Question about possibly switching sorts

BearcatShane09

Package Handler
I work on the day sort here at my hub and I was wondering if I requested to switch to preload what needs to happen for me to be able to do that? And do they make anymore money?

PiedmontSteward

RTW-4-Less
Generally, both sort managers (in your case, the day sort and the preload sort managers) have to approve the request, in writing. There also needs to be a spot open for you.. if you have attained seniority, you have the right to bid into a preloader job ahead of the company hiring someone off the street.

Preload is usually one of the skinniest shifts as far as making money is concerned, but it depends on the building. You'll get your 3.5 gurantee and not much more than that.

ORLY!?!

Master Loader
Here in Orlando, its one the highest earning spots on both twilight and midnight. I get near 100$ more then the chargers, sort, unload and many others. We get more hours then any, except drivers and 22.3.

As for getting onto the preload. Shouldnt be too hard of a request. Preload has a huge turn over rate through out the country. They are always looking and open to people going preload. But be warned, if you turn out good or great at it, it will be hard for them to let you go elsewhere if you start hating the job. Preload is a death sentence.

Edit: its hard, also, for them to let you go because you do earn a skill dollar raise after a period of time while preloading. They see it as, you got the raise, you're stuck here and will never let you go.

TearsInRain

IE boogeyman
lol god, why the **** would you want to transfer into preload? id quit if they sent me back to preload, unless they tripled my pay

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
lol god, why the **** would you want to transfer into preload? id quit if they sent me back to preload, unless they tripled my pay

I only worked preload for the two years before I drove. Got laid off and had to double shift. Never realized how much easier twilight was. Except for the guys that load the trailers. That there is physically the hardest job in ups as far as I'm concerned.

BearcatShane09

Package Handler
Well I've loaded on day sort for 3 and a half years and the sort on monday is about 11-5:30 and the rest of the week it's about 2-6 so its really hard for me to get a 2nd job since UPS is directly in middle of the day. What I'd like it to work preload and then work another job until the evening. And when I asked about more money I meant to ask do people on preload get a raise?