Question regarding SPH

Operational needs

Virescit Vulnere Virtus
Slowing down isn't necessary. You have no obligation to take a break if you have to wait on ready times. I'd rather burn it up and take a long breather as opposed to slowing down. It's not a courier's problem if there isn't enough work for him. Management can give him more stops to occupy the time, have him come off the road early and assign his stops to another courier, or have him go into an offroad code and read the SRG companion (crazy, but true).
That's what I always told management... it's not my fault the work isn't there.

I used to cover a route that only had 13 regulars. Some days, in the beginning of the route I would run my butt off then sit and wait 90 minutes for a Dropbox playing with my phone. Because of horrendous rush hour traffic, it made no sense for me to leave my route to go help anyone else. Took too long to go there and come back. Loved covering that route. Lol.

Purplepackage

I've been directed many times by management to go into a shuttle code while sitting and waiting for pups, of course I've also been asked to punch in early and go pick up and an employee who missed the bus lol

MAKAVELI

The faster they make you go to hit the numbers, the more gap time you have waiting for pick ups because your early
I've been directed many times by management to go into a shuttle code while sitting and waiting for pups, of course I've also been asked to punch in early and go pick up and an employee who missed the bus lol
We've also been told using a 22 is a no no unless driving to help someone or to meet up for late freight. The bottom line is to stay off the radar. That means using best practices and working at a steady pace. Don't work too slow or too fast and you shouldn't have anything to worry about. I've seen couriers that " run " and have large gap times only to have more work put on them by " restructuring ".

Purplepackage

We've also been told using a 22 is a no no unless driving to help someone or to meet up for late freight. The bottom line is to stay off the radar. That means using best practices and working at a steady pace. Don't work too slow or too fast and you shouldn't have anything to worry about. I've seen couriers that " run " and have large gap times only to have more work put on them by " restructuring ".

I've seen that happen also, I'm a swing so I'm never really concerned about them restructuring since it's not my route anyway. They can do whatever they to the routes

HedleyLamarr

Thanks for the help everyone. :-)

Most days I only have 23 or 24 regular PUPs, plus 3 or 4 oncalls. Somedays, they will also give me a missorted package to deliver as well. Traffic is pretty thick in my area, which is why my SPH count is rather low, only 8.9 per hour. After leaving the station, I stay busy up until 1700, then it really drops off for the next hour. Between 1700 and 1800, I only have 3 regulars to get. A couple boxes open at 1800, two more open at 1830, then a bunch open at 1845 plus I get a FdEx Office store around 1900. It's that period between 1700 and 1800 that my manager wants me to take a break, otherwise I get to my 1800 boxes and my 1830 too early.

MAKAVELI

Thanks for the help everyone. :-)

Most days I only have 23 or 24 regular PUPs, plus 3 or 4 oncalls. Somedays, they will also give me a missorted package to deliver as well. Traffic is pretty thick in my area, which is why my SPH count is rather low, only 8.9 per hour. After leaving the station, I stay busy up until 1700, then it really drops off for the next hour. Between 1700 and 1800, I only have 3 regulars to get. A couple boxes open at 1800, two more open at 1830, then a bunch open at 1845 plus I get a FdEx Office store around 1900. It's that period between 1700 and 1800 that my manager wants me to take a break, otherwise I get to my 1800 boxes and my 1830 too early.
Its quite simple. You are a PT and under 6 hours. No need to take a break. Simply take an extra min between stops and you don't have those large gaps. Learn to work the system bro.

SmithBarney

SPH there are two, one calculates from begin on road to end on road, the other is first scan(stop) to last scan.

if you are PT a break should not be mandatory.
Your mgr has two options:
1-Start you later
2-Get you more stops

I wouldn't change the way you do anything, follow the proper methods, don't speed, and don't falsify.
I also wouldn't take a break as a PTer. It's a pup route, and therefore your numbers are based on customer demand, thus very very hard to predict or control compared to a AM Del route.
If a DEL route is light, it can sometimes get work from another area.
If a PUP route is light, you can't exactly "make" pickups appear.

SmithBarney

fyi you don't need to ask for a walk-up, you can add a stop on your own in the ppad. Just hit Add Stop and enter the address info and dads number of your choosing and boom you have a new stop.

I used to do this because dispatch could take 45min to send a walkup... Only one problem with this is that the PUP that you add does not get calculated into your final numbers for the day...

Purplepackage

I used to do this because dispatch could take 45min to send a walkup... Only one problem with this is that the PUP that you add does not get calculated into your final numbers for the day...

Whenever I get a walk up I never actually pup it at that time anyway. Walk up pups are for when your slow and you need to make it look like your a little busy

Mr. 7

The monkey on the left.
A pickup time is registered when you open the stop, not when you close it. The exception to this is for your dropboxes that have packages in them. The registered pickup time in that case is when you end the stop.

It that the same as puping an FXO over the counter? Meaning the pup time is the close of the pup time? Not, the opening of the pup time?

have him go into an offroad code and read the SRG companion (crazy, but true).

What "off road"code can you use while you're in a 10?

McFeely

Huge Member
It that the same as puping an FXO over the counter? Meaning the pup time is the close of the pup time? Not, the opening of the pup time?

Correct. All Dropboxes, FXO pups, and FASC pups have the end time as their scan time.

Shuttle code 22...but your manager may get on you if you have too many shuttle codes for your route without justification.

Break code 13 as well, but obviously don't do that if you don't need to take a break on your route. Your manager will love you long time if you take unpaid breaks, though.

59 Dano

I just want to make friends!

That is correct, unless there is no package. When there's no pkg, the pup time is when you open the stop.

Vehicle out of service works well, too, although YMMV.

dex 84

Don't know what YMMV stands for but I would never use a vehicle out of service code unless my vehicle was out of service. That's blatantly fraudulent.

59 Dano

I just want to make friends!
Don't know what YMMV stands for but I would never use a vehicle out of service code unless my vehicle was out of service. That's blatantly fraudulent.

Your mileage may very. "Out of service" = the vehicle is not currently in service. It is not being driven. Commonly used during breakdowns, stuck in snow, etc. I'm not saying it's the perfect code to use in the scenario at hand, but I've yet to run into a manager or senior who took issue with it.

SmithBarney

Except by adding a stop on the Powerpad for Dropbox sweeps. But why do that?

Adding a dup stop won't change much on your reports, and sweeping isn't really an option in many areas. Any sweeps we have are usually done by an early driver passing a Kinkos(Office) that calls in a heavy day.

dex 84

Except by adding a stop on the Powerpad for Dropbox sweeps. But why do that?
We're not allowed to do that. I don't know why, I just know they don't want us using the add stop button or sweeping any stops unless dispatch schedules a sweep.