Quick Question - Supervisor Recycling Missed Packages and Missorts

PT Car Washer

Those are literally the only two things that make the job worth it anymore, and they make the new guys wait so long for benefits to kick it that it's literally not worth the stress and hassle unless they can get a FT gig almost immediately.

Granted, it's had it's ups and downs over the past few years but I really need to get into driving or just find a different career prospect because with the recent preload supe/manager/whatever they brought in things have gotten absolutely horrible, and I wouldn't've described them as good beforehand, either.
You also may consider moving to a different sort if that is an option. I have worked several different sorts through the years before finding something that I enjoy.

By The Book

At my building the Union allows sups to work up to 15 minutes at a time. Over 15 minutes and you can file to get paid for the sup working at double your inside rate. Under 15 minutes and you can only file on a sup working and the company will agree not to ever do it again.
So there should be no supervisors working in your building.... I'm sure members have filed and the company agreed, like you said.

By The Book

[EDIT: Didn't realize you were talking to PT Car Washer. THAT situation is crazy. I haven't been able to find a local rider or supplement or anything for my area so I think we're basically just covered by the national contract, but that would piss me off if they were allowed to do that with just a slap on the wrist every time.]

Yeah, bro, we haven't had a preload steward since 2013.

The union only gets involved when a preloader goes out of his way to find a steward off of his or her shift, or when we're lucky enough to catch a feeder driver that doubles as a steward around 6-7am. There are a few package drivers that are stewards and I've got a, from my perspective, pretty decent working relationship with the ones I know. They're my go-to guys when I've got an issue and I'm also lucky enough to load one of the driver/steward's truck, so I keep him up to date on pretty much everything that goes on as long as he shows up to his truck before I'm clean and clocked out. He's always willing to give me grievance forms but he also does his best to cool me off and rationalize the situation, because normally I'm pretty irritated by the end of the day.

I do my best to try and stay active with it but it gets really tiring telling new people the same shlt over and over and over again with the turnover rate my building has. I basically don't consider anybody a co-worker until they've been there for at least a week, because they're usually gone after a day or two.
Keep up the good work! A high turnover rate equals a lot of new members without a contract book. This equals members who don't know their rights and always ask a ton of the same questions. Start now and if you know of a member who is leaving and has a contract book, tell them your collecting them for the next member hired. Supervisors working is a no brainer and the company loses every grievance filed. File a grievance until they stop.

J

jibbs

giphy.gif

lol @ gifs being censored

just, uh, just to get the point across

Brimstone (The Grindhouse Radio, Hound Comics) GIF - Find & Share on GIPHY

J

jibbs

Keep up the good work! A high turnover rate equals a lot of new members without a contract book. This equals members who don't know their rights and always ask a ton of the same questions. Start now and if you know of a member who is leaving and has a contract book, tell them your collecting them for the next member hired. Supervisors working is a no brainer and the company loses every grievance filed. File a grievance until they stop.

Apologies for the double-post, I missed this one and it's too late to edit my last...

But thanks, man. When you put in effort to anything you eventually get better at it, you know? This has been my only legitimate job for a year or two now, so it's been important for me to actually do a good enough job to essentially be left alone in order to avoid these types of spats with management.

With my recent pull, though, I'm kind of centrally-located around where the main offices are so there's always some kind of supervisor in my shlt and it's starting to get to me. At this point, the ONLY one I've got any respect or feel friendly towards is our new building manager (?I think, he's the preload supe's boss and he's always dealing with drivers). Only problem is the others all push all the blame for what they're saying and doing upwards toward him, though when I speak to him in person that doesn't quite seem likely.... unless he's two-faced, which really wouldn't surprise me with this company. The PT supe's normally leave me alone because I'm one of two or three people that never need help and tend to stay clean, but they're always around me cleaning up the missed packages and missorts and so we kind of baited each other into this conversation this morning.

I figure if they want me to do all of these redundant methods by the book, they should do their work in accordance with the contract their bosses agreed to. It's always been an option, but now I've got my finger on the trigger, so to speak.

J

jibbs

you sound exactly like me just before i put in my letter

Letter of intent for management or to resign?

Cuz quitting is a daily thought, man, trust me on that one-- some days I'm just thinking about grabbing my shlt, finding a computer in some corner to clock out at and sliding out the building without a word to anyone. The benefits are nice, though, and I do like the job itself-- it's just whether I can wait another 6 months or so for a management change in my building, that's the question.

[EDIT: The scanners aren't a problem, it's these young dudes straight out the military that expect complete conformity despite acknowledging everyone's got different skill sets, and with the scanners there are at least two methods I can think of that achieve the same end result. They should let the loaders load the way they load best, so long as those ever-important numbers stay up (or down, in the case of misloads.)]

TearsInRain

IE boogeyman
Letter of intent for management or to resign?

Cuz quitting is a daily though, man, trust me on that one. The benefits are nice, though, and I do like the job itself-- it's just whether I can wait another 6 months or so for a management change in my building, that's the question.
i meant a letter of intent, though that's not technically a thing anymore

J

jibbs

No more letters of intent? When did that change?

Everything's changing, old man. The world's a scary place these days, what with all the touch screens and smart chips.

i meant a letter of intent, though that's not technically a thing anymore

Ah.

Yeah, I would never even attempt to go management. Feel like they'd be all, "Hey, sure!" and fire my :censored2: on day 1. Plus, it's really not worth it, in my opinion.

oldngray

nowhere special
Everything's changing, old man. The world's a scary place these days, what with all the touch screens and smart chips.

Ah.

Yeah, I would never even attempt to go management. Feel like they'd be all, "Hey, sure!" and fire my :censored2: on day 1. Plus, it's really not worth it, in my opinion.

You have the chip with the Mark Of The Beast embedded in your palm?

km3

Cuz quitting is a daily thought, man, trust me on that one-- some days I'm just thinking about grabbing my shlt, finding a computer in some corner to clock out at and sliding out the building without a word to anyone. The benefits are nice, though, and I do like the job itself-- it's just whether I can wait another 6 months or so for a management change in my building, that's the question.

I always thought a good way to quit would be to strip naked and do the macarena on a moving belt. But that's just me.

km3

Ah.

My thought's exactly, word for word. Now if supervisors were union, and were in teamcare...I'd take it in a heartbeat.

km3

I must work in the UPS Twilight Zone. Our sups are always working, sorting the belt, stacking etc. because most of our preloaders can't keep up.

Same here. But that's not an excuse for them to be working. Just means they need to hire more preloaders. Or they can pay out grievances. Whatever, it's their company, they can do what they want.

oldngray

nowhere special
sometime just before the MRE replaced MAPP

yeah that's what i said too

also firing a PT supervisor is not easy; easier to fire a FT driver, to give a comparison

Easier to fire a PT sup but that would mean management admitting they screwed up by promoting that person so they really try to avoid doing so.