Question regarding SPH

Express Courier

We're not allowed to do that. I don't know why, I just know they don't want us using the add stop button or sweeping any stops unless dispatch schedules a sweep.
I do it almost daily and have never heard anything about it. I mentioned it to dispatch once and they seemed to like that I did that. Less work for them I suppose.

Schweddy

Balls
I do it almost daily and have never heard anything about it. I mentioned it to dispatch once and they seemed to like that I did that. Less work for them I suppose.

Do you know if adding your own stops are counted in your time card? I think there was some confusion over this earlier in the thread.

vwsunroof

Do you know if adding your own stops are counted in your time card? I think there was some confusion over this earlier in the thread.
I am not sure about time card but here we aren't supposed to add them ourselves because if you add, say, dads 38 then you get on calls and they make it to 38 it messes with the numbers somehow. Never had the problem so not sure what it actually does.

Express Courier

Yeah I don't know but when I add a stop it's after the oncall cutoff time and I just put it in the 20's usually. I've messed around and put it at dads 50 or whatever just to be sure and nothing has ever been brought up about it.

overflowed

I've asked if it counts and was told it will not. This was years ago. Pickup has to come from dispatch, so I was told. But, who knows. I've asked different managers the same question and got 2 different answers. Really, I can care less if it counts as a stop or not. If you really need stops just ask for walkups.

SmithBarney

The stops you ADD yourself do not get calculated into your SPH. If you care about your SPH, then message dispatch for a walkup(and wait and wait and wait unless you have a good dispatcher) if your don't care about your numbers, ADD your own stop and keep on cruising.

HedleyLamarr

How's it going Hedley? You get fired yet? (jk)
Not fired...yet. I never could work it out right, but things are changing so it doesn't really matter anymore. The individual who runs the Pup route next to mine has approximately 20 1700 close stops. With traffic, it is almost impossible for him to make them all, so they are giving 5-6 of his stops to me. My manager actually told me he is hoping that I will no longer have to take a break with these extra stops added onto my route. He rode with me yesterday to show me where everything was.

HedleyLamarr

Awesome. What did your manager have to say about the ride along? Any alternative route suggestions (that are actually useful)?
No actually, he didn't say much of anything in regards to how I was running the route.

One more question. So the clock starts when you punch in your code ten; does that mean it stops when you end on road activity? IMO, it should end when you receive clearance from dispatch. Just doesn't seem right that your drive to and from the station hurts your overall score.

Express Courier

No actually, he didn't say much of anything in regards to how I was running the route.

One more question. So the clock starts when you punch in your code ten; does that mean it stops when you end on road activity? IMO, it should end when you receive clearance from dispatch. Just doesn't seem right that your drive to and from the station hurts your overall score.
Yeah it ends when you end on-road.

Back in the day they used to tell us to shuttle during dead time during on-road which helped the stats I guess but a few years ago they told us to stop doing that, at my station anyway.

McFeely

Huge Member
So the clock starts when you punch in your code ten; does that mean it stops when you end on road activity?

My manager used to give us reports that showed ST/H OR as well as ST/H OA. The On Area number was the time from your first scan to your last scan, and is a more useful gauge in my opinion.

We have one guy in my STA who liked to brag that he did 20+ S/H all day. Thing is, his route was 5 minutes from the station and he didn't have any pickups. We have other people who also do 100+ stops in a day and they have a 65 minute stem time plus pickups.

Schweddy

Balls

OOPS, I wrote the following like an hour and a half ago and got busy doing other stuff.
------
If you look on your time card at night with all your stats, it has your 10 and 17 and it also shows your first scan and last scan. Mgmt has all sorts of "time budgets" for every code, gap, etc. That might be one reason they don't want people using the shuttle but idk. And I have seen a manager checking entire route pup gaps side by side on paper.

I just try not to go over my allotted "gap" time for most of my route. For the stops that are far enough away that there is an explainable gap, I make that time very consistent day to day. The one thing I find frustrating is db's pup time is on the minute your end the stop verses normal stops pup time on the minute you start that pup. Another is dozens of airbills that prolong your time pupping packages.

