Question about Working in UPS!!!!

xmortumx

Well im new to this site(Glad i found it) and i been reading through a lot of posts and im getting the idea about what to expect. I have an Interview tomorrow (Package Handler) and I was wondering if I get hired( assuming i get hired right away) can i miss a day. I have a really important event happening on June 17 at 6pm.... and im applying to work at the twilight shift( approx 4-10pm). Would the people at UPS let me miss a day of work when i just started?

Or can i start a different shift just for that day so that i Can attend the event at 6pm??

I would appreciate if anyone can help me. THANKS!

xmortumx

well that was my concern that it wouldn't look good that i ask i day off but i cant miss that day. So should i just cancel my appointment and make it after june 17??

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

No, don't cancel it, but be sure to mention it during your orientation so that, if you are hired, this can be noted but you should know that days off are dependant upon staffing and your new hire status may indeed work against you.

helenofcalifornia

I imagine it won't be a problem if you tell them from the get go that you need this day off. I don't know what your area is like with hiring employees to work at UPS, but in ours, they need you more than you need UPS. I would stress your reliablility, be an excellent worker and just suck up in general. I guess it depends too on if you get hired at a center vs. a hub. Good luck.

SoyFish

I would let them know during the interview. When I had mine on Friday, it wasn't too bad. I'm sure if you give them enough notice and mention it they'll like your honesty.

thebrownbox

Sounds like me.. I just had started working at UPS and I felt uneasy taking time off (3 days) but this was something legal due to my father's death.. (I still need to go down again to take care of the rest) so I waited about a month in and I requested the time off.. I got the "you know you don't qualify for time off yet" speech but it was fine.