cargo to begin hunting for a damned COD. If it's spa'd RDR, usually I find it wedged against the wall in MFR, maybe even MFL or FDL.