Quick Question - Supervisor Recycling Missed Packages and Missorts

J

jibbs

Wait a minute are you talking about the misload scanners/beacons that they're coming out with?

Yep yep.

Since October we've been allowed to either wear the belt on our person and have it automatically sync packages to trucks (which, when you're moving fast like you're supposed to do, the belt won't pick up on packages that you do load correctly at times and as a result, the next package you scan automatically screams at you that you're misloading when you're not-- the system just doesn't keep up. Also, scan a package on the belt and walk past a different truck than it's supposed to go into? That truck's sensors will likely pick up the transmission from your belt/scanner, and scream at you that you're misloading when you haven't even walked into a truck yet and then a supervisor comes around with an attempted misload report and gets in your way for half an hour trying to find a package that's already in the correct truck.) .....that probably shouldn't've been in parentheses.... Anyways...

I found out how to eliminate all of those issues by dropping the belt in the middle of my four-truck pull, scanning packages and then scanning the corresponding barcode on the truck's shelf when I walk in to load the package(s). You can hear it beep clearly and there's a red and a green light on the back of each scanner that visually signals whether or not you're in the right truck. It's faster, more efficient, and there's less room for false statistics. The previous two managers realized this from day 1, and I've loaded that way since early October. The current manager, who showed up about 3 weeks ago, insists on everyone wearing the belt.

I told him about the belt causing hemorrhoids. He told me it's the method and to get a medical waiver. So now I just carry the scanner and belt in each hand while I load because "as long as it's on your person." Something about showing favoritism, despite my preferred method technically causes me to do work by having to scan twice for each (stack of) package(s) I load. That was also the same day I was the only preloader in the building that shift loading four trucks, so I don't think they quite understand the concept of favoritism, lol.

km3

The current manager, who showed up about 3 weeks ago, insists on everyone wearing the belt.

We don't have those scanners for preload yet...but they couldn't force everyone to wear a belt if they wanted to. There aren't even enough to go around for Noonday, Twilight, and Midnight. Scanner holsters alone, without the belt, are like cigarettes in prison around here. And tape guns.

T

thisjobaintforeverybody

Yep yep.

Since October we've been allowed to either wear the belt on our person and have it automatically sync packages to trucks (which, when you're moving fast like you're supposed to do, the belt won't pick up on packages that you do load correctly at times and as a result, the next package you scan automatically screams at you that you're misloading when you're not-- the system just doesn't keep up. Also, scan a package on the belt and walk past a different truck than it's supposed to go into? That truck's sensors will likely pick up the transmission from your belt/scanner, and scream at you that you're misloading when you haven't even walked into a truck yet and then a supervisor comes around with an attempted misload report and gets in your way for half an hour trying to find a package that's already in the correct truck.) .....that probably shouldn't've been in parentheses.... Anyways...

I found out how to eliminate all of those issues by dropping the belt in the middle of my four-truck pull, scanning packages and then scanning the corresponding barcode on the truck's shelf when I walk in to load the package(s). You can hear it beep clearly and there's a red and a green light on the back of each scanner that visually signals whether or not you're in the right truck. It's faster, more efficient, and there's less room for false statistics. The previous two managers realized this from day 1, and I've loaded that way since early October. The current manager, who showed up about 3 weeks ago, insists on everyone wearing the belt.

I told him about the belt causing hemorrhoids. He told me it's the method and to get a medical waiver. So now I just carry the scanner and belt in each hand while I load because "as long as it's on your person." Something about showing favoritism, despite my preferred method technically causes me to do work by having to scan twice for each (stack of) package(s) I load. That was also the same day I was the only preloader in the building that shift loading four trucks, so I don't think they quite understand the concept of favoritism, lol.

So.. you have to scan into every truck before you start scanning packages?

J

jibbs

So.. you have to scan into every truck before you start scanning packages?

Well, yeah, but that's not what I mean exactly. At the beginning of the day they put out load sheets with a bar code on them on every truck. Each truck has a corresponding barcode inside, either on the 7000 or 8000 shelf or on one of those swinging doors. Before we load, we have to sync each load sheet to each truck, by scanning the truck's barcode and then the load sheet, rinse and repeat four times and now your scanner's set up to load.

