Reaching out for some much needed advice ...facing a permanent termination

menotyou

bella amicizia
Thanks ole' wise one ...every individual has their own go to cliche' sayings,I'll stick one that's commonly used by union members of my hub,"Walk quietly &carry a big stick"..thats what i intend on doing,digging in.
This was a dig at Nancy, I mean Upstate. Stay on here long enough and you will understand. Believe me, you will understand.

I would fight it tooth and nail don't resign. Take it to the panel and don't be afraid to have you ba put the case on hold for a month so you can present the best case possible. I would also find and talk to a good lawyer to make sure the documentation is spot on with the nullification. Also if you get your job back I would quit drinking forever.

Thanks,some very good advice..I asked the ba to postpone &he has done so..Usually I read people pretty well..I feel like there's more than meets the eye in regards to the individual in Labor Relations &the union--they a good relationship &dialogue.In my own opinion &that of a prominent labor law firm believes UPS wants me go away quietly without any fight..

menotyou

bella amicizia
Thanks,some very good advice..I asked the ba to postpone &he has done so..Usually I read people pretty well..I feel like there's more than meets the eye in regards to the individual in Labor Relations &the union--they a good relationship &dialogue.In my own opinion &that of a prominent labor law firm believes UPS wants me go away quietly without any fight..
My BA is uncomfortably chummy with our labor sup, also. I am glad you are wary of that. Have you been convicted of the DUI, yet?

Integrity

Binge Poster
Hey guys I'm brand new to this website but in dire need of opinions/advice fellow teamsters across the U.S...A fellow friend suggest I visit this forum.I've been a UPSer for 15 years &currently a package car driver...I'm facing a impending panel hearing to decide the fate of my UPS career &life...Quick overview,a year ago I had DUI charge nullied by the state that I live in,during the course of a few weeks before the state handed down the nullied decision,UPS placed me into the mandatory aftercare program..even though my state found me to be innocent,UPS couldn't remove from the program&this became my 1 strike &you're out card...Well fast forward this past years holiday season,made a bad decision to grab a beer & burger after work,police pulled me over &I was charged with DUI..I've since been fired &awaiting my panel hearing...This would be my first officail DUI but UPS has mantained its stance of it being my second ..My union steward&bussines agent have said that I have a weak case&I suggest that I voluntarily quit on good terms...I don't agree & believe I have legitimate case...need advice,help,insight& a good joke...thanks for your time &advice in advance
Brown greyhound,

Based upon what you have posted I would put up the best possible defense.

I would not resign.

I would accept the termination if I lost but I repeat, I would not resign.(Based upon what you have told me)

I used to drink and I stopped a long, long time ago. This may be something you may want to consider.

The truth will set you free.

Sincerely,
I

Hey guys I'm brand new to this website but in dire need of opinions/advice fellow teamsters across the U.S...A fellow friend suggest I visit this forum.I've been a UPSer for 15 years &currently a package car driver...I'm facing a impending panel hearing to decide the fate of my UPS career &life...Quick overview,a year ago I had DUI charge nullied by the state that I live in,during the course of a few weeks before the state handed down the nullied decision,UPS placed me into the mandatory aftercare program..even though my state found me to be innocent,UPS couldn't remove from the program&this became my 1 strike &you're out card...Well fast forward this past years holiday season,made a bad decision to grab a beer & burger after work,police pulled me over &I was charged with DUI..I've since been fired &awaiting my panel hearing...This would be my first officail DUI but UPS has mantained its stance of it being my second ..My union steward&bussines agent have said that I have a weak case&I suggest that I voluntarily quit on good terms...I don't agree & believe I have legitimate case...need advice,help,insight& a good joke...thanks for your time &advice in advance
Brown greyhound,

Based upon what you have posted I would put up the best possible defense.

I would not resign.

I would accept the termination if I lost but I repeat, I would not resign.(Based upon what you have told me)

I used to drink and I stopped a long, long time ago. This may be something you may want to consider.

The truth will set you free.

Sincerely,
I

Thanks I.Everything that I've provided in the above thread is factual &truthful information.Although it's encouraging to know the union lay will out the best possible arguement for me it's equally discouraging to hear a steward &Business agent tell me it's not favorable for me or don't like my chances...I guess throwing away a pile of grievances in exchange for my job doesn't apply here or unwillingness to part with the grievances.I don't know.

klein

Für Meno :)
The problem I see is that a company can't fire you for drinking (or DUI), but instead send you to rehab (after the first offence).

You agreed going into rehab the first time, even though you were aquitted of the DUI charge.
But, that admission alone (and going into rehab), put you into this sitution that you should never drink again (Company policy). And that is what sucks about your case !

(there is no second rehab chance) ! - atleast not that close together :(

Indecisi0n

The problem I see is that a company can't fire you for drinking (or DUI), but instead send you to rehab (after the first offence).

You agreed going into rehab the first time, even though you were aquitted of the DUI charge.
But, that admission alone (and going into rehab), put you into this sitution that you should never drink again (Company policy). And that is what sucks about your case !

