Question on change

Ive believe Ive heard of somwhere of being able to temporalily switch back....i dont remember the specifics and i could be completely wrong...maybe do a search on UPSers?
From what I have read on here (we don't have any 22.3 jobs here) the 22.3s are considered full time positions. Any FTer with enough seniority can bid them. Some of the FT drivers that have bid them call them retirement jobs. Again, that's just from what I have read on BrownCafe.

Braveheart

Hi, I have a question I was wondering if anybody could help me with. I have been with UPS now for over ten years and have spent the last two as a full-time driver; unfortunately, while I definitely do like to drive I have decided that I don’t want to make a career of it like I thought I wanted to. I have decided that I want to go back and finish my degree at school; however, I cannot do this working the hours I do as a driver. Waiting for a feeder or combo job will take just too darn long so I was thinking of going back to part-time. Does anyone know if I could do that without quitting and re-applying? If quitting and re-applying is the only way, I am very seriously considering doing that but if I do, does anyone know about the procedure? I was told a long time ago that if you quit in good standing UPS had to rehire you before they could hire anyone else from the outside…is this true?

BTW…I work in the Central States region.
Thanks.
New contract states that no medical benefits for 12 MONTHS and none for the family for 18 MONTHS for all new part timers. I would suggest on-line courses, study during lunch, option days for cramming before tests and take vacations a best times to help with schooling.

Good Luck

Covemastah

Hoopah drives the boat Chief !!
Thought you could bid down to a lower paying job on the annual bids!!{bi annual now} I bid down to pkg from feeders a long time ago and had no problem,after 3 yrs on pkg I bid back to feeders,God I'll never do that again...

UnconTROLLed

perfection
Look, some areas allow you to "bid down" to 22.3 from package or feeders and even change centers and dovetail seniority....and others do not....and some allow you to change only within your center, etc etc it is all depending on the supplement you fall under.

bad company

semi-pro
I go to school online and UPS pays for it. It's not always fun to come home to do school work, but it beats the alternative. I wouldn't quit... you can go to school and driver full-time.

some1else

Banned
i would say your best chance would be go pt sup. you are leaving once you get your degree anyway and if you pre-load sup you will keep benefits make almost half as much as a ft driver and will have plenty of time for school.

just dont tell them that; go in and talk to the center manager and say you want to be just like him when you grow up! and you want to go into mngmt but you need a degree so pt sup for a couple years then you will go ft. its your only shot...

i did school as a pt air driver and even 30-35hours a week was hard ft school. if you are going to a real school and not an online-degree purchase plan you will be competing against other students that have no job, live on campus, and can spend ALOT of time on their work. i worked, commuted, and didnt sleep! so its a handicap at best. i dont think you could make it through a real school while working ft. you could take 1-2 classes a semester but you will never finish at that rate.

UPSer21

Operations Supervisor
i believe in education as much as the next guy but if you have a house payment, car payment, and a bunch of other bills that depend on your job at UPS... My personal decision would be online schooling or none at all. Thats just what I would do. I have also never heard of a full timer bidding down to part time work. A 22.3 job is possible as others have said, but that doesn't really solve your problem since its still full time work. Guess you just need to think this one over, and weigh the pros and cons. Do what you feel you need to do to be happy in life.

dupa

On-Road Integrated Optimization and Navigation.
ok, i dont post often, but u mentioned Central States and that is where im at and i can inform u that there is no way u can go back to part-time.
2 examples here...................
1st) Female driver, 10 plus years, husband on motorcycle wipes out and is hurt bad, needs constant care, driver wants to go back to preload so she can take care of husband during the day. UPS says no, now she takes 90 days FMLA then comes back and works 3 months then goes back out on FMLA. Been going on for about 3 years

2nd) My best friend is a driver with 15 years, divorced and no kids, meets and marries a woman with a nice business in womens beauty products, they have a child soon afterwards and he takes FMLA during the birth of 90 days and falls in love with his new daughter, wants to stay home and raise. Asked UPS if he could go part-time, answer NO
He waits till end of year bids his 3 weeks vacation and 2 week personal and sick days starting january 1st and never came back