Nolimitz

It's pretty simple real. run your stops as best you can. Too much work ask for help. too little work is not your problem. I ignore gap reports. just more paper to toss out.

SmithBarney

OOPS, I wrote the following like an hour and a half ago and got busy doing other stuff.
------
If you look on your time card at night with all your stats, it has your 10 and 17 and it also shows your first scan and last scan. Mgmt has all sorts of "time budgets" for every code, gap, etc. That might be one reason they don't want people using the shuttle but idk. And I have seen a manager checking entire route pup gaps side by side on paper.

I just try not to go over my allotted "gap" time for most of my route. For the stops that are far enough away that there is an explainable gap, I make that time very consistent day to day. The one thing I find frustrating is db's pup time is on the minute your end the stop verses normal stops pup time on the minute you start that pup. Another is dozens of airbills that prolong your time pupping packages.

Gap report is the best report, for productivity checks. Your manager can sit with you and show you if you are having a problem, and you can defend yourself if needed.

It's pretty simple Click stop A, click stop B, Bing maps or google maps, pops up and shows you the fastest route and how long it should take. If it took you 10minutes, and the map says 3, you better have an answer.(heavy traffic/dock delivery/had to pee/etc etc.. remember the mapping program isn't perfect and doesn't account for you having to wait for things like traffic/signature/finding a parking spot)

Managers Don't like this report because you can prove to them the numbers are wrong
Managers DO like this report because it can pinpoint exactly whats happening out there.
CRR you should embrace this report, and request that your manager show you on the Computer how it works, because a printout in the mailbox is not MANAGING, make your manager do their job.

Schweddy

Balls
It's very rare that I even get a goal % sheet.. they just don't run them for us. I think I've been given 2-3 % sheets under goal and only one was unexpected imo. And it's one of those "pieces of paper in the box" type of STA's mixed with a little attempt at intimidation. Like some other threads talk about though, I guess it just depends on what the higher ups are putting pressure on, SPH or gap times, right? I just read through the EVC thread, too.

I agree that checking maps can be a useful tool for productivity and I'm not against it at all. I have several very detailed issues with some of the calculations but overall there is nothing wrong with conversation about "what happened". It needs to be talked about though, not just "write your explanation below".

Here's an example of a PITA maps pA-pB scenario on my route: google maps says the fastest route is so many minutes but driving that route takes so many minutes more. I think the fastest I ever made it was 3 minutes more than maps, but typically 5-7 more on that route because of overall heavy traffic, # of lights/stop signs/turns, occasionally get stuck behind cars that can't turn into opposite side streets bc of oncoming traffic. However, I can drive completely "out of the way" to a bypass. This second route takes the same amount of time the maps says +/- 1 minute. The second route's time is equal to my fastest time via the first +3 route. The second route is predictable and consistent and it's how I like to operate. Sorry for the "lack of details" but I don't want to post tmi...

I would love to be a "fly on the wall" of a swing that crushes a route.

whenIgetthere

------

My manager used to give me a hard time about stem and RTB on one route I used to cover as a swing because the last stop was Kinkos. I would PUP the DB there, then scan the freight behind the desk. On most nights, it would take 5 or 6 trips to the truck with the four wheeler. Stem time was 15 minutes, but it would take at least that to load. Then I found out the regular guy would pup the box last, to keep his stem time down. I never changed the way I covered the route, though.

McFeely

Huge Member
Stem time was 15 minutes, but it would take at least that to load. Then I found out the regular guy would pup the box last, to keep his stem time down. I never changed the way I covered the route, though.

You could still do it the way you do it, but leave the FXO counter pup open until you get the last load in the truck before you close it. I do it that way because there's always a customer running up to the truck or counter at the last minute with one more package that has to go out.

dex 84

You could still do it the way you do it, but leave the FXO counter pup open until you get the last load in the truck before you close it. I do it that way because there's always a customer running up to the truck or counter at the last minute with one more package that has to go out.

The counter is a regular pickup though so the time is when you open it.

I usually load everything into the truck before I even start scanning it but that's partly because I usually get there 15 minutes before their ready time.