What I'm talking about is, after all that while we're loading, I like to scan 6 or 7 packages for the same truck and as I walk in I hit the truck's barcode that I mentioned earlier (not the load sheet, the one in the truck.) It syncs the package(s) instantly or tells you about a misload instantly if you're only carrying a single package, but if you scan a stack it won't let you scan packages from separate trucks without loading one truck first and then stepping out to load the other truck-- so it's yet another built-in failsafe that makes the job easier if you just drop the belt.

Seriously, it's like the thing was designed with that method in mind.

We don't have those scanners for preload yet...but they couldn't force everyone to wear a belt if they wanted to. There aren't even enough to go around for Noonday, Twilight, and Midnight. Scanner holsters alone, without the belt, are like cigarettes in prison around here. And tape guns.

We have daily problems with it. Several have busted, several are missing the velcro straps that attach it to your fingers, a ton of 'em have buttons that stick so you can't control when the scanner's laser goes off, nearly all of them are missing the rubber guard that protects the sharper parts from cutting into your fingers, and generally I think we have three extras, so if we have three that go down bad things happen because important people get upset. :surprised:

But yeah, they were in perfect shape when we got them back in October. Now, though? Expensive garbage is all they are.

T

thisjobaintforeverybody

Well, yeah, but that's not what I mean exactly. At the beginning of the day they put out load sheets with a bar code on them on every truck. Each truck has a corresponding barcode inside, either on the 7000 or 8000 shelf or on one of those swinging doors. Before we load, we have to sync each load sheet to each truck, by scanning the truck's barcode and then the load sheet, rinse and repeat four times and now your scanner's set up to load.

What I'm talking about is, after all that while we're loading, I like to scan 6 or 7 packages for the same truck and as I walk in I hit the truck's barcode that I mentioned earlier (not the load sheet, the one in the truck.) It syncs the package(s) instantly or tells you about a misload instantly if you're only carrying a single package, but if you scan a stack it won't let you scan packages from separate trucks without loading one truck first and then stepping out to load the other truck-- so it's yet another built-in failsafe that makes the job easier if you just drop the belt.

Seriously, it's like the thing was designed with that method in mind.

We have daily problems with it. Several have busted, several are missing the velcro straps that attach it to your fingers, a ton of 'em have buttons that stick so you can't control when the scanner's laser goes off, nearly all of them are missing the rubber guard that protects the sharper parts from cutting into your fingers, and generally I think we have three extras, so if we have three that go down bad things happen because important people get upset. :surprised:

But yeah, they were in perfect shape when we got them back in October. Now, though? Expensive garbage is all they are.

Yeah I know what your talking about. I was just thinking the set up was like loading trucks on the twilight but it sounds different. I knew this misload scanning would slow :censored2: down even more and it sounds like it will take some time to work out the kinks with the new technology.

J

jibbs

I'm a skinny guy and wearing two belts around my waist (the one in my pants and the one for the UPS equipment) tight enough to hold up the screen on the belt causes problems when moving around at the pace required to keep up.

It's a blood pressure issue exacerbated by anxiety, but when you add physical constriction of the blood vessels in that area whilst essentially working out it becomes nearly (NEARLY) unbearable, but the main issue is what happens during bowel movements when the issue pops up. I'm also not the only person in my center to have complained about that one, but their answer is always "medical waiver" since the new management team rolled through.

So are you peanutbutterlegs or'd you just steal his avatar?

Last edited by a moderator:
J

jibbs

@Diaper King What, uh.... what's funny about it? Like, funny in what way?

I'm curious. Bleeding out the edge of your :censored2: because a stool ripped a hemorrhoid during a bowel movement never made me laugh, but maybe you've got a different sense of humor.

Poop Head

Judge me.
I'm a skinny guy and wearing two belts around my waist (the one in my pants and the one for the UPS equipment) tight enough to hold up the screen on the belt causes problems when moving around at the pace required to keep up.

