Questions about Surepost

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I have and was told to quit doing it. A package that never shows an origin scan can have problems with billing.

Drivers might provide better service, but the company will not.

My center manager hates it when I offer same day delivery. The only time I generally do this is when the bookstore at the college I deliver to sends out their book orders.

I can recall one time I was making a pickup and saw a package for a nursing home that I would be driving by on my way home for break. I ran the pkg off and the receiver said he had just ordered it that morning thinking that it would be shipped from their main warehouse and would take 3-4 days to get there. Turns out it was a drop ship from a supplier about 3 miles from the nursing home.

barnyard

KTM rider
I picked up an early AM and called the center and offered to deliver it on my way back to the building. It was right on the way back, no detours. I wanted to make sure that I did not have a late air show up, so I asked how to scan it. I was told that I could not deliver it. I suggested, I could deliver it, take the envelope and scan in the morning. NO, NO, NO. There was no way to do it without it showing as late air. Then he explained the whole billing thing and told me not to deliver anything same day.

Sigh.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I picked up an early AM and called the center and offered to deliver it on my way back to the building. It was right on the way back, no detours. I wanted to make sure that I did not have a late air show up, so I asked how to scan it. I was told that I could not deliver it. I suggested, I could deliver it, take the envelope and scan in the morning. NO, NO, NO. There was no way to do it without it showing as late air. Then he explained the whole billing thing and told me not to deliver anything same day.

Sigh.

You can't do this with committed packages as it will generate a late air exception which would be very hard to explain. It is not an issue with non-premium packages.

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
My center manager hates it when I offer same day delivery. The only time I generally do this is when the bookstore at the college I deliver to sends out their book orders.

I can recall one time I was making a pickup and saw a package for a nursing home that I would be driving by on my way home for break. I ran the pkg off and the receiver said he had just ordered it that morning thinking that it would be shipped from their main warehouse and would take 3-4 days to get there. Turns out it was a drop ship from a supplier about 3 miles from the nursing home.

He should hate it.
You aren't authorized to offer your own special services.
We have what is called a closed loop billing system.
If we can't show proper movement of a package through our tracking system, we can't successfully collect the fees for said package.

Let me ask you a question Nancy, are you trying to impress us or yourself?

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
He should hate it.
You aren't authorized to offer your own special services.
We have what is called a closed loop billing system.
If we can't show proper movement of a package through our tracking system, we can't successfully collect the fees for said package.

Let me ask you a question Nancy, are you trying to impress us or yourself?

Thank you for the lecture--being new here, I was not aware of the closed loop billing system.

You're welcome, now answer the question Missy.
Who are you trying to impress???

barnyard

KTM rider
It is not an issue with non-premium packages.

Actually, it is.

If a shipper tracks a package that is delivered the same day, the tracking chokes on it. It is possible for the shipper to dispute the charges and not pay for it.

Plus, we have shown that same day delivery is possible, why can't a ground shipper get that every single day for a package shipped ground. You did it before, so do it all the time.

You look at it as providing great service. Many above you sees it as stealing revenue.