Question about paycheck

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
It is an accounting method to withold the taxes on your legal insurance. Many people do not know that we have legal insurance. Its a great benefit, I had no legal fees for my divorce or having my will drawn up.

chev

Nightcrawler
It is an accounting method to withold the taxes on your legal insurance. Many people do not know that we have legal insurance. Its a great benefit, I had no legal fees for my divorce or having my will drawn up.
Now that is really good to know. :wink2:

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

This can also be used when you close on your house. I actually made $400 from the Union as the seller was paying all of my closing costs and they (Union) paid me the $400 for my lawyer. Sweet!

My divorce didn't cost me anything either--I should clarify, I didn't pay any legal fees. My divorce cost me plenty.

What'dyabringmetoday???

This can also be used when you close on your house. I actually made $400 from the Union as the seller was paying all of my closing costs and they (Union) paid me the $400 for my lawyer. Sweet!

My divorce didn't cost me anything either--I should clarify, I didn't pay any legal fees. My divorce cost me plenty.
It would appear that taking the $400 dollars would be somewhat dishonest. On a brighter note, it is good to know you are involved with the union for things that can benefit you.

What'dyabringmetoday???

Brown Cafe stalker aka What'dyabringmetoday
You are a funny person. On another thread you advise people to punch out prior to washing their hands as to not get in trouble for stealing time from the company. I guess it is all right for you to take $400.00 from the legal fund, though. Do as I say, not as I do? Call me a stalker if you want, but you should practice what you preach. You certainly preach a lot on this message board.

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
It would appear that taking the $400 dollars would be somewhat dishonest. On a brighter note, it is good to know you are involved with the union for things that can benefit you.

If I am reading Upstate's post correctly, the closing costs were factored into the final sales price on the house. He utilized a benefit that he was entitled to and adjusted the price accordingly. He could have done the same thing by paying his own closing costs, getting reimbursed from the fund, and simply charging $400 more for the house. Either way, I see nothing dishonest here.

On a side note, the legal benefit in my area doesn't cover real estate transactions. I think that the covered expenses vary from place to place.

What'dyabringmetoday???

If I am reading Upstate's post correctly, the closing costs were factored into the final sales price on the house. He utilized a benefit that he was entitled to and adjusted the price accordingly. He could have done the same thing by paying his own closing costs, getting reimbursed from the fund, and simply charging $400 more for the house. Either way, I see nothing dishonest here.

On a side note, the legal benefit in my area doesn't cover real estate transactions. I think that the covered expenses vary from place to place.
First, I believe from the post it was a purchase of a home, not that it really matters much. Second, the post states that the seller was paying all closing costs. To me that would include buyers attorney fees. Maybe that was not the case, but either way the poster APPEARED to be gloating about getting one over on the legal fund. If you do not NEED a benefit, whether legal, health, or any other, it would seem the cost of those benefits COULD be driven up by trying to use them anyway. I am sure several cases go on throughout the country where people run to the emergency room when they have a scratch on their finger. These are merely opinions that I am sure many do not agree with.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

This is a benefit that I was entitled to, much the same as any other Union member. $400 toward legal services if the lawyer that you plan to use is not on their network. Should I be penalized because I was a good negotiator and was able to get the seller to pay all of the closing costs on the sale? No thanks, Union, you go ahead and keep that $400 so that you can send out more propaganda on my dime. My lawyer and I agreed to submit her bill to the Union and I had a check for $400 within 2 weeks.

You are a funny person. On another thread you advise people to punch out prior to washing their hands as to not get in trouble for stealing time from the company. I guess it is all right for you to take $400.00 from the legal fund, though. Do as I say, not as I do? Call me a stalker if you want, but you should practice what you preach. You certainly preach a lot on this message board.

If you would have taken the time to read my post and had asked for help with the big words, you would have read that I simply took advantage of a benefit that I was entitled to. I did not take $400 from the legal fund. Am I to be punished because I was able to get the seller to pay all closing costs and I utilitzed a benefit from a Union that I pay $86/month for the priviliege of being a member of?

First, I believe from the post it was a purchase of a home, not that it really matters much. Second, the post states that the seller was paying all closing costs. To me that would include buyers attorney fees. Maybe that was not the case, but either way the poster APPEARED to be gloating about getting one over on the legal fund. If you do not NEED a benefit, whether legal, health, or any other, it would seem the cost of those benefits COULD be driven up by trying to use them anyway. I am sure several cases go on throughout the country where people run to the emergency room when they have a scratch on their finger. These are merely opinions that I am sure many do not agree with.

I have to admit that you may have a point here as I may have been gloating just a bit and for that I apologize. I do not apologize for simply taking advantage of a benefit that I am entitled to.

Now, would you please go stalk someone else for awhile?

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

How do you go about using this insurance if you need it?

You should have received a booklet from your Union outlining the benefits available to you. This information may also be on their website, if they have one. It is much easier to use a lawyer that is part of their network as they will handle the billing for you but you are free to use any lawyer that you would like and you will be reimbursed based on a fee schedule for the services that you use.

The problem with paying for Legal Svcs is that most employees either do not know about this benefit or they do not take advantage of it and they feel that they are paying for nothing.

upsconfused

Does anyone have legal insurance. And, what is the BF Flex on the paystub. Isn't that my flex account. Where do I get a breakdown for what the health ins cost for myself and then for my kids. My ex spouce pays for half.