Quick route bid question.

UnconTROLLed

perfection
I spent my lunch reading my union book but I can't find where it is in the book and what to grieve it under and for what penalty to them.

I do have a voice mail left to my BA but he can be notoriously slow in responding sometime and our Steward honestly needs to be replaced.

Our supplement says (not verbatim) that you can be forced off of a bid by someone with more seniority, more or less. Read the supplement, there is new langauge as of 2008.

It says if you are forced out of your bid job by someone new hire, less seniority etc you are to be moved back before anyone else.

UnconTROLLed

perfection
If you have your own bid route New England then they cannot contractually pull you off of it. Like Jones, I am in the Atlantic Supplement and here we bid on routes by seniority once a year. If you were awarded a route then you are entitled to run it every day. Zero is the number of days they can make you run something else. There is no monetary penalty but they have no right to pull you off your bid (unless something in your supplement says so). My advice would be for you to tell them "no, I have my own route". If they fight you hard and tell you that you have no choice, then immediately get the best steward you can find and address it with mgt again. If your best steward doesnt cant get it done, immediately tell the boss you're calling your BA. If you cant get hold of your BA, you have a decision to make. You can buck up and refuse but that could get you into trouble (depends on how far they are willing to fight). Or you can go out on the cover route and let them know you are filing on it; but you must follow through. Let us know how it goes.....

(1)Brilliant, but no.

(2) might as well look for another job if he took your advice because that's insubordination.

tourists24

(1)Brilliant, but no.

(2) might as well look for another job if he took your advice because that's insubordination.
1. Under the Atlantic supplement, it is so. Maybe not so under other language, but this is very true here. A lot will depend on what language you are covered by, but it sounds like he has been awarded a certain bid route.

2. You need to read the rest of the post before you say this. My whole point is first, stand up for your rights. Dont just merrily go to another run just cause they pull you. I do go on to say be careful once you have been instructed; that it could escalate. Second, if it comes right down to it, work as instructed then file every single time you are pulled off your bid.

I looked in our supplement and can't find any language that covers this, but I know that in our center drivers(including myself, when I had a bid route) have refused to be pulled off their bid runs without any later problems. I told them. " No thank you, I bid this route so I would not have to run swing anymore." Oh, they got mad and threatened me with punishment but I countered with the threat of a grievance. I didn't switch and had no problems, but who knows what your management might do. I really doubt that a " failure to work as directed" punishment would hold up to the grievance procedure, but I am not a learned steward, so again...who knows? Good luck with it.

rod

Retired 22 years
We had drivers asked to run something other than their bid route but NEVER forced to. Some manager needs to be taken to the wood shed. If it happened to me I would become the worlds dumbest driver on the forced route.:peaceful:

feederdriver06

former monkey slave
Different locals have different rules. Ours guaranteed you a start time not your trip. If management pulled you off your trip(THEY DID THAT ALL THE TIME AND FOR MANY REASONS) and you bitched and moaned about it they would make your life as miserable as they could.

MY,HOW I LOATHE PACKAGE CAR :angry:

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

When I was a casual I covered quite a few routes so when I got my own area they used to ask me on occasion to jump and cover another run. I have to admit that I didn't mind jumping every once in a while as it gave me a break from my route and gave me a chance to go back and visit some customers I hadn't seen in a while; however, I was never forced to jump and, if they had, I would have declined and stayed on my bid route. This is a shortcut used by mgt so they don't have to get off their butt and train someone. I suppose there will be those who will say that I made it easier for them when I did agree to jump, and they would be right, but I jumped because I needed a change of scenery for a day and, if it helped them, well then we all won.

NE, you are the one who has to go to work each day in that center so it is up to you as to what you want to do. Jumping would keep them off your back but you bid your route so that you wouldn't have to jump. You have every right to say no and stay on your area but the resulting tension could be cut with a knife.

Let us know how this works out. Dave.

UnconTROLLed

perfection
Again, in New England, you can be moved off of your bid job provided you are lower in seniority than the person bumping you.

Look at "new language" Section 57, Section 3 (k)

This would not exist otherwise. Another example of the fine contract that was passed.

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
Again, in New England, you can be moved off of your bid job provided you are lower in seniority than the person bumping you.

Look at "new language" Section 57, Section 3 (k)

This would not exist otherwise. Another example of the fine contract that was passed.

Are you referring to this language:
(K). When an employee is forced off his bid job into another classification, he/she will be returned to their original classification before anyone else (seniority, casual, new hire) is offered work in that classification.
?

New Englander

BA contacted us today. They can NOT move you off of your bid. I will be getting paid the hours the cover worked in excess of what I worked that day.

They are far from happy :)

Now you can spread the word so everyone knows and maybe they`ll actually train their cover drivers or at least by them a map.

New Englander

Now you can spread the word so everyone knows and maybe they`ll actually train their cover drivers or at least by them a map.

As I told my center manager.....there's nothing in the contract that says cover drivers need to be trained prior to going out on a route.

So no more crap from you guys about "no area route coverage".

Their problem from now on, not mine.

stevetheupsguy

sʇǝʌǝʇɥǝndsƃnʎ
As I told my center manager.....there's nothing in the contract that says cover drivers need to be trained prior to going out on a route.

How long have you been a bid route driver, NE?

tourists24

Since February. Problem is that I know all but 3 routes run out of our center. I've probably twice the area knowledge of the next cover driver.
Im sure you bid on a particular run for a reason NE... glad to hear your outcome seems positive so far... maybe they will do the right thing and leave you on your route with no more hassle. You think they have anything up there sleeve next?

Cementups

Box Monkey

Especially if you have EDD and the route is set up properly by the regular driver.

New Englander

I bid on the only thing left available other then standard cover bids. I'm an 03 seniority date driver.

I was sick and tired of doing 5 different routes a week when junior to me cover drivers were mostly covering routes for the entire vacation week someone was out. Due to On-roads who absolutely have no desire to get them trained.