Question

W

wkmac

upslocal480,
Sounds like you are side loading the conveyor belt and pushing it off track with package flow. See if you can get the belt tension tightened up and this may help some. If it has a floating weighted pulley see if the pulley is bottoming out during heavy flow because this will unload belt tension and cause several problems. If you do get a slide get a 90 degree slide that deposits the merchandise lenght wise to the conveyor. This will stop the sideloading and the tracking problems. If the conveyor is flat to it's lenght (no inclines) then suggest that next time the belt itself is changed they install BBxBB belting. This has a very slick surface that eliminates tracking problems from side loading. Also it's easier to pull packages from on the Preload.

Now I'd like to offer a personal observation and that will be all I have to say. I'm a 21 year UPS Teamster so I speak as a co-worker and not a management person. You do seem to focus always on the negative. Even when a positive suggestion is made, instead of focusing on that and trying to put that into practice you focus again on another negative. We all are prone to do it because it's so easy sometimes.

Huge longterm gains come in small steps so instead of looking for another negative, focus your energy on small positive steps because over time you might start seeing some of the problems you speak of go away or dwindle in scope and impact. I can name you tons of problems I see on a daily basis but I can also tell you tons of issues that are problems no more because of small steps. And sometimes those small steps become very unexpected giant leaps and they also instill a sense of pride and accomplishment in us.

Everyone of us here, management and hourly alike, can sit here and name problem issue after problem issue but it's positive focus that in the end will make all the difference in the world. JMO.
Wish you the best of luck!

mac

T

tieguy

The challenge stands fedex guy. Since your reading comprehension suffers I'll explain. You've had many people try to help you on this board yet in each case another obstacle to happiness pops up out of your mouth.

J

jchrist983

wkmac:
I've said it before and I'll say it again.....You seem to be a great "role model" proving that it is possible to be a good Teamster and a good UPS'er!!
John

J

jchrist983

wkmac:
I've said it before and I'll say it again.....You seem to be a great "role model" proving that it is possible to be a good Teamster and a good UPS'er!!
icon201.gif

John

P

proups

480 - I'm not attacking you,
zorro.gif
and this is not meant to be a smart*** question, but can you go back to the hub? You might be happier there!
sad2.gif

D

deliver_man

480 - I'm not attacking you, and this is not meant to be a smart*** question, but can you go back to the hub? You might be happier there!
hahaha
icon45.gif

U

upslocal480

"The challenge stands fedex guy. Since your reading comprehension suffers I'll explain. You've had many people try to help you on this board yet in each case another obstacle to happiness pops up out of your mouth."

What challenge do you speak of Prick Management Guy (which is an example of why innocent sups get a bad rep)? Yes, many people have tried to help which certainly doesn't include you. What keeps popping out of your mouth is any and every reason to continue this little crusade of yours, which, if continues, will put you on track to prove that you are the biggest prick in the management ranks that UPS has ever had. You are the first person I've ever truly been able to call a prick, or any other name, without actually meeting you in person. You on the other hand don't hesitate to do such a thing after the first sign of someone not agreeing with you or not fitting your profile. Your higher ups must be proud.

U

upslocal480

"480 - I'm not attacking you, and this is not meant to be a smart*** question, but can you go back to the hub? You might be happier there!"

Sometimes I wish I could go back to the hub but that won't happen. As far as being happy...the only problem here is the roller deal. Yeah I'm not happy with that but I'm happy over all with my job. Despite what Tieguy, which apparently has a tie wrapped around his neck too tight cutting off the circulation to his brain, has been trying to manipulate everyone into thinking....I can assure you I'm NOT unhappy at the center. Things I've said have been exagerrated by him in attempt to strengthen his...well....whatever he is doing....against me. Can't a guy discuss a problem and still be happy. It's like nothing remotely negative or harshly negative can be said here without that character judging them.
biggrin.gif

U

upslocal480

Now I'd like to offer a personal observation and that will be all I have to say. I'm a 21 year UPS Teamster so I speak as a co-worker and not a management person. You do seem to focus always on the negative. Even when a positive suggestion is made, instead of focusing on that and trying to put that into practice you focus again on another negative. We all are prone to do it because it's so easy sometimes."