It's a blood pressure issue exacerbated by anxiety, but when you add physical constriction of the blood vessels in that area whilst essentially working out it becomes nearly (NEARLY) unbearable, but the main issue is what happens during bowel movements when the issue pops up. I'm also not the only person in my center to have complained about that one, but their answer is always "medical waiver" since the new management team rolled through.

So are you peanutbutterlegs or'd you just steal his avatar?
Sounds stressful.

J

jibbs

...And stress is funny?

Well damn, little lady, I think my crystal ball just predicted how our discussions on this site'll go in the future. Thanks, man, you cleared that up for me pretty quick.

Poop Head

Judge me.
@Diaper King What, uh.... what's funny about it? Like, funny in what way?

I'm curious. Bleeding out the edge of your :censored2: because a stool ripped a hemorrhoid during a bowel movement never made me laugh, but maybe you've got a different sense of humor.
Sorry, I was just picturing it. The tight belt, anxiousness, and whatnot. I'm just thinking out loud here, loosen the belt and stop stressing so much? Don't be giving yourself hemeroids for their sake, or, maybe get that doctor's note?

I do have a sick sense of humor as well though

J

jibbs

Yeah, been working with it for about 6 or 7 months now.

If it's not tight enough around my waist it's droppin' to my knees every time I hit a 180. New manager suggested the same, saw the result, then told me to just hold it in my hand.... so now I've got a scanner in my right hand, the belt's equipment (minus the belt) in my left hand, and being told to carry a crayon and write on every box without painting the walls brown. I asked him if he could provide me an extra set of arms and he just kind of looked at me like I was retarded, so it was kind of like seeing myself every time I look at him.

Poop Head

Judge me.
Yeah, been working with it for about 6 or 7 months now.

If it's not tight enough around my waist it's droppin' to my knees every time I hit a 180. New manager suggested the same, saw the result, then told me to just hold it in my hand.... so now I've got a scanner in my right hand, the belt's equipment (minus the belt) in my left hand, and being told to carry a crayon and write on every box without painting the walls brown. I asked him if he could provide me an extra set of arms and he just kind of looked at me like I was retarded.
Can you unsnap the holster and put it on your pants belt? I hated those neoprene belts, whenever I did use one I'd just tie it off lol. Or pocket it. Those grease pencils blow! I used to either wear one of those wrist sweatbands (taller ones) and tuck it in there, or keep it in my mouth lmao!
Edit: I'd still just pull pals most of the time anyways
2nd Edit: I used scanners at night, never on preload. Sounds like the biggest pita ever

Last edited:
J

jibbs

Yeah, I've done that a few times. It doesn't eliminate the problem but it absolutely lessens the severity of the issue.

I was trained to peel-and-stick PALs and to paint the walls brown. Nearly 6 years I've done it that way so it's pretty much hardwired into me. Now we have to write, can't peel PALs, and no painting the walls brown so each shelf should look like a bookshelf and whatever doesn't fit hits the ground, even to the point of a bricked out load.

I was fcuking flabbergasted when they hit me with that "we'd rather you brick out than fit everything on the shelves" line early this week. To be fair, though, that one came from a safety committee guy and not management, but my PT supe was right there during that discussion confirming everything that was said so it was essentially direction from management.

J

jibbs

@Over 70

Only way you could disagree with any of that particular post is if you were personally there or know me, so hey Erick, get the stick out your @ss, buddy. There's a reason the sort's gone from a three-page sign-in sheet to a single page plus four names on the second since you showed up.

Now I get why you act the way you do on here, man, you just have a shltty personality. It's good to have a face to put with a username, though.

Over 70

@Over 70

Only way you could disagree with any of that particular post is if you were personally there or know me, so hey Erick, get the stick out your @ss, buddy. There's a reason the sort's gone from a three-page sign-in sheet to a single page plus four names on the second since you showed up.

Now I get why you act the way you do on here, man, you just have a shltty personality. It's good to have a face to put with a username, though.

Meant to hit funny. Relax you're gonna have a stroke

By The Book

but their answer is always "medical waiver" since the new management team rolled through.
So go to your doctor....a doctor which is MD and get a waiver/note saying you can't use this type of equipment because it does this or that. Problem solved....play their game