R.I.P. Ron Carey

dannyboy

From the promised LAND
I think Ron had a lot of potential as a leader. problem is he had to learn how to play politics, and was not nearly as good as Hoffa.

shame he went out like he did.

d

705red

Browncafe Steward
I don't know why some (bbag) always have to post even when they have no clue!

Ron Carey stood up for the members and understood what our job detailed. Ron while he may not have been liked by some on this site and in life, cared about everyone of us when he was the president of the I.B.T.

When Ron ran the teamsters he did what a teamster rep should, represent the members! He understood that he worked for us and his job was to look out for our best interests. Something that has been ignored since his departure from this once great union.

Ron lead the biggest labor movement in 97 and put power back in to the unions hands. How many ptimers are now full time (22.3) because of Ron? Thank you for everything Ron.

Ron i wish you all the best in the after life and my families prayers are with your family and other teamster families who feel your loss.

Babagounj

Strength through joy
Ron Carey stood up for the members and understood what our job detailed. Ron while he may not have been liked by some on this site and in life, cared about everyone of us when he was the president of the I.B.T.

When Ron ran the teamsters he did what a teamster rep should, represent the members! He understood that he worked for us and his job was to look out for our best interests. Something that has been ignored since his departure from this once great union.

Ron lead the biggest labor movement in 97 and put power back in to the unions hands. How many ptimers are now full time (22.3) because of Ron? Thank you for everything Ron.

Ron i wish you all the best in the after life and my families prayers are with your family and other teamster families who feel your loss.

Excellent thoughts, 705red.
He will be missed.

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member

I second that motion....

As much as he is hated by the "Old Guard" Teamsters that let corruption run rampant, Carey did bring some reform to the IBT. At least we finally got to vote for the national officers.

tieguy

Banned
I've made my points about the ways i disagreed with Ron Carey in the past. now is not the time to do so.
My euology from the opposite side might make the following points:

He was a worthy oponent who I agree did much to bring reform and democracy to the teamsters. As a tactician I have to give him credit for always being one and sometimes two steps ahead of ups during the 97 strike. while I disagreed with many of the points he made as the leader of the teamsters I have to agree that he fought for what he believed in with passion. I would also point out that as a leader he was second to none.

local804

I've made my points about the ways i disagreed with Ron Carey in the past. now is not the time to do so.
My euology from the opposite side might make the following points:

He was a worthy oponent who I agree did much to bring reform and democracy to the teamsters. As a tactician I have to give him credit for always being one and sometimes two steps ahead of ups during the 97 strike. while I disagreed with many of the points he made as the leader of the teamsters I have to agree that he fought for what he believed in with passion. I would also point out that as a leader he was second to none.

Great post

local804

I think that similar to other threads regarding a person's passing, this one should be kept to condolences and kind words only.

P-Man

I agree totally.....
Sometimes people seem to :censored2: amaze me. Maybe this is the reason why I rarely visit these boards like the way I used to.

local804

Local 804 members who wish to pay their respects are welcome at the Frederick Funeral Home at 192-15 Northern Blvd in Flushing, NY at the following hours:

Monday, December 15: 2-5 pm and 7-9 pm

Tuesday, December 16: 2-5 pm and 7-9 pm

Mass will be held on Wednesday, December 17 at 9:45 a.m. at Our Lady of the Blessed Sacrament 3424 203rd Street in Flushing (34th Avenue and 203rd Street).

I will be attending Monday, if anyone is going, pm me and we will meet outside.

705red

Browncafe Steward
Heres a link with a breif history of Ron Carey's life and career. I have to go in to work today so i will add more tonight when i get home on some of my heart felt thoughts. Maybe if some people wont take time to educate themselves they can at least click on the link and see what kind of man Ron was and how great of a leader he was.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ron_Carey_(labor_leader)
http://www.nytimes.com/2008/12/13/us/13carey.html
http://blogs.villagevoice.com/runninscared/archives/2008/12/ron_carey_1936-.php
http://www.tdu.org/node/2619