I think you have misunderstood me and I will tell you why. I have made the negative remarks about our rollers and how our sups here won't do anything about it and a brief discussion about my sort dollar, which was not started off negatively but more like a statement of what happened and asking why. Also I started a thread that was not negative about asking how long it would take for my union dues to stop comming out and I was basically stoned to death for it and I took up for myself there as well. These later topics have had positive and negative responses. The negative responses were made first by, GUESS WHO...TieGUY! People, including you, have made suggestions and if what they have said can be done here then I've took note of that and brought it up at work. If not then I've stated why. I didn't mean to sound negative when I stated why. All this other crap going on is negative but it's in self defense relating to negative remarks about me by that tieguy who decided to do so instead of helping out like you and others have been nice enough to do. I appreciate it really. I won't stand by and by harassed by that jerk. Some things I can ignore but this isn't one of them. I can't believe someone would harass someone for complaining about a safety issue. A normal and decent person wouldn't do it. You'd expect even better from someone in management. Again...I just think you misunderstood me. I guess I sounded negative about some of the things that were suggested but didn't mean to. Or if its this other crap going on, well, I am just defending myself. Thanks again for your suggestions. I have been taking note of them.

T

tieguy

"What challenge do you speak of Prick Management Guy"

Sadly you again illustrate my point. Notice I have attacked the attitude you present on this board but not resorted to the above type of name calling. The same advice has come from different people in different ways and you continue to dodge it. This type of retort only serves to prove me right.

U

upslocal480

"Sadly you again illustrate my point. Notice I have attacked the attitude you present on this board but not resorted to the above type of name calling. The same advice has come from different people in different ways and you continue to dodge it. This type of retort only serves to prove me right."

Ha ha! You have proven nothing! You can't prove anything when you have nothing to prove. You haven't resorted to name calling? That's the dumbest thing I've ever heard! LOL. Believing your own lies must be a form of therapy but I must warn you....the truth is out there and the walls of reality could come crashing down on you in no time. I hate to tell you this but you are the only one that has attacked me in any way. Referring to others advice as if you had any to give is a sad attempt to reclassify yourself as one of the decent people that actually did have something civilized to contribute to the fact. Some people expressed there dissatisfaction with the complaining and arguing but you definitely are apart of it and anyone that was truly sick of it has went elsewhere. If you weren't the way you are then you'd have done the same in the beginning or instead offered good advice like some did and some still are. I, and anyone else at UPS, has the right to want safer equipment and definitely has the right to complain about it if it's not done. It's that simple. No one should have to be harassed for it. That's just and old fashioned bully or @@@hole. Do you call your employees crybabies or complainers or whatever else you have been saying here when they have a problem? I really hope not. Especially in your position.

S

smf0605

I think you have misunderstood me and I will tell you why...

upslocal480 - Do you think we have all misunderstood you? I haven't seen one positive post from you yet. The only thing I've seen from you is continually complaining and your use vulgar language.

W

wkmac

upslocal480,
First off, why even respond when people call you FedEx guy or whatever name they choose to use? They keep throwing out the bait and you swallow hook, line and sinker every time. You prove their point every time you do this.

Getting back to your original problem, if your still interested in a solution? Sometimes you have to step back and take another approach to catch someone's attention. I hope I have this picture right but you're unloading trailers off a package car high dock with at least one man in the trailer unloading and another man standing on the dock at the rear of the trailer taking packages and placing them on the conveyor. Also involved are roller sections whose safety and effectiveness are questionable. Ok, here's one way to approach management on this.

