Question for seasoned drivers

1BrownClown

Doing my Time!
I got my "call up to the big league" this week and will start driving full time the beginning of next week.:thumbup: I feel I have prepared myself the best I can working as both a drivers helper and Sat Air Driver. My question is this:
How do you / did you as seasoned drivers find a way to slow the job down?
(by" slow the job down" I don't mean working slowly but rather not freaking out when you can't find a package, a stop, etc...?)
What can I do to keep the theme song from the TV show "24" from constantly playing in my head? beep....beep...beep....
Aside from heavy drinking what do you do or what steps do you take to stay calm?
Thank you in advance, any help / advice will be much appreciated!

kingOFchester

Congrats on the new gig!! Woo Hoo!! best of luck to you!! I hope to make it to the majors before I am broken down!! BTW, how long ago did you start with UPS? Where in Philadelphia do you work!!

Again, best of luck, and sorry i don't have an answer other then do your best, and everything will come to you!

MR_Vengeance

United Parcel Survivor
I got my "call up to the big league" this week and will start driving full time the beginning of next week.:thumbup: I feel I have prepared myself the best I can working as both a drivers helper and Sat Air Driver. My question is this:
(by" slow the job down" I don't mean working slowly but rather not freaking out when you can't find a package, a stop, etc...?)
What can I do to keep the theme song from the TV show "24" from constantly playing in my head? beep....beep...beep....
Aside from heavy drinking what do you do or what steps do you take to stay calm?

as long as you can stay accdent free, then there's no reason why you shouldn't be calm. don't beat yourself too hard if you can't meet the numbers, just don't run into anything.

Everybody go`s thru that in the beginning. After your umpteenth dumped shelf when you bump a curb you realize if you go a little slower but make less mistakes you`ll actually be faster. The quicker you learn to be smooth rather than fast the better you`ll be. And safety first!

Captain America

SuperDAD to the rescue
If you relax like I mostly am now you will have poor numbers. Run your butt off until you get past probation. At my center we always joke about who was on their knees in the office with their head bobbing up and down on the center manager'S lap that morning. You may want to give that a try:lol:. Eat right, get pleny of rest, make this the center of your life for a while, be safe and RUN YOU MOTHERLESS PIECE OF EXCREMENT!! GOGOGOGOGO ARRGH I THINK I'M HAVING A HEART ATTACK! BUT I WILL FINSH THE DAY, MY SUP ASKED ME TO HOLD OFF GOING TO THE HOSPITAL UNTIL I FINISHED MY ROUTE:w00t:

DS

Fenderbender
I disagree with captain america.Never run,it will cause more problems than it solves.If you try to go too fast you will either hurt yourself or have an accident,and either one will end your driving career pronto.
UPS calls it working with a sense of urgency,thats all you need to do.
Do one stop at a time and move on to the next one,it will be stressful
at first but it gets easier with time.

Griff

Almost all of the new drivers I've seen lose all their time inside the truck. Looking for the package too long, sheeting it up while still in the truck, putting a DR bag on the package while in the truck, etc. Keep it moving, don't waste time in the truck, do everything on the move.

satellitedriver

To answer your question directly, time.
The job of a driver is 80% mental 20% physical.
Try and stay calm and deliberate in your actions.
One day, you will "click" into the flow of the job.
Not to be negative, but the job never really gets any easier.
It is just the way you handle it that gets easier.
Best of Luck