Qualifying process.... how does it really work?

MisplacedRailWorker

an absolute *ing disgrace of a human being.
Sounds good.

Are there part time driver positions?

Is it still the case that new hires get no benefits for a year?
I’ll tell you this: that is all answered on UPS Jobs website or at the interview. But here’s my concern, If you’re already asking about specific details regarding qualification, It sounds like would get yourself on a real anxious ride out of here fast. If you’re cut out for it, it’ll work out and you’ll qualify. You got to just do it and see for yourself; either you’ve got it or you don’t. What’s your background if you don’t mind me asking? Any military?

MisplacedRailWorker

an absolute *ing disgrace of a human being.
Sounds good.

Are there part time driver positions?

Is it still the case that new hires get no benefits for a year?
Most areas are hiring drivers, there is a combination option that is not really part time; it’s called 22.4. It’s listed as flexible driver schedule or something like that.
Then there are full-time seasonal positions, which are six months and just that. No benefits, zero expectation of having a job after seven months and a day.

If you want to go in as a package handler, that’s part time and depending on the area it’s between 30 and 90 days in when you start getting your benefits. You also become a union member in a much easier qualification process. Then you can put your name on a list to go driving and have pretty much no obligation to work full time hours unless you choose.

Read around on the forum for details, and use that magnifying glass on the top right of your screen to help you search for more answers. There’s a lot of guys on here that (allegedly) make six figures as a package handler, driving when it makes sense and using the knowledge they have from their local to benefit their bank account the most. FT inside, seniority, bid sheets, 22.3 are all keywords I recommend you search the site for. Have a safe day

MassWineGuy

Thanks so much. No military. A few peaks at UPS and nearly six years as a FedEx Express driver. The work atmosphere and corporate culture aren’t perfect, but it’s better in many ways. But I’d still consider a change.

freehoodies

Can you qualify early? I still had 5 days left on my packet but they put me on another route to cover someone. A couple of the other drivers said that means i've qualified but no management has expressly told me.

trickpony1

Can you qualify early? I still had 5 days left on my packet but they put me on another route to cover someone. A couple of the other drivers said that means i've qualified but no management has expressly told me.

Don't ask them either.
Keep your mouth shut, do your time and let them make the mistakes.
It may work in your favor.

freehoodies

Don't ask them either.
Keep your mouth shut, do your time and let them make the mistakes.
It may work in your favor.
Yes sir. Im keeping my mouth shut and my head down.

But what is the main reason for not mentioning it? Is it so if they were trying to just work me till the 29th day and cut me they might mess up?

charm299

I started as a seasonal driver, i was rehired as a preloader after peak. I worked as a preloader for a month in then an supervisor told me he needed me to drive the next day. I was never told about a 30 day qualifying period. I drove about 2 days a week for a few months until the summer got here and a drive a little more. It’s been 3 years and not a word was mentioned to me about my 30 days.