"Mr. Manager: I know you are aware of the setup we use to unload the flat bed trailers but I think we're both loosing in this situation and I'd like to work with you where we both will win. I know there are numerous elements you are judged off of on the BSC (Balanced Score Card) and I've got a suggestion that might help boost up 2 of those elements. We currently use a setup that requires 2 people to unload the flat beds for 2.50 hours (just an example so don't get worked up) a night and this doesn't include the non-productive time of setting up and taking down the roller system for unloading. A different setup might allow this trailer to unloaded by one person and drastically decrease the amount of setup and takedown time thus decreasing your overall production time which will increase your overall PPH. At the same time a new and better system could greatly reduce the risk of injury which at UPS on average costs the company around $1800 per injury but it would also protect the possible threat to the LWDII element on the BSC. Another positive from this is with the right system Business Development could sell more Hundred Weight or Palletized business in the area rather than letting this go to the Freight companies or if we're sending a lot of this type volume already to the local hub, maybe we could process that volume here granting the local hub some capacity relief as well as maybe reducing handles and lowering overall cost per piece for the district."

Now I just took your safety issue and changed it to a cost savings issue with a chance to make your manager look like a real hero. I'll bet if you maintain a positive attitude and help to look at all angles you just might not only get a solution to your roller problem but you might end up with something much better. With the right conditions this new setup could help your center's volume development with increased volume which might require more drivers which might get you a fulltime job as a driver if that is what you want. Sometimes as hard as it is, for me too so don't feel bad, patience and positive focus are the real keys to being successful. This is just another idea on how to approach this situation. Good luck.

U

upslocal480

upslocal480,

First off, why even respond when people call you FedEx guy or whatever name they choose to use? They keep throwing out the bait and you swallow hook, line and sinker every time. You prove their point every time you do this."

It's quite simple really. I'm not a pushover. I don't see how me defending myself proves any points they are trying to make. Especially when they really have no point other than that they don't agree with me and apparently don't feel safety is a worth while topic. If anything is being proven, its that them continuing to call me names and such proves my point that they are just doing it because they can't discuss it in a civil way. I can only defend myself or ignore. I have ignored the posts that weren't as bad as Tieguys. Sometimes you have to take up for yourself. Now back to the belt issue. We are unloading the trailer and the packages are coming down the rollers and dumping on the belt and another guy is sorting them either to the middle of the belt to go straight up to one trailer or pulling them to the side against him so they can be pulled off by and scanned by another guy loading another trailer that has been backed up to the dock like a package car. Meanwhile the man sorting is scanning the packages that go straight down the middle. The belt is slipping and rollers are sometimes falling and packages are falling off and etc. I mentioned the equipment reports the other night and my sup acted like I just asked him if I can borrow $300.00. I figured the man to ask would be our mechanic. He seems to know allot about things like that. He has been on vacation this week though. We also discussed going over our management's' heads and take the issue up with our Center manager or even higher depending on who we see first. We might even call them. Our sup a few weeks ago said that engineering is contracted by UPS and work all over the state and doesn't come to fix things when called but that they work from one side of the state to the other back and forth and repair things as they come by. They aren't anywhere near us now so we have decide to just take it up with the higher ups above our immediate management. We have been blown off in all other attempts. Our Center Manager is known as the type to take action so I'm sure everything will work out soon. Thanks for the suggestions.

C

charlie

Sorry for taking up so much space to prove a point, but please bear with me on the next three posts.

This was a post I made on October 23rd to UPSLOCAL480:

Posted on Wednesday, October 23, 2002 - 03:57 pm:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
UPSLOCAL480
You are either part of the problem or part of the solution! So far you have only been a part of the problem.

To bring your problems to a public message board does nothing to be a part of the solution. We have no control or direct input into your working environment.

While some have been gracious enough to offer solutions, you continuously find reasons why the ideas will not work.

Rather than complaining on a message board, why don't you express your concerns to those who do have direct control over your working environment.

I understand you may have spoken to some of these folks already, but this is my suggested list:

1. Your immediate supervisor, (assuming he or she is P/T).
2. Their (and your) friend/T supervisor.
3. Your manager.
4. Your division manager.
5. Your district human resouces manager.
6. Your district manager.

I would be very surprised to see this go beyond your manager, although it should not have to go beyond your P/T supervisor.

How about being a part of the solution and taking the problem to those who can do something about it, rather than to those of us who can do nothing about it.

We'd all appreciate it!

Thanks.....Charlie

C

charlie

And UPSLOCAL480's response..............Please note the first four lines.......

