Question on delivery

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I had a delivery today that puzzled me and I was wondering if anyone has had this happen to them and, if so, how did you handle the delivery? I had 2 pkgs for a residential and there was the ! that indicated that there were notes regarding this delivery. When I scanned the first pkg a screen appeared that basically said that I had to get a signature, no DR allowed. I got the same message when I scanned the second pkg. The service level was ground (03) and there was no signature required stickers or anything on there that would indicate that the shipper paid the extra money for me to get the signature so I DR FD and went on my way. It sounds like this is a shipper who is trying to get out of paying whatever it is we charge for an autograph these days by adding notes to his shipments.

Has anyone else had a situation like this and, if so, how did you handle it?

2Slow

Probably your center team flagged that address to always require a signature. They would typically do that if there have been excessive claims and/or suspicion of fraud at that stop.
If the shipper has a setup like that (such as the one to note and deliver on damaged or open att/cingular pkgs that we've all seen), then UPS knows about it.

Either way, you probably shouldn't have left the pkgs.

HEFFERNAN

Huge Member
I have noticed notes pop-up after I scan a package. Usually something like (no redirect) or (RTS - no change of address). I don't know if its preprogrammed in the diad when a package with the shipper number is scanned.
But if it was under notes with a (!), then it was probably a claims issue with the address in the past. (just like the past poster said)

over9five

Staff member
Actually, I think I have had this happen (Package memory is starting to fade!).
I think I've had M&Ms or something that came up "leave in a shady location" or something. I ended up thinking that ALL packages with that shipper # would probably say that. Like the shipper made a deal with us to always have that warning show up.

My next question for Upstate is were the 2 packages from the same shipper? Maybe this shipper has some kinda deal for us to always get a signature?

Cobra Agent

Mandalorian
I get the same error message sometimes when I have one of those boxes of fruit. I scan the package, get a message that it is a dr package, then press any button to escape from the screen then get a signature required message. If it is a secure area i usually dr the package (fruit/perishable items). However I do know we get these messages because of theft issues, but i am not going to let the fruit sit in my 120+ degree truck for the next 2 days trying to get a signature on a box of apples.

stevetheupsguy

sʇǝʌǝʇɥǝndsƃnʎ
I had a delivery today that puzzled me and I was wondering if anyone has had this happen to them and, if so, how did you handle the delivery? I had 2 pkgs for a residential and there was the ! that indicated that there were notes regarding this delivery. When I scanned the first pkg a screen appeared that basically said that I had to get a signature, no DR allowed. I got the same message when I scanned the second pkg. The service level was ground (03) and there was no signature required stickers or anything on there that would indicate that the shipper paid the extra money for me to get the signature so I DR FD and went on my way. It sounds like this is a shipper who is trying to get out of paying whatever it is we charge for an autograph these days by adding notes to his shipments.

If the residence is flagged, your board would not let you DR the pkg. Our center puts a #4 classification for prior problems at particular addresses. The number pops up to the left of the shipper info after you scan and big arrow down. I haven't noticed anything like what you mention above, as of yet.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

If the residence is flagged, your board would not let you DR the pkg. Our center puts a #4 classification for prior problems at particular addresses. The number pops up to the left of the shipper info after you scan and big arrow down. I haven't noticed anything like what you mention above, as of yet.

I have several of these but this was different. I am certain that the notes were put there by the shipper to avoid having to pay our signature charge.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Actually, I think I have had this happen (Package memory is starting to fade!).
I think I've had M&Ms or something that came up "leave in a shady location" or something. I ended up thinking that ALL packages with that shipper # would probably say that. Like the shipper made a deal with us to always have that warning show up.

My next question for Upstate is were the 2 packages from the same shipper? Maybe this shipper has some kinda deal for us to always get a signature?

Yes, they were both from the same shipper.

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
If the service level numbers were not 35, 42, a8 then it was put in because there was a claim at the locale. You can over ride them which I do if it is a shipper release. You cannot overide them if it is requested by the shipper, as above.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

If the service level numbers were not 35, 42, a8 then it was put in because there was a claim at the locale. You can over ride them which I do if it is a shipper release. You cannot overide them if it is requested by the shipper, as above.

I was able to DR pkgs w/no problem. This address is not a claims issue. I truly think the shipper was simply trying to avoid paying to get a signature.

browniehound

I have several of these but this was different. I am certain that the notes were put there by the shipper to avoid having to pay our signature charge.

I believe Upstate is correct. I'm guessing the UPS software allows the shipper to add a note to each package they ship. If the "note" was put there by the center it would be a "note 4" and a "No DR allowed" prompt would appear as soon as you tried to DR the package.

This shipper is trying to avoid the extra cost of "signature required" by putting this in the notes, and they would like to get a signature for their shipment but they don't want to pay for this level of service.

I think these packages can be DR'ed without any reprecussions for the driver. If you are hesitant, however, there is a simple solution.

Did you know there is an option in the DIAD to make a package "signature required'? This is a way for UPS to obtain its revenue from shippers who try sneak their way to a "42" when paying a "03".

For example, a sig req. will have a "42" after the shipper # in its barcode and the shipper pays extra for this level of service. All other grounds have "03" after the shipper # and these don't require a signature.

Some shippers that want a signature and don't want to pay the premium for the service will put the "sig req." stickers on the box or print "No DR" in the address label.

As a driver you have two options. You can DR the package or you can choose "package info" from the DIAD menu. Next you can choose "signature required" or "adult signature require". When you choose one of these the package now becomes signature required. The DIAD will not let you release them without a signature and the shipper will be charged accordingly.

Its a way for UPS to get the revenue it deserves from shippers trying to sneak a service from them at no charge.

I hardly use this option but have from time to time. Anyone else here ever use it?

What'dyabringmetoday???

Good job taking matters into your own hands. Seems to be a pattern with you. Keep up the good work.

DiadDude

There are two types of "Notes" that come up in the DIAD.

The first type is a "Territory" note that is placed on a location by the center team. These notes are normally requested by the consignee and include things like access codes or requested release locations.

The second note type is a "Shipper" note. These notes are associated with a shipper number by corporate. The shipper does not have the ability to put a note on each package, rather corporate assigns a shipper number which will always produce a certain note. If you scan a package from shipper XYZ123, and it says "Do Not RTS", every package from XYZ123 will say the same thing.

You can tell the difference between the notes based on when they become available. If you just select a stop from your EDD screen by pressing Right Arrow (Enter) and you see the !, you can press the NOTES key to see the messages associated with the stop. If something pops up when you scan a package it is at the request of the shipper.

Bottom line is shippers can't avoid charges by attaching Notes to a package, because corporate has to be involved for the shipper notes to get there in the first place

over9five

Staff member
Man it's good to have members from all areas of UPS here at BrownCafe!

So if you see that note, you get a signature.