I have to agree. Its like you being convicted of a crime and going to court to be found not guilty but yet you still elected to server the jail sentence. You shouldn't have went the first time and by doing so you admitted guilt. Hope it works out for you.

I have to agree. Its like you being convicted of a crime and going to court to be found not guilty but yet you still elected to server the jail sentence. You shouldn't have went the first time and by doing so you admitted guilt. Hope it works out for you.

I understand your point.I wasn't given the choice of agreeing or disagreeing with being placed into the aftercare program.I was forced into the program before the DMV or Criminal court handed down their respective decisions.I was following the instructions of my business agent.....I guess it is what it is..

rocket man

But, that admission alone (and going into rehab), put you into this sitution that you should never drink again (Company policy). And that is what sucks about your case !I forget what did you leave the company for? I remember id like to here it from you

klein

I understand your point.I wasn't given the choice of agreeing or disagreeing with being placed into the aftercare program.I was forced into the program before the DMV or Criminal court handed down their respective decisions.I was following the instructions of my business agent.....I guess it is what it is..

Sue your business agent for giving bad advice, it might just work to get a nice payment out of the union !

Besides that, it should put your union on fast track to get your job back, too ! :)

Last edited:

rocket man

IVE READ ALOT OF YOUR ANSWERS TO OUR ANSWERS AND THE MORE I READ YOU ARE LOOKING MORE LIKE A TROLL (1) I DONT THINK YOU TOLD THE WHOLE STORY (2) YOUR FIRST DUI WAS IT IN THIS CONTRACT OR LAST THATS A HUGE FACTOR . I LIKE TO DOWN A FEW BUT I TRY ON WEEKENDS BUT SOMTIMES NOT FOR A MONTH BUT WHEN I DO I GO TO A HOTEL RESORT AREA 7 DOLLAR CAB RIDE TO the BAR EACH WAY SOMTIMES IN WALKING DISTANCE EITHER WAY ITS A LOT CHEAPER IN THE LONG RUN AND A SHORT VACATION TO BOOT if i were you dont resign till there is no option at all NEVER NEVER NEVER, UNLESS YOU DONT LIKE THE JOB LIKE MANY OF US. IT KINDA SUCKS But they didnt recruit me, I never thought i want to get old so i can retire .gooD LUCK .

IVE READ ALOT OF YOUR ANSWERS TO OUR ANSWERS AND THE MORE I READ YOU ARE LOOKING MORE LIKE A TROLL (1) I DONT THINK YOU TOLD THE WHOLE STORY (2) YOUR FIRST DUI WAS IT IN THIS CONTRACT OR LAST THATS A HUGE FACTOR . I LIKE TO DOWN A FEW BUT I TRY ON WEEKENDS BUT SOMTIMES NOT FOR A MONTH BUT WHEN I DO I GO TO A HOTEL RESORT AREA 7 DOLLAR CAB RIDE TO the BAR EACH WAY SOMTIMES IN WALKING DISTANCE EITHER WAY ITS A LOT CHEAPER IN THE LONG RUN AND A SHORT VACATION TO BOOT if i were you dont resign till there is no option at all NEVER NEVER NEVER, UNLESS YOU DONT LIKE THE JOB LIKE MANY OF US. IT KINDA SUCKS But they didnt recruit me, I never thought i want to get old so i can retire .gooD LUCK .

Thanks for the name calling. I guess I'm a troll... I expected some negative backlash when sharing my story.The facisnation of me withholding information is interesting .Been with company for 15 years &Ive spent the last 10 years as a package car driver so I have developed very thick skin..I have no problem kicking somebody when they are down,have at it!..

klein

Thanks for the name calling. I guess I'm a troll... I expected some negative backlash when sharing my story.The facisnation of me withholding information is interesting .Been with company for 15 years &Ive spent the last 10 years as a package car driver so I have developed very thick skin..I have no problem kicking somebody when they are down,have at it!..

If it helps, I believe you.
It's very common what happened to you the first time around (Union and BA jumping the gun).

What's also puzzling to me is within the last couple of years my hub has
had 3 separate incidents of high seniority package drivers caught intoxicated and or drinking while on the job..All three drivers have gotten their jobs back.What's different in their cases than mine?..Hopefuly will help me ...I also not naive enough to think UPS management doesn't lurk on this site.Probably wouldn't be a good idea to divulge any more info than I have already shared .i

klein

You must certainly can.Considering that body your takes one hour to digest one beer.You get behind the wheel before that one hour is up &you will!

Well, from my own experience, they (cops) stopped me back in the 90's as I drove out of the parking lot from a bar (needed cigs - didn't even want to visit the bar, but that gas station next door was already closed). I blew a 0.7, and those dummy cops gave me a 24 hr suspension and I had to walk home (2 miles) in the cold.
But, they even wanted to take it further and tow my car away, until I finally (after endlessly convincing them), let me push my car (by myself), around the corner to a safe parking spot.

hellfire

no one considers UPS people."real" Teamsters.-BUG
I love high life it's one of my go to beers when I'm feeling cheap but I just recently tried another that I haven't had in years P B R. It was good do you like it?? Does anyone else on here like it??? I've got to know.
dear sir,, yes i do