Posted on Wednesday, October 23, 2002 - 07:55 pm:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Charlie....Thanks but your suggestions are way too late. I've already done all the things you mentioned and I appreciate them but, whoever said that no one was allowed to ask for help (AKA complaining) on this board? I'm trying to sound nice here but I'll be blunt too. If people don't like reading complaints then why continue to click on the links to threads that they know have them???? Its not hard to skip them. Complaints, and what not, are actually not the problems on this board. Its the people that really go off on others that cause the snowballing effect. I'm not the problem here. Your response is cool except for the fact that you are blaming me for things I haven't caused and I imagine that probably the only people that agree with you that its my fault are the ones that have nothing to do with the arguments and claim to be sick of reading them, yet can't stop reading them and complaining about it. All I've done is start topics that could have been answered logically whether people or agree or not. Or ignored. Continuously reading threads where there are allot of complaints and arguments and getting pissed off about it is the person reading them's fault. Not the people discussing whatever the topic is. We aren't forcing anyone to read them. And antagonizing them and pointing fingers at the ones discussing whatever it is doesn't help and is actually hypocritical. This stuff is happening on probably 90% of the message boards on the web. I won't be complaining about anything anymore but I assure you no matter what I say, or maybe someone else says, on here it will be offensive to one person and not another. People have different opinions. I just don't see why people have to go off about it. Its so much better and seems more interesting when people disagree in a friendly way.

(Message edited by upslocal480 on October 23, 2002)

C

charlie

And UPSLOCAL480's response to WCMAC.....on October 29, almost one week after my original post. Again, please notice the last half of the message..............

I think this guy is slicker than the Exxon Valdez. You can only help those who want to be helped......

Posted on Tuesday, October 29, 2002 - 02:31 pm:

upslocal480,
First off, why even respond when people call you FedEx guy or whatever name they choose to use? They keep throwing out the bait and you swallow hook, line and sinker every time. You prove their point every time you do this."

It's quite simple really. I'm not a pushover. I don't see how me defending myself proves any points they are trying to make. Especially when they really have no point other than that they don't agree with me and apparently don't feel safety is a worth while topic. If anything is being proven, its that them continuing to call me names and such proves my point that they are just doing it because they can't discuss it in a civil way. I can only defend myself or ignore. I have ignored the posts that weren't as bad as Tieguys. Sometimes you have to take up for yourself. Now back to the belt issue. We are unloading the trailer and the packages are coming down the rollers and dumping on the belt and another guy is sorting them either to the middle of the belt to go straight up to one trailer or pulling them to the side against him so they can be pulled off by and scanned by another guy loading another trailer that has been backed up to the dock like a package car. Meanwhile the man sorting is scanning the packages that go straight down the middle. The belt is slipping and rollers are sometimes falling and packages are falling off and etc. I mentioned the equipment reports the other night and my sup acted like I just asked him if I can borrow $300.00. I figured the man to ask would be our mechanic. He seems to know allot about things like that. He has been on vacation this week though. We also discussed going over our management's' heads and take the issue up with our Center manager or even higher depending on who we see first. We might even call them. Our sup a few weeks ago said that engineering is contracted by UPS and work all over the state and doesn't come to fix things when called but that they work from one side of the state to the other back and forth and repair things as they come by. They aren't anywhere near us now so we have decide to just take it up with the higher ups above our immediate management. We have been blown off in all other attempts. Our Center Manager is known as the type to take action so I'm sure everything will work out soon. Thanks for the suggestions.

C

charlie

Ooops....If you read the next three posts from the bottom up, they'll make more sense.
Charlie

U

upslocal480

I think this guy is slicker than the Exxon Valdez. You can only help those who want to be helped......

That makes no since. What are you saying? That I lied about asking our higher ups about it? We have already gone as high as our district manager. We didn't go to our HR Manager but the rest have all heard about it. We have gotten a new center manager since then but he will hear about it too. Like I said...either next time he comes here or we'll call. I fail to see why this was misunderstood and why the need for the Exxon remark? Someone mentioned that I might have to go through the process a few times to get true attention to it. Was that not good advice?

B

badhab1

I suspect that you meant "sense" since since makes no sense in this text. Just my two cents.